WWDC 2007 Play-by-Play

I have never once had an Apple app crash Windows, but I've certainly had Microsoft apps act really screwy on OS X. And one of the biggest gripes that people had about the iPhone (no support for custom apps) was put to rest. I love the new Finder and the Dock has needed a refresh for ages now.

iTunes crashes EVERY time I plug in my iPod, without fail. In fact, it brings down most of my system. Host processes all fail, Aero fails, the system falls flat on it's face. No other software on my computer crashes every single time like iTunes does. Hell, I rarely have a crash other than iTunes.

The biggest gripes among people who aren't just Apple fanboys is that the actual cellphone technology in it is all out of date. Sure, the hardware is nice, but it lacks everything phones are coming out with today. I have phones that are a year or two old that have newer technology than it has. And Web 2.0 + AJAX for 3rd party apps? That's a joke. I really was hoping Apple would revolutionize with this. They certainly had the power and money to put into it, but I don't see the iPhone going anywhere at all until the next version comes out. They focused too much on "ooo ahh" and not enough on functionality. It's going to be a novelty that wears off in a week.

I do like some of the new features, the dock updates are nice, but half the things he showed we'd already known about or he'd even shown last year. Thus my comment of it being a weak WWDC.

Safari on Windows Screenshot

:x

Personally I think the only reason for Apple is to release this for Windows is to promote Mac OS X software and try to make people switch over. So when they do they'll find that Safari looks basically exactly the same on Mac OS X as it did on Windows. If they would turn Safari into an "Aero application" they would destroy that effect.

Just a theory.

Last MacWorld Expo was a let down because of all the talk about iPhone and little bit about Leopard. Today, more talk about "the same features" of Leopard and again, talk about iPhone.

It's the only product Apple are doing right now. That's it. Nothing else. Nada.....

iTunes crashes EVERY time I plug in my iPod, without fail. In fact, it brings down most of my system. Host processes all fail, Aero fails, the system falls flat on it's face. No other software on my computer crashes every single time like iTunes does. Hell, I rarely have a crash other than iTunes.

Then it sounds like you have something really screwed up on YOUR system. I never once had iTunes crash like that when I was using it on Windows, even on betas of Vista.

The biggest gripes among people who aren't just Apple fanboys is that the actual cellphone technology in it is all out of date. Sure, the hardware is nice, but it lacks everything phones are coming out with today. I have phones that are a year or two old that have newer technology than it has.

I wonder if the recent patent problem with Qualcomm chips (which are in the majority of 3G phones) has anything to do with it? Perhaps the people designing the iPhone saw it coming (the lawsuit has been in the works for a while now). Read here for more info on this: http://www.informationweek.com/story/showA...SSfeed_IWK_News

Im not really impressed with ahrdware releases the iMac is overdue an update a long time ago and nothing has come unless it will be sometime this month for some reason.

I've been playing around with Safari for Windows and for the most part, I quite like it. It is a bit dark but the speed it loads pages is certainly better than Firefox 2.0. It also pass the ACID2 test for those who wish to know, previously only Opera was available for it on the Windows side. All in all, I'm going to enjoy delving a little deeper into Safari.

Scirwode

Then it sounds like you have something really screwed up on YOUR system. I never once had iTunes crash like that when I was using it on Windows, even on betas of Vista.

I'm gonna go with a no on that one. Not one other piece of software or hardware has a problem on my computer except iTunes, and you're right, back in the betas it worked fine, then when Vista went final, Apple had to release a new version to "update Vista issues" and ever since then, it's always crashed. It's like they did it to try to make Vista look bad. Now, I don't honestly believe it, it's just a nice coincidence. And yes, the majority of people have issues with iTunes on Windows, if nothing other than the drawing bug in Vista where it pops up completely black every so often.

I wonder if the recent patent problem with Qualcomm chips (which are in the majority of 3G phones) has anything to do with it? Perhaps the people designing the iPhone saw it coming (the lawsuit has been in the works for a while now). Read here for more info on this: http://www.informationweek.com/story/showA...SSfeed_IWK_News

Not likely since the iPhone's 3G would have been HSDPA, not WCDMA or EV-DO which the ban is on.

I have to stand corrected now I looked at some of the screen shots and quicktime previews. Mac OS X Leopard's UI actually looks really nice, extremely clean and finally consistent without appearing dull and boring (like UNO imo).

As I thought the Apple TV's Front Row made it into Mac OS X as well. (Y)

The biggest gripes among people who aren't just Apple fanboys is that the actual cellphone technology in it is all out of date. Sure, the hardware is nice, but it lacks everything phones are coming out with today. I have phones that are a year or two old that have newer technology than it has. And Web 2.0 + AJAX for 3rd party apps? That's a joke. I really was hoping Apple would revolutionize with this. They certainly had the power and money to put into it, but I don't see the iPhone going anywhere at all until the next version comes out. They focused too much on "ooo ahh" and not enough on functionality. It's going to be a novelty that wears off in a week.

I do like some of the new features, the dock updates are nice, but half the things he showed we'd already known about or he'd even shown last year. Thus my comment of it being a weak WWDC.

If anything I see this cell phone technology as a push towards the future. There's a huge shift towards rich internet applications. That's why Adobe's AIR, JavaFX, WPF have being developed as a the future of desktop apps. I think that problem is that people are oversimplifying the technology as just "web 2.0 + AJAX". I've never seen "web 2.0 + AJAX" be able to use a computer's dialing capabilities before. Clearly, the iPhone is allowing that and more which is outside the score of just "web 2.0 + ajax".

To me, the whole idea of deploying web apps that have low-level access to the platform that they run on is quite revolutionary. It's also the way the otehr companies like Microsoft/Adobe/Sun are going. Not to mention that this will encourage more entry into developing apps for the iPhone (less of a learning curve) and a more centralized approach to delivering software.

Although, I'm still wondering what happens when you lose signal. Does that mean no access to your app?

Safari is lightning quick - I like it a lot :) Also, it doesn't even look like the screenshot posted earlier - It looks a lot nicer.

Indeed it does. And I'm sure people who like to customise their desktops to look like Mac OSX would be happy :shifty: :whistle: :laugh: !

Scirwode

Although, I'm still wondering what happens when you lose signal. Does that mean no access to your app?

The way I understood it, the apps will be stored on the phone itself, so that wouldn't be an issue.

I've just watched the demos of Leopard on Apple's site and they show it off very well. The look is great, the dock with Stacks keeps clutter at bay, and Finder really does impress me more than the current one as finally it has preview built in :) It also comes with Coverflow for flicking through doc's and files. A nice touch that.

Quicklook is promising.

One thing I've noticed; Aqua scroll bars and system buttons are very much alive and well. Interesting that they didn't replace them with the ones from iTunes.

If anything I see this cell phone technology as a push towards the future. There's a huge shift towards rich internet applications. That's why Adobe's AIR, JavaFX, WPF have being developed as a the future of desktop apps. I think that problem is that people are oversimplifying the technology as just "web 2.0 + AJAX". I've never seen "web 2.0 + AJAX" be able to use a computer's dialing capabilities before. Clearly, the iPhone is allowing that and more which is outside the score of just "web 2.0 + ajax".

To me, the whole idea of deploying web apps that have low-level access to the platform that they run on is quite revolutionary. It's also the way the otehr companies like Microsoft/Adobe/Sun are going. Not to mention that this will encourage more entry into developing apps for the iPhone (less of a learning curve) and a more centralized approach to delivering software.

They are cached locally, so you at least won't have that issue. Of course anything that needs access to the internet won't work, but that's obvious.

I understand what Web 2.0 and AJAX can create. I'm a web developer myself, and you can make very nice web apps with the two, however there are most certainly limitations. Plus, apps will be inherently slower being that they are now web pages. This is very similar to Microsoft throwing out the WPF enabled sidebar for a similar HTML only sidebar. Sure, nice little gadgets can be made, but they are nothing compared to what the sidebar could have and should have been.

I'm more worried about the lack of 3G though. I don't care if it has Wifi, that doesn't help you driving down the highway when you want to jump on and check something. A lot of places are pay per use wifi, and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay to use wifi on my little phone. 3G is such an standard option now that that is honestly what's going to push me away from the iPhone more than anything else. Not to mention the price and contract issues. I just wish they would have developed the iPhone to it's fullest extent, but I think that they are doing it purposfully to be able to justify a new version in a short amount of time.