Apple's "New" GUI

Apple's "New" GUI  

725 members have voted

1. 1. Yay or Nay?

• Kicks Ass!
    • Meh, Who Cares?
    • Utter Piece of Garbage

^ yeah I agree...that gray goes well with the UI.

At least they got rid of the brush metal.

I don't even know why I'm complaining. It looks good.

Has anyone else noticed that the dividing line on the Dock has now gone?

Hmph, yeah. Oh well, I guess.

Hehe..someone really increased the size. I hate massive docks.

No joke. Even on a small resolution screen you can shrink it significantly.

hmm...not a fan of the program indicator on the dock too.

Bring back the black arrow please :(

But I was just thinking...

The usefulness of Quick view STRICKLY depends on how many file types it can open. I'm telling you RIGHT NOW. If the thing can preview my PSD, Indesign, Illustrator files...I will kiss the ground it can't walk on.

Somehow, I think the chances of that is wishful thinking.

Dunno about that. Suppose it comes down to preference really.

When you see it like this.

index_bezel20060721.png

Perhaps, but it has better colours and gradients than Leopard has currently. Much more softer and useable colours.

Imagine the top parts on those little screens as the menubar.

Especially like that a non-rounded Menubar looks a lot better IMO.

I guess with all the resources pulled to the iPhone development, everyone's going to have to wait until the next rev to see the real next OSX GUI rev...sigh.

This change is just as big as the one from Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar to 10.3 Panther if not bigger:

? Apple completely changed the look of all main windows;

? A redesigned Dock;

? New system icons;

? New menubar style;

? Complete removal of all the pinstripes throughout the OS;

? Introduction of system-wide HUD-panels;

? All mayor applications got an overhaul UI-wise.

So what you're suggesting wouldn't be a new rev anymore but an entirely different interface altogether.

Something I completely fail to understand is what those few Aqua elements are still doing there. It's like keeping Aqua for the :/ke of Aqua. :/

A bit off topic...but who else was generally disappointed with WWDC this year?

What happened to my new iMac? Cinema Display? An announcement/ship date for Office 07 would have been nice? Update to Pages and Keynote would have been nice? As much as 10.5 stole the show...

I hope Apple have some kind of other show...soonish

It is called World Wide Developer Conference. Not Macworld. Not "One More Thing.. event". It is called World Wide Developer Conference.

You think Apple is just not going to hold other events until next January?

Common sense people!

hmm...not a fan of the program indicator on the dock too.

Bring back the black arrow please :(

But I was just thinking...

The usefulness of Quick view STRICKLY depends on how many file types it can open. I'm telling you RIGHT NOW. If the thing can preview my PSD, Indesign, Illustrator files...I will kiss the ground it can't walk on.

Somehow, I think the chances of that is wishful thinking.

What does the new one look like? I liked the black arrow as well. I guess they've just completely gotten rid of most of the old dock features then, at least visually.

And yeah, that's probably wishful thinking. But we can dream!

It is called World Wide Developer Conference. Not Macworld. Not "One More Thing.. event". It is called World Wide Developer Conference.

You think Apple is just not going to hold other events until next January?

Common sense people!

Yeah...here is to MacWorld in August. :/

@ Helba

Go look at the screenshot...its like a...light blue orb...thing

But oh well...the GUI is not the major thing in Leopard

We had Expose in 10.3, Spotlight in 10.4 and Time Machine + Spaces in 10.5

I'm happy

Yeah...here is to MacWorld in August. :/

You think Apple is going to wait 2 months before another special event?

They probably average 1 a month.

Mark this down...July will have some type of event for the consumer side of things.

• Complete removal of all the pinstripes throughout the OS;

And hell, am I glad to see them go!

@ Helba

Go look at the screenshot...its like a...light blue orb...thing

Hmph. Yeah, I prefer the arrow. The orb's really small and I don't know what else. Not so easy to agree with. But I guess a flat black arrow just wouldn't go with this shiny overhaul. Whatever.

The dock looks nice but everything else is not that good. The menubar doesnt look good and the Tiger aqua buttons on the toolbar look better than the ones on Leopard. I like Leopard's Finder but not the graphics.

i think most people are missing the bigger picture ... apple put their efforts into making the GUI resolution independent, surely that in itself is a massive step forward?

personally i like everything except the transparent menu bar ... whats the point? you can't even move windows under it, why do i need to see that little bit of wallpaper under the menu? ... i think/hope apple gives the user the ability to ajust or turn it off. I think the whole transparent menu is just a message to people who thought vista's UI was 'revolutionary', its as if apple is saying 'Yeah we can do it too' ... i just wish they didn't ...

Leopard GUI is nice, it's a step above Tiger and if it can be consisten in all the OS, it will be good. But everything "new" or "wow" in Leopard is something that can be done with Vista now. So I would say that Apple is playing catchup on this one.

BUT, Apple does give something that feels more "finished" than what we have under Vista. To have a nice Vista with all the "Wow", you will probably need Object Desktop from Stardock when it's out for Vista.

This change is just as big as the one from Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar to 10.3 Panther if not bigger:

? A redesigned Dock;

? New system icons;

? New menubar style;

So what you're suggesting wouldn't be a new rev anymore but an entirely different interface altogether.

Something I completely fail to understand is what those few Aqua elements are still doing there. It's like keeping Aqua for the :/ke of Aqua. :/

IMO, it isn't as big of a deal as you're making it sound. It's called unified resources. Removing the pinstripe from every UI element it was present in doesn't require editing all of those UI elements, it only requires editing the pinstripe texture file. If this was a theme it would be categorized as a skin tweak and not a UI overhaul.

I haven't used Macs that much so I can't really comment extensively, with that in mind, please be patient with me. I looked a few of the videos on the website and here are my comments:

1. What exactly in Leopard's GUI is so drastically different from Tiger? Transparent menu bar and dock? Modest adjustment that third parties have done to other OS'. Are there more visual changes? From the handful of videos I saw, the UI looks the same, with the brushed metal style on everything (wasn't that there before? And if so, just because it's on everything doesn't make it a drastic change since it already existed).

2. The finder update is a nice touch. Searching files on other PCs, that's nice too, ya know, having it more integrated with the OS.

3. The stacks is nice, and creative, but not entirely new. ObjectDock has been having similar features for a few years now if I'm not mistaken. Still, watching the demo and it in use, it was a nice feature.

4. Reflections of your programs on the dock... eh? Drooling over such a minimal thing that will lose its novelty in a matter of minutes if not seconds? Sorry, it's just not that great of a thing. I found it rather silly to highlight it in the demonstration video on the website, as opposed to possibly highlighting other areas. Maybe leave it as an easter egg of sorts.

Please share with me the drastic differences that make Leopard's GUI totally new compared to Tiger. Honestly, from what little usage out of Macs that I've had in the past and what I've seen on the web, I really can't tell the difference, so please learn me ;)

? A redesigned Dock;

? New system icons;

? New menubar style;

One thing your not thinking of, all displays, CRT, LCD, whatever have a black trim around the picture there isn't a display that goes right to the edges of the screen. Thus having the rounded corners on the menubar make it look more flush with the display. If there weren't a black trim around it, then I agree straight would look much better, but thats;)ot the case ;) I'm with voo on this one.

Also as far as everything you listed, thats not really a big change, for starters applications won't need to be skinned 1 at a time, they can all take effect the new theme, buttons maybe, but thats not exactly a tough task. Everything you mentioned people do for Mac OS for free, they are called themers. Apple can't dedicate a team to reviving the Aqua interface? Unless the GUI completely changes come October (don't count on it, but hey, why not) I don't think it will ever see a major change until Mac OS 11.

Nonetheless, at least the iPhone has a nice interface?

That new menubar is disgusting. I prefer things the way they look in Tiger, with the exception of the reflections in the dock.

i love the new UI, i will be turning off the transparent menu bar though (that will be an option...right??....)

if not, a hack im sure

Wow.

I was at work and I couldn't wait to get home in order to surf around freely and have a look at thr new GUI.

Apple impresses yet again. Reminds me why I left Windows behind.

If the transparent menu bar were to be accompanied with actual transparent (not opaque) menus, it wouldn't be so bad. But yeah, I'm pretty impressed with Leopard now, especially with the unified interface, new Finder, Stacks, and Quicklook. Definitely a much more revolutionary step than the change from XP to Vista, that's for sure. Should have been referred to as Mac OS XI (11.0) or something.