Ontario to ban sale of incandescent bulbs by 2011

Ontario will ban the sale of inefficient incandescent light bulbs by the end of 2011, a move that follows in the footsteps of Australia, the province said Wednesday.

The government estimates that replacing the 87 million incandescent bulbs in use across Ontario with more efficient bulbs would save six million megawatt hours every year.

Changing to more efficient bulbs is also the equivalent in terms of greenhouse-gas emissions of taking 250,000 cars off the road, said Ontario Environment Minister Laurel Broten, who announced the move along with Energy Minister Dwight Duncan on Wednesday morning.

Full Article: CBC News

Oh how I hate that so much, I hate florescent light bulbs they feel unnatural and give me headaches, And they drain your energy! Always wonder why your tired back in school? not from the all nighters it's from the lights!!!!!

Oh how I hate that so much, I hate florescent light bulbs they feel unnatural and give me headaches, And they drain your energy! Always wonder why your tired back in school? not from the all nighters it's from the lights!!!!!

Compact fluorescent bulbs are different from the full size one's - not much difference, however I have switched all of my bulbs to CFL's and don't notice a difference except on my energy bill! :p

Awesome! Now make it for all of Canada :yes:
Ontario is not the first Canadian jurisdiction to announce plans to ban incandescent bulbs. Nunavut aims to take that honour by prohibiting the sale and purchase of incandescent bulbs over the next three years, if legislation is passed in May.

Meanwhile, Nova Scotia's government warned in February that it plans to ban the bulbs within four to five years.

If all of the provinces agree on banning them, they should just make one deadline. Who knows, maybe people will start smuggling incandescent bulbs, lol.

Compact fluorescent bulbs are different from the full size one's - not much difference, however I have switched all of my bulbs to CFL's and don't notice a difference except on my energy bill! :p

If all of the provinces agree on banning them, they should just make one deadline. Who knows, maybe people will start smuggling incandescent bulbs, lol.

I can only imagine that happening.

"Two shot to death during 'light bulb' deal at Jane and Finch"

So.. what happens to dimmer switches now??

Nothing?

And you have to wait for the light to warm up?

Only if you manage to buy flourescent lights from the 90's :rolleyes:

Nothing?

Only if you manage to buy flourescent lights from the 90's :rolleyes:

Dimmer switches don't work with fluorescent bulbs. At least in my experience they don't. They got into a sort fit when you vary the voltage; they flick on and off. They don't work properly in touch lamps either.

So.. what happens to dimmer switches now?? And you have to wait for the light to warm up?

If you need to set the mood, just use candles :p

Seriously though, I think this is a great move!

^^

There are Compact Florescent Bulbs that are made to work with Dimmer Switches.

From wikipedia:

The Cold Cathode Fluorescent Light (CCFL) is one of the newest forms of CFL. CCFLs use electrodes without a filament. The voltage of CCFL lamps is about 5 times higher than CFL lamps and the current is about 10 times lower. CCFL lamps have a diameter of about 3 millimeters. The lifetime of CCFL lamps is about 50,000 hours. The lumens-per-watt value is about half of CFL lamps.

Initially CCFL was used for thin monitors and backlighting, but now it is also manufactured for use as a lightbulb. Since the efficacy (lumen/watt) is actually lower than a compact fluorescent light, it is actually not as efficient as a CFL. Its advantages are that it (1) is instant-on, like an incandescent, (2) is compatible with timers, photocells, and dimmers, and (3) has an amazingly long life of approximately 50,000 hours. CCFL are a convenient transition-technology for those who are not comfortable with the short lag-time associated with the initial lighting of Compact Fluorescents. They are also an effective and efficient replacement for lighting that is turned on and off frequently with little extended use (e.g. a bathroom or closet).

I can only imagine that happening.

"Two shot to death during 'light bulb' deal at Jane and Finch"

Hahaha :rofl:

As good as this whole incandescent-to-CFL deal sounds, that'll be a lot of waste by tossing out lots of (un)used incandescent bulbs just for the sake of "going green."

lol, believe it or not, but they do make a huge difference! Our family has recently converted all of our bulbs [except in the fridge and oven of course :p] after we got that coupon for a free bulb, and when we got the hydro bill, you could really see the savings! The bulbs are a bit more expensive but given that they have a long lifetime and use less energy, there are real savings to be seen. The cheap bulbs however, how the tiniest delay that annoys be but its not like the ones from the 90's that "flicker" on before turning on fully.

I think this is a good first step, although, hopefully the ban only applies to home use because those bulbs are horrible at lighting scenes for photography and video.

Personally, a few years ago (when these bulbs were more expensive and power was cheaper), I replaced every light bulb in my apartment with fluorescents. I did this because with 6 of us, all working diffrent hours, the lights were on all the time. This made for insanely large power bills. In the first MONTH of having the new bulbs in I saved enough to pay for the cost of ALL the bulbs. I saved so much money with that little change over the years I still swear by the things.

I switched all the bulbs in my house from incandescent to compact fluorescent bulbs a little over a month ago. I did the basement first about two months ago and the rest about three weeks ago so I'm waiting to see the effect on the electric bill but I anticipate it to be pretty significant, based on what I hear. Aside from saving money they are a lot better for the environment and last 3x as long.

They're not really that much more expensive either, I think I can get a box of 13w (60w equal) 6-pack at Wal-Mart for $9 and some change. Before I had 75w bulbs all over the house. It's a little dimmer but not much. The light is a lot "cleaner" I think.

Hopefully by 2011 we'll all be using LED lights in the home.

why would this switch take 4 years? cant it be done in 1?

It could but this will cause less confusion. Some people don't like change.

By 2011 there will probably be a lot of other lighting options and there will be no excuse to still be using incandescent bulbs.

Good for us :p

You can buy soft, warm, cool, and white energy saving bulbs. They're on display at home depot (Y)

home depot was giving out 250 LED light bulbs every saturday for a couple of weeks to the first 250 customers

Guys.. Are any of you owners of an LCD television that tends to have blue tinted blacks? If so, get yourself the Philips 23w daylight florescent lightbulbs ;).

I'm bloody glad I did, uses less power then the old bulbs in my room, and makes my LCD television/monitor look bloody amazing.

Now if they can just get those darn compact florescent bulbs to get to max brightness faster.... the GE ones we have they turn on instantly but at a darker yellowish color then after a minute of warming up are really bright... they need to get to total brightness within 15 seconds...

don't you people SEE?!?!?!

if incandescent bulbs are outlawed, only outlaws will have incandescent bulbs! IT'LL BE MADNESS!

i think we're dealing with banning the 'sale' of them :p no midnight lamp police raids i hope