WWDC 2007 Play-by-Play

It's pretty funny to see how the Finder looks almost exactly the same as iTunes does. Just for different purposes.

Btw, does anyone have a clue to why Apple closed the Apple Store? Did they actually added or change anything except for the layout?

Edited by .Neo

Makes sense to make it more like iTunes. iTunes is one of the more popular applications on both windows and macs. Might as well use an interface most people are used to.

The Safari Beta won't install for me. :wacko:

post-61366-1181590311.png

EDIT. NM. Got it sorted.

Edited by kraized

So... Who's going to buy it in October? I know I am (if it's released in the UK by then)

Absolutely. I was repeating, in the back of my mind, please say it's done....please. Eh, up for a little suprise! But, alas... ;)

Looking forward to October!

I was hoping Steve would say:

"... And one more thing -- It's available today."

Obviously, that was pretty far fetched. But October isn't too bad at all. Not like December or January 2008.

did you remove safari 2.x?

Sorted it now. I had renamed Safari to Safari 2. Made a duplicate instead and now the installer works. :rolleyes:

uh...this should HELP you since you wont need a mac to test how your page looks on Safari

I develop for clients with rather specific needs (read: windows only). We haven't had to worry about Safari until now.

Safari is blazing fast on Vista for me, but I'm not quite sure I like how they try to emulate the OS X look of it completely... I mean, I like the look, but it's just kind of awkward in some places.

Either way, it just might be my new browser. I've never used something so fast.

It's pretty funny to see how the Finder looks almost exactly the same as iTunes does. Just for different purposes.

Btw, does anyone have a clue to why Apple closed the Apple Store? Did they actually added or change anything except for the layout?

They closed the store temporarily to update the layout. I don't really see anything new for sale. One thing of note though is the fact that Apple DIDN'T kill off the mini as people had previously rumored.

Also, did anyone else notice that Leopard is now fully UNIX certified? That should shut up all those people who keep claiming that OS X isn't really UNIX.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/technology/unix.html

Can't wait to get home to install Safari 3, as V2 had horrible slowdowns when opening pages that had animations on them.

I have noticed that with Safari 3 I don't get the horribly slow response when changing between categories on Demonoid. Also I've noticed that the widgets look different there as well. The buttons on certain web pages now also look like they do in other browsers instead of always being Aqua (looked really weird on some of Yahoo's pages).

Also, just noticed that Safari 3 has in-line spell checking!

Safari has always had in-line spell checking, at least on OS X. Are you talking about the Windows version?

Safari has always had in-line spell checking, at least on OS X. Are you talking about the Windows version?

Has it? I can't remember now... and I was talking about the Mac version. Sorry if it did, but then why would I be excited at it underlining my misspelled text? :unsure:

Has it? I can't remember now... and I was talking about the Mac version. Sorry if it did, but then why would I be excited at it underlining my misspelled text? :unsure:

It did but it wasn't enabled by default I believe.

Once again Apple has proven that they don't have anything new to offer, or at least anything spectacular and they resorted to Microsoft bashing. Steve Jobs has turned into an 8 year old on the playground, he so needs to grow up!

Once again Apple has proven that they don't have anything new to offer, or at least anything spectacular and they resorted to Microsoft bashing. Steve Jobs has turned into an 8 year old on the playground, he so needs to grow up!

Wow. You manage to come to that conclusion because of two or three mild tweaks aimed at M$ out of an hour and 20 minute talk? Talk about your persecution complexes.

Am I the only one who thinks the transparency on the top bar looks like crap? :\ As well as having angled edges on the dock... they looked fine before.

Wow. You manage to come to that conclusion because of two or three mild tweaks aimed at M$ out of an hour and 20 minute talk? Talk about your persecution complexes.

Please tell me, then, what Apple has offered that isn't already on the market (excluding the iPhone) in the last year, because I can't think of one single thing.

Oh and by the way, Apple has been bashing Microsoft since last year's WWDC, when they had nothing new and exciting to show then either. And then Steve continued the same trend at MacWorld, where he once again had nothing new to show (excluding the iPhone).

Am I the only one who thinks the transparency on the top bar looks like crap? :\ As well as having angled edges on the dock... they looked fine before.

Those aren't just angled edges, it's a 3D dock. It's actually very cool when you see it in action. Watch the video on their site for the Desktop, and you can see what it looks like in action.

I prefer the new dock floor look, but also think the new trans top bar to be a little goofy. I hope they allow you to give it color tint (god forbid) like Vista. There will be plenty of apps to customize this, no doubt.

Anyone notice this new part of bootcamp? Not exactly virtualization, but almost fast user switching.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/features/bootcamp.html

New, faster restarts.

Leopard brings a quicker way to switch between Mac OS X and Windows: Just choose the new Apple menu item ?Restart in Windows.? Your Mac goes into ?safe sleep? so that when you return, you?ll be right where you were. It?s much faster than restarting the computer each time. Likewise, a ?Restart in Mac OS X? menu item in the Boot Camp System Tray in Windows makes for a faster return to Mac OS X. With Windows hibernation enabled, you can pick up where you left off.

Wow, I must've imagined the stacks, the network-wide Spotlight searching, Quick Look, Cover Flow in Finder, Time Machine (which isn't Shadow Copy, contrary to popular belief), and Spaces. I had one crazy acid trip.

Anyone notice this new part of bootcamp? Not exactly virtualization, but almost fast user switching.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/features/bootcamp.html

New, faster restarts.

Leopard brings a quicker way to switch between Mac OS X and Windows: Just choose the new Apple menu item “Restart in Windows.” Your Mac goes into “safe sleep” so that when you return, you’ll be right where you were. It’s much faster than restarting the computer each time. Likewise, a “Restart in Mac OS X” menu item in the Boot Camp System Tray in Windows makes for a faster return to Mac OS X. With Windows hibernation enabled, you can pick up where you left off.

Holy crap, I hadn't seen that! Nice!