Which media player to use?

Windows Machine:

Windows Media Player for Audio

VLC Media Player for Video Codecs :p there pretty good and work well with Media Center :laugh:

Windows Media Center for watching Videos/DVDs, online Media (BBC News), Audio when chilling out or throwing a party

Quicktime errr i don't use quicktime i only have it for when im on Apple's website.

Macbook Machine:

iTunes for Audio

Quicktime Pro for Video

Media Player Classic with ffdshow to do the decoding.

KLite is illegal and just plain bad, it uses commercial decoders without license and uses files from Real Player and Quicktime stripped from their installers which violates their EULAs. It also installs dangerous "optimization" software that causes more problems than it solves.

In case you haven't seen the sticky in software discussion

I got one problem with GOM Player, i cannot play DVD's with it, or i can play them, but switching trought the menus, choosing subtitles and stuff dosen't work quite well, anyone?

But anyway i really like GOM player, so if this can be fixed in some way or maybe another piece of software can do the DVD then i'll stick to it i think.

But for music, i'am still unsure, tried to install Winamp, but before the installation a box popped up saying that winamp has compatible problems with vista?

Tried GOM player now. The performance was terrible. If i use media player classic its fine. Wrong GOM player settings perhaps?? Running vista and have 3,4ghz p4 with 7800gt card and 2 gig ram.

Hmm, another thing with GOM player i just noticed, audio and video seems to not sync so good.

So maybe i'am just going to stick with WMP11+FFDShow, has worked fine so far anyway.

FFDShow is good stuff.

And if you're on Vista x64, I believe there's an x64 build of Koepi's XVID hanging around somewhere. *thumbs up*

I've been using WMP 11(with FFDShow) mostly for videos/dvd and music.

But i'am wondering if there is anything else out there which is as good or better than WMP11.

WMP 11(in my opinion works great for music) but when i'am playing videos i miss a lot of options which VLC/gom player/km player has.

For music i'am not sure.

What will you suggest using? i've tried all, and i know that VLC dosen't work to well for vista yet, but so far i've had no problem with KMPlayer and gom player, but i have no clue on which of those i want to stick to.

So any suggestions?

Also for music, what will you recommend using there?

I would stick with WMP11. Those others are just extra junk on your PC.

I have uesed it with GOM player and VLC and all worked fine.

VLC uses its own in-built codecs, it doesn't matter if you have external codecs installed VLC will use its own.

I use VLC for video and Foobar2000 for audio, got sick of the static and crackle in winamp.

Media Player Classic hands down. A lot better than most of the other software listed in this thread.

That with the Vista Codec Package, superior

Hmm, another thing with GOM player i just noticed, audio and video seems to not sync so good.

So maybe i'am just going to stick with WMP11+FFDShow, has worked fine so far anyway.

K-lite codec pack uses FFDshow and media player classic. With media player classic you have tons of more choices with you video. Stretch and propper fitting to your tv.

• 2 weeks later...

Why do you people keep bringing up K-Lite if you were told 3+ times already in here that its illegal and we don't support that here...

zachdms you seem to be an expert what Media Player should I use for Vista (x64). I mostly watch Anime that is divx encoded but I watch other things too. Some of the Anime I watch is in Real format. What I currently use is have the divx codec installed, and have Real Player installed and then I just watch everything in WM11. I'd like to know your opinion of what i'm doing or GOM or VLC would be better. I already use VLC on my Mac because it seems to be the best option on Mac, but here I'm not sure.

Why do you people keep bringing up K-Lite if you were told 3+ times already in here that its illegal and we don't support that here...

zachdms you seem to be an expert what Media Player should I use for Vista (x64). I mostly watch Anime that is divx encoded but I watch other things too. Some of the Anime I watch is in Real format. What I currently use is have the divx codec installed, and have Real Player installed and then I just watch everything in WM11. I'd like to know your opinion of what i'm doing or GOM or VLC would be better. I already use VLC on my Mac because it seems to be the best option on Mac, but here I'm not sure.

Why's K-Lite illegal if it's a free download and not "illegal content?"

*EDIT* Read up a ways. If they violated any EULAS, then how come they haven't been shut down or sued?

Why's K-Lite illegal if it's a free download and not "illegal content?"

*EDIT* Read up a ways. If they violated any EULAS, then how come they haven't been shut down or sued?

Can't believe we can't mention the "K" word on this forum, shrug

-- You can get stoned by Obe

I would stick with WMP11. Those others are just extra junk on your PC.

You're joking right?

The lack of features and preferences to set, the big foot print on your system while running and just general annoyances like codec support etc. has persuaded me to find my solution elsewhere i.e. VLC and MPC...

As most codec pack makers agree Media Player Classic is the best video player. It's small, simple, and has no complaints.

I've tried Mplayer (kept -- it's not Vista ready yet), VLC (kept, but the Vista fix makes video grainy), GOMplayer (kept, but I don't like the orange), KMplayer (way too many options), BSPlayer (funky GUI), Winamp (better for MP3's).

If you're into libraries, however, stick with WMP w/CCCP. I love WMP11, no matter what others say. iTunes may be more original, Winamp may have the legacy, and Foobar, the power, but WMP is a balance of all those three. Shuffling, for example, is one of the best. When you press the previous button, it doesn't revert to the file above in the playlist, but instead it actually jumps to the previous file played. Tagging batches of files is easier and more thoroughly than Winamp, Foobar, and iTunes. WMP also encourages ratings, which is often used to weed out the filler songs on most albums. Winamp has a similar option, but on reinstalls, it's ratings are wiped out. In contrast, ratings assigned in WMP are recognized by Windows. In, all, I believe that WMP11 is one of the best library centric MP3 players out there.

I've gotten tired of Foobar component updates, and their lengthy instructions on customization. It feels rigid in their design too. Winamp is a great single-playlist MP3 player, but I want to listen to my entire collection with variety and not just what I want to hear.

Edited by msing

Again . .. . Media Player Classic + FFDShow + CoreAVC.H264 + AC3Filter = Best win32 media solution

I also like VLC player, when I'm not at my pc's, and just want a quick simple universal player.

Foobar for music