Ontario to ban sale of incandescent bulbs by 2011

Now if they can just get those darn compact florescent bulbs to get to max brightness faster.... the GE ones we have they turn on instantly but at a darker yellowish color then after a minute of warming up are really bright... they need to get to total brightness within 15 seconds...

ccfl were already mentioned in this thread:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ccfl

they are a lot better for the environment

Unfortunately, that's not true. They use mercury vapour inside them, and should be disposed of properly.

I guess they are better in terms of electricity usage, but where I live for example almost all electricity comes from hydroelectric power...so some people might be hesitant to use them.

Unfortunately, that's not true. They use mercury vapour inside them, and should be disposed of properly.

I guess they are better in terms of electricity usage, but where I live for example almost all electricity comes from hydroelectric power...so some people might be hesitant to use them.

The mercury vapour is used up by the time the bulb has hit the end of its life. The only risk is from breaking a new bulb while installing it. Use the base not the glass to twist it into the socket.

You'd have to be really clumbsy to ever have anything to worry about.

I can only imagine that happening.

"Two shot to death during 'light bulb' deal at Jane and Finch"

/me runs (they owed me..) :shiftyninja:

Cool. I already have fluorescent light bulbs in my room.

The mercury vapour is used up by the time the bulb has hit the end of its life. The only risk is from breaking a new bulb while installing it. Use the base not the glass to twist it into the socket.

You'd have to be really clumbsy to ever have anything to worry about.

People, especially kids, break things all the time. Definately wouldn't want to have them inhale this if they bring down a light fixture or something.

Of course you would twist it using the base, as if you break it by twisting the top (which is not easy), inhaling mercury wouldn't affect you much anyways.