Apple's "New" GUI

Apple's "New" GUI  

725 members have voted

1. 1. Yay or Nay?

• Kicks Ass!
    • Meh, Who Cares?
    • Utter Piece of Garbage

I also would have liked to see them go more toward the iPhone designs because those are really nice. Honestly, I've never liked the brushed metal thing, and I don't like the more recent iTunes designs. This is nice, though. I'm really diggin' it.

Not impressed.

However, they have FINALLY unified the UI (thank you lord), made Finder...less suck, and the new icons + quick view I am a fan of. I'm not sure how I feel about the new dock (the reflective floor?) and the transparent menu bar and I just hate the cover flow option in Finder. I mean cover flow for album art is a good idea because its pretty to look at. But if I have 10 doc research paper in a folder (which is often), than that cover flow option would quite simply drive me nuts. And in this specific case, decrease productivity.

--edit--

When I was in the showers just now, I thought about other stuff I do on the mac other than write papers and realized this:

I do a lot of drafting, design and publish work. IF! and Only if Cover flow can preview me Photoshop, illustrator and InDesign files on the fly, it will be extremly useful and I'll love it long time. But if not...I give up on this cover flow idea...

oh...I also though the quick preview function combined with Time Machine is a nice touch.

--edit 2--

WTF is up with the menu bar? thats a stupid design decision. (trying to look like Vista much?), THAT and the reflective dock floor are the only 2 things I have trouble justifying about the new UI right now

Edited by NeoXY

LOL what?! Those rounded curves on the Menubar have been there since System 1 (if I recall correctly) which was released somewhere in the mid-80s. ;)

Very good, but I've only been a Mac user since June 05. So probably whats nice and new to me will be old and crappy to others. Even still its gone now, look at the first post.

There ain't no curved ends anymore. In any design, whether it be a car, hi-fi system, mp3 players and so on, round edges looks much nicer than square does. I like how the menubar is curved at the edges of the display corners, makes it look trick in Tiger.

Yes, yes it may sound crummy or a who cares attitude to others but for me its little things like that which makes it shine. :)

I also would have liked to see them go more toward the iPhone designs because those are really nice. Honestly, I've never liked the brushed metal thing, and I don't like the more recent iTunes designs. This is nice, though. I'm really diggin' it.

Yeah, the iPhone UI would have been nice.

picture5hd5.pngpicture4za3.pngpicture3av6.png

Edited by voo

I just hate the cover flow option in Finder. I mean cover flow for album art is a good idea because its pretty to look at. But if I have 10 doc research paper in a folder (which is often), than that cover flow option would quite simply drive me nuts. And in this specific case, decrease productivity.

Yup and it's not like you can turn Cover Flow off or anything...

I think "Don't like it? don't use it!" applies here.

Very good, but I've only been a Mac user since June 05. So probably whats nice and new to me will be old and crappy to others. Even still its gone now, look at the first post.

There ain't no curved ends anymore. In any design, whether it be a car, hi-fi system, mp3 players and so on, round edges looks much nicer than square does. I like how the menubar is curved at the edges of the display corners, makes it look trick in Tiger.

Well IMO it looked nice on CRTs but it's a bit fake now on modern LCD screens. Currently I use a mod that trims down the curves of the Menubar and windows to match the iTunes corners. I can't say I have a real problem with this specific change.

But overal it's looks just way too flat. Especially the selected state matches poorly with the transparent white.

Edited by .Neo

I really like stacks. Picture grouping say all of your web browsers into a stack? Or your Adobe apps? Used right, it will definitely make the dock and desktop less cluttered.

I like the new finder features as well. Not sold on Cover Flow (it is more eye candy then productive, although very pretty eye candy), but there is a reason it isn't on by default.

I could do without the transparent menu bar. The new 3D Dock looks nice to me.

A bit off topic...but who else was generally disappointed with WWDC this year?

What happened to my new iMac? Cinema Display? An announcement/ship date for Office 07 would have been nice? Update to Pages and Keynote would have been nice? As much as 10.5 stole the show...

I hope Apple have some kind of other show...soonish

Well IMO it looked nice on CRTs but it's a bit fake now on modern LCD screens. Currently I use a mod that trims down the curves of the Menubar and windows to match the iTunes corners. I can't say I have a real problem with this specific change.

But overal it's looks just way too flat. Especially the selected state matches poorly with the transparent white.

Dunno about that. Suppose it comes down to preference really.

When you see it like this.

index_bezel20060721.png

There really isn't much to that UI that would apply to a mouse/keyboard desktop interface.

Perhaps, but it has better colours and gradients than Leopard has currently. Much more softer and useable colours.

Imagine the top parts on those little screens as the menubar.

Either way, I'm sure by the time a compatible Shapeshifter hits all these things can change. I hope!

Edited by voo

Truth be told - I was looking forward to a Leopard-feature-enhanced version of iLife or iWork 07. Even some news about Office would have been nice

Truth be told - I was looking to a Leopard-feature-enhanced version of iLife or iWork 07. Even some news about Office would have been nice

Developers Conference.

Developers Conference.

Hmm, i suppose so. Would have been nice though - especially as iLife is really part of the OS too - as it comes with a Mac.

Dunno about that. Suppose it comes down to preference really.

When you see it like this.

index_bezel20060721.png

Perhaps, but it has better colours and gradients than Leopard has currently. Much more softer and useable colours.

Imagine the top parts on those little screens as the menubar.

Either way, I'm sure by the time a compatible Shapeshifter hits all these things can change. I hope!

Eh--an all blue theme like that would get heavy on your eyes. Even then, it's already pretty soft.

finder_gallery_icon20070611.jpg

Developers Conference.

Didn't bother Apple the last couple of times when they demoed new iLife, had MS people on stage and so on...

There better be another event soon :/

There really isn't much to that UI that would apply to a mouse/keyboard desktop interface.

The idea is the color scheme, primarily. It's based on blues and white, it appears to me. So imagine that in place of the brushed metal OS X windows. Not exactly. I suppose what I really liked about the iPhone interface was the touch functions, which of course doesn't apply to the typical OS X interface.

The hardware, now, is a different story. I heard that it's a possibility that new iMac designs might borrow from the iPhone design. That I would really like. I hate the current iMacs. The screens are nice enough, but I just think the way everything sits below the screen is just ugly. And fat. I would like to see this change.

Didn't bother Apple the last couple of times when they demoed new iLife, had MS people on stage and so on...

There better be another event soon :/

iLife 06 wasn't revealed at WWDC afaik?

iLife 06 wasn't revealed at WWDC afaik?

Wasn't it? Or did I mix it up with MacWorld? THAT MUST HAVE BEEN WHAT IT IS...(did Steve give the keynote at MacWorld too?)

Eh--an all blue theme like that would get heavy on your eyes. Even then, it's already pretty soft.

I suppose.

I don't know what it is, but I just don't like the current Finder windows. The original OS X windows I did like, I'm pretty sure, so whatever design changes they've made since then have changed my mind.

I guess with all the resources pulled to the iPhone development, everyone's going to have to wait until the next rev to see the real next OSX GUI rev...sigh.

The only thing good about this pass is they finally got rid of the antiquated (and always pretty ghey-looking) brushed metal. But they shouldn't have gone with bleh gray when they did it. The only reason they went with brushed metal in the first place was to make the bleh gray not look so bleh, hehe.