Windows Ultimate Extras

Is Ultimate Extras a Sham?  

334 members have voted

1. 1. Are you satisfied by the value of Ultimate Extras?

• Yes
    • What Ultimate Extras?
    • No

dl0711: Full of crap mate, sorry but Ultimate is a full feature set version of Vista, as opposed to the reduced set versions Business and Home(s). The extras are just the extras - not the reason to purchase!

The extras are just the extras - not the reason to purchase!

Obviously no one should expect any more extras, MS really has no obligation to provide any more of them. But from a customer satisfaction point of view, it sure is a good way to get people upset.

You can't say MS never marketed Ultimate as something more than just business and premium combined. Look at the Windows Ultimate page Windows Ultimate page. They made a special site for Ultimate owners, and tried to make it seem/feel like a community site were users can remain in close contact and have some kind of relationship with the "Ultimate Extras" team. As it stands that page doesn't look like it's been updated in the past 3 months.

Edited by geoken

Why? No one promised an Extra every month or so... :roll: It's customers' expectations that will get them upset, and it ain't MS' fault.

True, they didn't promise anything. But it is normal for people to set minimum expectations. For example, there's no "promise" that Microsoft will improve the performance reliability of its operating systems after release, but it is expected they do. There is no promise when you buy a TV/music subscription service there will be more content added, but is expected there is.

The expectation isn't particularly high. They don't even have to deliver any 'extras' in the immediate future, but at least give a roadmap or schedule on what they intend to do over the coming weeks/months/years.

Eh, they can do better than those 3 'extras'.

Sadly Windows Vista Ultimate Extras is a joke. :|

A very expensive and sad joke. :( I'm somewhat surprised that no one has attempted to sue Microsoft over it.

A very expensive and sad joke. :( I'm somewhat surprised that no one has attempted to sue Microsoft over it.

Sue for something that is free for Ultimate users?

This is the main reason to get Vista Ultimate:

Vista Ultimate = Vista Business features + Vista Home Premium features

Ultimate Extras is the same crap as Plus for XP... so dont expect too much!...

well, Microsoft has to do it part with equal opportunity employment and 'hire the handicap'

Technically though, the Ultimate Extras are just free extras that Ultimate users get. They're not something you paid for. Doli is correct in that.

Free? :laugh: Microsoft .. Free? :laugh: Ultimate Extras Free? :laugh: *gasp* :| You're funny, very funny.

Windows Vista Ultimate. This edition provides a superset of all the features of the other editions of Windows Vista, including the media capabilities of Windows Vista Home Premium and the business features of Windows Vista Business. It adds Windows BitLocker Drive Encryption to help protect data on a lost or stolen PC. Windows Vista Ultimate also offers Windows Ultimate Extras, free downloads that extend functionality or provide new features.

Nobody forced you to buy Ultimatet. Also you can find paid and free alternates to all 4 Extras out now.

Example Dreamscene -> VLC player's Wallpaper mode.

Considering the upgrade version of Ultimate costs nearly the same as full Business or Home Premium...

...and that I had a valid XP Pro install ...

... I don't see how it wasn't worth the price.

Why buy a full Business when I can get Ultimate for nearly the same, and get a few goodies for the difference in price. A simple poker game would cost about 10 in the store, a cool desktop background program that lets you use your own videos would probably be another 10. Just about the difference in cost between Business (full) and Ultimate (upgrade).

Frankly though, I'd rather have had Dreamscene as a screensaver instead of a desktop.

Eh, they can do better than those 3 'extras'.

Eh, that's about all Vista is anyway. Extra crap included in XP. Kind of like Windows Me was to 98SE, and just as bad of an upgrade!!

Eh, that's about all Vista is anyway. Extra crap included in XP. Kind of like Windows Me was to 98SE, and just as bad of an upgrade!!

:laugh: Oh man, ignorance like this really amuses me! Thanks for the laugh!

Ultimate Extras truly is a joke. Just reading the extra page in control panel, I ask myself, "Did Microsoft really follow through with everything here?". Aside from the single add-on pack, I know of no "premium services" or content that have been given to us.

Ultimate Extras truly is a joke. Just reading the extra page in control panel, I ask myself, "Did Microsoft really follow through with everything here?". Aside from the single add-on pack, I know of no "premium services" or content that have been given to us.

Are you impatient or something? Vista has been out for less than 6 months. They'll give us something, but it'll definitely take some time.

Are you impatient or something? Vista has been out for less than 6 months. They'll give us something, but it'll definitely take some time.

Speculate all you want, the fact of the matter is that Microsoft is disappointing a large amount of Ultimate users with a lack of content.

I'd rather they work on SP1 than some goodies. Yes, I have Vista Ultimate.

I think such a large company should have no problem accomplishing BOTH. The way it looks now, SP1 will more than likely be a rollup of updates for easier deployment, and just that.