• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

WWDC 2007 Play-by-Play

rajputwarrior    280
  1. Time Machine and Shadow Copy are pretty different. Time Machine is a full backup solution whereas Shadow Copy just basically saves versions.
  2. Quick Look is quite a bit more advanced and functional than those little Explorer previews in XP/Vista.
  3. I freaked out about the transparency in Vista because it's everywhere. One transparent menubar isn't killing anybody's eyes here.
  4. Core Animation focuses more on the actual eye candy while leaving all the programming to the respective language (Cocoa for the most part). WPF/Avalon is kind of a hybrid programming language/animation layer. Plus, with a base like Core Image for Core Animation to work off of, you really can't go but so wrong.
  5. I thought networking seaching on Vista was nixed and, instead, you have to search the slow way (i.e. without an index) over a network

you can index a network location, but it's still pretty slow. All the other points you made are spot on though!

BajiRav    2,137
  1. Time Machine and Shadow Copy are pretty different. Time Machine is a full backup solution whereas Shadow Copy just basically saves versions.
  2. Quick Look is quite a bit more advanced and functional than those little Explorer previews in XP/Vista.
  3. I freaked out about the transparency in Vista because it's everywhere. One transparent menubar isn't killing anybody's eyes here.
  4. Core Animation focuses more on the actual eye candy while leaving all the programming to the respective language (Cocoa for the most part). WPF/Avalon is kind of a hybrid programming language/animation layer. Plus, with a base like Core Image for Core Animation to work off of, you really can't go but so wrong.
  5. I thought networking seaching on Vista was nixed and, instead, you have to search the slow way (i.e. without an index) over a network

1. May be you are right. Time Machine = Shadow Copy + WHS ?

2. Quick look is exactly that. View through pages of documents, play videos and music. Same as Vista.

3. Sure, apple can do no wrong.

4. Basically same as WPF. You have heard of Expression Blend, haven't you? Design in XAML and code in C# (among others). Sound similar ?

5. Network locations can be indexed even on XP now.

aerowave    0

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but with Quick Look it means that you can watch movies and videos in full screen without having to have QuickTime Pro

osirisX    2

Well, I wasn't around when the keynote was on but I've had a good look at everything and overall, I'm pretty impressed. Note, I haven't seen the keynote video and probably wont for a little while.

New Desktop: Love the 3D Dock. I see they have updated the shadows on the icons to look like they are sitting on the floor. The little lights are a very nice touch. Stacks are f'ing fantastic. I know they will become part of my workflow pretty quickly. I'm not really liking the transparent menubar. But I think it is because of that photo they used as the wallpaper. I did see a screenshot of Leopard Server with a different wallpaper and it looked better. I wonder though, will you still be able to access a context menu where the separator used to be?

New Finder: I'm in love! Having it like iTunes 7 is a dream come true. Love the sidebar. New icons for the main folders! I also noted a downloads folder, probably used with stacks. For someone like me who is working with a lot of images all the time, Coverflow being integrated into the Finder is fantastic. Also, is Finder now a Cocoa app?

New UI: I love it. having no Aqua elements on the metal looks great. The iTunes 7 style buttons are also more tactile, which is a nice touch. Consistency is great, good to see. Seeing those awful purple plastic buttons from Mail disappear if wonderful. Thank God the folder icons have been updated.

Quick Look: Removes the need to have Quicktime Pro. That just says how great it is. Preview is nice, but it doesn't open everything. Quick Look will. I'll find it especially useful because I'm needing to take a look at files all the time.

Boot Camp: The Restart to Windows option is great. Although this has since disappeared from Apples website.

Front Row: Having the AppleTV interface is nice. I hope it is faster than Front Row 1 though.

DVD Player: Updated icon is nice but I wish they would have made it look like a DVD or something. Lots of new stuff in it that I can't wait to play with.

Safari 3: I left this for last as it seems to have been the "One more thing...". The features shown off at WWDC 06 are welcome and I don't think there is to much more that was shown off today. I have fallen in love with the expandable text boxes. Writing this post would have been a pain otherwise. The thing is I don't think I have seen any other browser do this. Makes sense to do it though when you think about it. Now, Safari on Windows. I have seen lots of people go "Oh, it's to entice people to switch to Macs!!! Like hell it will make me switch!!!!!!" Well, you're wrong. The whole reason Apple ported Safari to Windows is the fact that Safari is now on the iPhone. Apple wants Safari to be supported extremely well. It doesn't make sense for a web developer to get a Mac to just test out Safari. Also, all us Mac users benefit from this as support for Safari will increase.

Top secret features? Wasn't much there that was different from WWDC 06. Leopard is shaping up to be a nice release that I deffinatly want to get.

TitanTiger    0

Serious question for those disappointed by no new hardware: When was the last time Apple introduced major new hardware at a WWDC? Doesn't WWDC typically focus on software while MacWorld or special events are where the hardware announcements are made?

giga    45
2. Quick look is exactly that. View through pages of documents, play videos and music. Same as Vista.

Can you give me a screen of previews in Vista real quick? Sorry it's been a while since I last used it.

b0m8er    3
This is so weird. Apparently ZFS won't make it into Leopard. :/

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/06..._happening.html

and you're upset because of....????

Come on, get real - you will never need support for zetabyte of data! Never! So what's the point then??

HFS is more than enough, and I see no reason to get upset because of the rumor that Leopard was gonna feature ZFS.

Southern Patriot    934

Come on, get real - you will never need support for zetabyte of data! Never! So what's the point then??

HFS is more than enough, and I see no reason to get upset because of the rumor that Leopard was gonna feature ZFS.

:rolleyes:

Another ignorant poster who thinks the only point of ZFS is the storage capacity (although you are right that for the foreseeable future, no one will be able to use the full capacity of the system, without defying the laws of physics).

Edited by roadwarrior

gigapixels    99

:rofl: People like this amuse me.

.Neo    1,834

bla bla bla

Oh it upsets me? Interesting. Thank you for letting me know, I wasn't aware of it myself.

TitanTiger    0
Serious question for those disappointed by no new hardware: When was the last time Apple introduced major new hardware at a WWDC? Doesn't WWDC typically focus on software while MacWorld or special events are where the hardware announcements are made?

Bueller? Bueller?

.Neo    1,834
Hopefully Brian Croll is just saying that to throw us off track. I would really like to see ZFS make it into Leopard.

If anything I hope that's the case for Sun's sake. It would make them look like fools otherwise. :p

af4    0
you will never need support for zetabyte of data! Never!

:laugh:

paulOr    0

is there no footage of the entire keynote?

SnowRanger13    27

I know it's the WWDC and doesn't have much to do about hardware updates. But I really wanted to see an update in the Mac Pro. Like come on it's there pro desktop computer and it comes with less ram standard then the MacBook Pro. Also the video card choices on it are out dated. With a few updates to the Mac Pro I could end up buying one.

is there no footage of the entire keynote?

you mean this? http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/d7625zs/event/

BajiRav    2,137
Can you give me a screen of previews in Vista real quick? Sorry it's been a while since I last used it.

Ironically I don't have Microsoft Office to show Previews of Office docs. :p

Pictures

picturekv1.th.jpg

Music

musicls4.th.jpg

Movies

moviesdc6.th.jpg

That is a HD clip btw. ;)

PDFs

pdfsck8.th.jpg

TXTs

txtqe6.th.jpg

af4    0

movpreviewqx7.gif

pdfpreviewhp4.gif

I wouldn't say that Quick View is entirely something pulled from Vista. OS X has always had a bit of a preview system in it - mind you, very limited, like XP. Quick View (IMO) is just the next logical step. It's not like it didn't have the 'preview seeds' (in place) to expand the system.

Just like Vista - But, I think (for me) Apple's implementation is far more elegant and useful.

I'm glad they both have it and could really care less who came out with it first (and not excusing those in either camp who squabble over this nonsense) - It's all about implementation for me. :)

.Neo    1,834

And Mac OS X had those previews since when? 2003 or something, or did pre-10.3 Panther versions included it as well?

Even so, Dhan, Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger was released more than a year ahead of Windows Vista. That includes the Finder's preview pane. So what's your point again with brining Vista's previews up?

Edited by .Neo

PyX    140

The Vista preview thing looks a lot more like Tiger's preview pane. Not very similar to Leopard's Coverflow.

Btw, I wonder... Steve said he showed us 10 Key Features once again, but how many new things out of 300 have we seen? 50? 100?

BajiRav    2,137
And Mac OS X had those previews since when? 2003 or something, or did pre-10.3 Panther versions included it as well?

Even so, Dhan, Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger was released more than a year ahead of Windows Vista. That includes the Finder's preview pane. So what's your point again with brining Vista's previews up?

Yea I know that, I use Tiger every day just to clear up. Point was...Giga asked for it. The other point was QuickView like functionality is present in Vista, I was just drawing parallels. Sure QuickView is more glossy & flashy. But I am sure it won't work that well on my iBook which can barely manage coverflow in iTunes. Not that I am complaining. Speaks volumes about apple's hypocrisy knowing they published ads about vista's new hardware requirement.

This feature doesn't deserve place in the "Top Secret" features. To be honest, I was disappointed by the "Top Secret" tag more so since Jobs commented that "so that they can't copy it in vista" or something to that effect.

AFAIK Vista previews are extensible, just as QuickView. I am not really sure about Tiger. And IMO column view is not suitable for that.

The Vista preview thing looks a lot more like Tiger's preview pane. Not very similar to Leopard's Coverflow.

Btw, I wonder... Steve said he showed us 10 Key Features once again, but how many new things out of 300 have we seen? 50? 100?

I am not comparing it to Coverflow. Coverflow is hardly apple's innovation anyway. I consider it as useless eyecandy much like glass/blur in vista.

Well I am sure there are 10 or something widgets in that of 300. :p Just like Tiger.

.Neo    1,834
The other point was QuickView like functionality is present in Vista, I was just drawing parallels. Sure QuickView is more glossy & flashy.

I'm sure there will be many others parallels, they're both OSs after all.

But I am sure it won't work that well on my iBook which can barely manage coverflow in iTunes. Not that I am complaining. Speaks volumes about apple's hypocrisy knowing they published ads about vista's new hardware requirement.

Cover Flow works just fine on my 2004 eMac so I honestly don't know what you're on about. Surely it isn't exactly as smooth as it would be on a latest Intel Mac, but it works smoothly enough.

It's a bit annoying to read these assumptions when I find it hard to believe you ran the latest Mac OS X Leopard build for even a split second on your iBook. Maybe should wait and see before jumping to conclusions?

Edited by .Neo

osirisX    2

This is how the keynote really went: www.<< filtered for offensive content >>/d/news/apple-iphone-wwdc.php

EDIT: Replace << filtered for offensive content >> to somethingawful dot com :/ There isn't anything offensive on the page anyways.

Edited by osirisX

PyX    140

Woah, they fooled us for such a long time... we always get to know the truth someday!