Does Red Bull really work?

RedBull?

It's 80mg of Caffeine, that's less than the average Coffee cup.

Taurine is given to Cats in their food...

I'm addicted to energy drinks because of caffeine now (I'm not a coffee lover)...

hey,

Horrbile effects on you body....if you in to any kind of fitness stay away....

Such as? Typical Neowin response...

Red Bull is just a caffeine drink. The "effect on you body" are no different than a cup of coffee.

I only use that stuff sometimes at work when I'm really tired and not able to do anything efficiently. And then I crash that night and sleep like it's my job haha. I never used it for track or anything like that cause it seemed unnatural to me and for studying, I wouldn't use it. I'd just rely on hitting the books hard and getting good sleep. If you use it to stay up and study, you might crash and feel terrible for test day.

My opinion: study earlier, take breaks - go outside and exercise. Seriously.

I just graduated. I had a rough time keeping up with my workload in my last semester at university. I "trashed" my body drinking Pepsi, Redbull and Rockstart for a few consecutive weekends and decided to stop after. Enough was enough.

I decided that at first drinking more coffee, Redbull (or Rockstar when that "didn't work"), caffeine pills, etc. would be the solution. I didn't get work done because I'd get too wired (I'm a sensitive to caffeine) or I really didn't feel like doing the work but was wired on caffeine. Time permitting, go out with friends or exercise. You'll feel better short term and long term and be able to concentrate more.

For the most part, all energy drinks are horrible for your body/heart. I would avoid it and just study what you need to know as mentioned.

have a good meal before the exam and that should make you feel more awake then drinking

Good, but not big, as that could make you sleepy.

I always found red bull to be great for waking me up but not keeping me awake...if I am tired nothing will help...

Same here. It can't add extra alertness. I believe it interferes with the "I need sleep" chemicals in your brain, but it doesn't stop more of them being produced.

you all are dumb. nothing can replace a good night's sleep. go to bed, get 7-8hrs and study more before the exam.

Well yes that would be ideal. I don't get why these people think it's a good idea to stay up all night and make themselves exhausted during the exam, right when they need to be wide awake and on their toes.

Personally I think that if you've done all the homework & classes you were meant to, a good nights sleep is better than silly last minute studying, especially for a subject like maths. And if you haven't done those as well as not revising, then you are an idiot, you are probably going to fail anyway and you'll deserve it.

Dont drink one before you go to sleep. You wake up feeling like you've not been to bed.

Have one before you go into the exam, if you really feel the need.

Yeah, good advice! Btw. drinking 2l of cola without eating something will produce similar effect

Taurine is given to Cats in their food...

lol, and your point with that? :)

"itz like cat food omg?" :)

I think Red Bull works reasonably well for staying awake, but I think coffee works even better. Like others I recommend that if consuming caffeine, you do it on the exam. Although staying up long on the night before can be good for studying, the effect can be you're tired afterwards, and can even get blackouts in what you've learnt. That's common for people that start studying late and hard.

Edited by Jugalator

red bull and alot of other energy drinks dont effect me at all, i dont have more energy, or feel more awake.

i sobe gives me a boost, i guess i just need lots of sugar?

My opinion: study earlier, take breaks - go outside and exercise. Seriously.

I just graduated. I had a rough time keeping up with my workload in my last semester at university. I "trashed" my body drinking Pepsi, Redbull and Rockstart for a few consecutive weekends and decided to stop after. Enough was enough.

I decided that at first drinking more coffee, Redbull (or Rockstar when that "didn't work"), caffeine pills, etc. would be the solution. I didn't get work done because I'd get too wired (I'm a sensitive to caffeine) or I really didn't feel like doing the work but was wired on caffeine. Time permitting, go out with friends or exercise. You'll feel better short term and long term and be able to concentrate more.

QFT.

Your better off getting a early night, maybe even a bath before bed. Study in the morning, its fresh in your mind then :)

Red Bull, Peanut M&Ms and Pro Plus (not sure if you can get Pro Plus in the US [caffeine tablets]).

N.B. I take no responsibility for any effects of this :D

i love pro plusl ol!

Does Red Bull work? Well, it doesn't give you wings in a literal sense but it can help pick you up and be more alert...

As far as drinking it until the small hours before a big exam, well you may be better of getting some sleep! Only having 3-4 hours sleep will lower your performance no matter what you take.

Good luck!

(Has anyone else ever drunk enough Vodka + Red Bull to pass out and then woken up at about 04:30 wide awake on a buzz from the caffine? Or is that just me???)

If I use them or pro plus (generally both together) it will keep me going for a while but even so I will hit the wall, metaphorically speaking, and need to go to sleep. I generally use them to wake me up by the balls or to keep me pepped and concentrated in lectures during the day. My attention span has been known to drift in dull periods.

(Has anyone else ever drunk enough Vodka + Red Bull to pass out and then woken up at about 04:30 wide awake on a buzz from the caffine? Or is that just me???)

I drunk about 5 glasses of it and I think all night I could hear more things in the distance then I ever could :D :laugh:

For the most part, all energy drinks are horrible for your body/heart. I would avoid it and just study what you need to know as mentioned.

How so? How about some evidence to back this up!!!!!

How so? How about some evidence to back this up!!!!!

It's well known that caffeine is bad for your heart (and mind). Go ask a doctor!

Anything with a high concentration of caffeine (i.e. Red Bull) is very bad for you. Not only are you creating an addiction - you're also setting it unnaturally high (i.e. you will need larger amounts to get same or similar effect in the future). You are better off drinking tea, coffee or even Coca Cola, as the caffeine level is far less. Best yet is to drink water regularly throughout the day and get a full night of sleep.

Edited by pjak

I don't think Red Bull is a proper energy drink, it's labelled as a "stimulation" drink. You might be better off with Lucozade or something instead.

And from my own experience, Lucozade really does help give you energy when you need it, but it doesn't last long.

Once time I drank 15 cans of Red bull in about 3 hours and crashed 2 hours after that, so go figure.

It's well known that caffeine is bad for your heart. Go ask a doctor!

Anything with a high concentration of caffeine (i.e. Red Bull) is very bad for you - you are better off drinking tea, coffee or even Coca Cola, as the caffeine level is far less. Best yet is to drink water regularly throughout the day and get a full night of sleep.

Caffeine, even in moderate amounts, is not bad for your heart assuming you are healthy. There are -zero- scientific studies that show a link between caffeine consumption any kind of negative/permanent effects on the heart. Please prove me wrong and post a link to one here. Thanks.

The amount of caffeine in Red Bull is less than a regular cup of brewed coffee. A regular can of Red Bull contains 80 mg of caffeine. An 8 oz cup of coffe contains 135 mg. The largest size coffee that Starbucks sells contains 259 mg of caffeine; that's over 3 cans of Red Bull. Are people keeling over from visiting Starbucks everyday? No!!!! Source: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeine/AN01211

Furthermore, the caffeine in black tea has a higher bioavailability and uptake by the body is swifter than caffeine in coffee or cola. In short, while the concentration of caffeine in tea is less than coffee, the concentration of it in your blood is very similar.

You guys need to do your homework before posting responses. Cite articles and scientific studies if you can. This is how you have a valid and meaningful discussion.

speed ball sends us rockin at work, and no not what your thinking .....1shot short black coffee + 1 can of coke + 1 scope of icecream into a cup basically a coffee coke spider