Windows Ultimate Extras

Is Ultimate Extras a Sham?  

334 members have voted

1. 1. Are you satisfied by the value of Ultimate Extras?

• Yes
    • What Ultimate Extras?
    • No

I always found UE to be a marketing gimmick (I seriously don't want my desktop to be a movie...). To me, Ultimate edition would be all features of Vista at RTM. Nothing more; so this isn't all that disappointing.

Neowin is not the entire world. It's an extremely small percentage of the population, most of which is more technically inclined than the average population. I wouldn't take poll results here and use them to generalize.

No its not but then neither is your view that Ultimate Extras represents value, don't overvalue yourself man. Clearly most are not impressed and I think Microsoft owes its Vista Ultimate customers and owes them big.

why is it that people think ultimate extras is just dreamscene? sure, thats the main purpuse, but I want to see more then just eye candy. security, multi meidia freatures are on my list..

Inspired by: istartedsomething

I'm annoyed, at the moment Ultimate Extras has a preview dreamscene, a silly game and a security product I don't care for.

I think I'm going to call Microsoft tomorrow and ask about my Ultimate Extras.

Cracks me up all those people who say "yah yah, buy ultimate, its the BEST version of vista!!"

According to the poll, that extra cash you spent wasn't worth it lol.

ok its about time the Extras team steps up to the plate and be truthfull..

so here are some of the Teams Email address

Aaron Hare - Found On Google

( ahare@online.microsoft.com )

( ahare@microsoft.com )

Alex Kipman - Found On Google

( akipman@online.microsoft.com )

( akipman@microsoft.com )

Bill Mitchell - Taken a guess of what the email address is

( bmitchell@online.microsoft.com )

( bmitchell@microsoft.com )

Connie Missimer - Taken a guess of what the email address is

( cmissimer@online.microsoft.com )

( cmissimer@microsoft.com )

Craig Campbell - Taken a guess of what the email address is

( ccampbell@online.microsoft.com )

( ccampbell@microsoft.com )

Erik Neuenschwander - Found On Google

( t-erikne@microsoft.com )

( t-erikne@online.microsoft.com )

I'm in the works of searching for the ALL of the teams email address.

No its not but then neither is your view that Ultimate Extras represents value, don't overvalue yourself man. Clearly most are not impressed and I think Microsoft owes its Vista Ultimate customers and owes them big.

I never overvalued myself. However, I'm speaking from my friends that aren't so computer savvy, who much more accurately represent the rest of the population than Neowin does.

I never overvalued myself. However, I'm speaking from my friends that aren't so computer savvy, who much more accurately represent the rest of the population than Neowin does.

what friend is that?? your Palm????

what friend is that?? your Palm????

Nice. So you have nothing more to add to the matter? Thanks for participating then. Bye bye.

Nice. So you have nothing more to add to the matter? Thanks for participating then. Bye bye.

seems like you don't aswell.. all your doing is repeating yourself over and over again.

seems like you don't aswell.. all your doing is repeating yourself over and over again.

Yet am I resorting to immaturely attacking the posters? No. I'm not going to be immature about it, I'm simply trying to get my point across. Please, grow up, as you are far too immature to be 26.

and you think saying

friends that aren't so computer savvy, who much more accurately represent the rest of the population than Neowin does.
mature??

so let your friends speak on here dont speak for them. by saying

more accurately represent the rest of the population than Neowin does
is being immature aswell since you dont know Half of the users on here to even say such a thing.

So you think people who even know what Remote Desktop and BitLocker are, let alone want to get the version of Vista that has these features along with media sharing, outnumber people who bought Ultimate because MS said it was the best version and was going to get plenty of cool extra content and special services?

Basically what you're saying is that if you asked non-savvy users this question;

Why did you buy Ultimate?

a) Because I heard they were going to come out with a lot of cool extras like games, apps, etc.

b) Because I wanted features like IIS7, Drive encryption and a remote desktop server without giving up Home premiums Multimedia features.

more of them would answer b than a? I have a really hard time believing that.

Basically what you're saying is that if you asked non-savvy users this question;

Why did you buy Ultimate?

a) Because I heard they were going to come out with a lot of cool extras like games, apps, etc.

b) Because I wanted features like IIS7, Drive encryption and a remote desktop server without giving up Home premiums Multimedia features.

more of them would answer b than a? I have a really hard time believing that.

Then they didnt do any research of what they are really getting or for some strange reason they like to pay a lot of money just to have the option to download free extras.

On the "Windows Vista: Compare Editions" page you will see the "Ultimate extras" are nowhere to be found so again Ultimate was never about extras.

Yet am I resorting to immaturely attacking the posters? No. I'm not going to be immature about it, I'm simply trying to get my point across. Please, grow up, as you are far too immature to be 26.
and you think saying mature??

so let your friends speak on here dont speak for them. by saying is being immature aswell since you dont know Half of the users on here to even say such a thing.

can we go one day with out bashing on peoples maturty level? :rolleyes:

if you dont like or cant stand someones comments, dont respond! simple as that. Jusy ignore them. Would you say that to someones face in the real world? If you got the guts you would. but it will just show that your immature your self acting like a child.

You may think this is the internet so you can say/do stuff that you wouldnt do in the real world. but there is always way top track you, the staff here at neowin. your ISP etc.

back on topic: I do hope we get more ultimate extras soon. but no more of the eye candy GUI crap. Sure its nice, but i want something that would bennfent me. Such as advance multimedia and securty features.

I think people need to have some patience. MS said from day one that extras would be released in waves and not incrementally as people seem to be expecting here. We've had Wave 0 (plus dreamscene which came later i believe?). We don't have a timetable for waves. But we do know that the Ultimate team has stated that they were going back to secrecy/lockdown mode to work on the next wave of releases/simultaneously plan for Windows 7, so the lack of communication is not only not a sign the team has disbanded, but once again, planned and announced. The ultimate team is taking an Apple-like approach, where they're keeping everything secret which is why we're not hearing from them. Do you hear from Apple's product groups about upcoming products? no. MS is testing those waters with UE to see how the public responds.

Chill out people. Vista is young (we haven't even seen a beta of the first service pack yet!), and there's plenty on the Windows team plate including WS2008, QFEs, Sp1, Fiji, Vienna/7 and the ongoing reorg along with UE and any other out of band updates that the team is probably fairly thinnly spread.

Touch? my friend, touch? indeed.

Perhaps, illicit substances, friends and a post that sounded remarkably like one of our profs. (I hope that's not you professor Barker), is not the best combination to post (may I concede poorly) under, in any circumstances.

If I remember correctly, I think my post had something to do with the fact that UE's are aweful and pretty much non-existant,.

P.s. In fashion with my op, I did however feel it necessary to highlight the most important part of your post with regards min:whistle:e:

Good day to you to sir, you have been a gentleman.

EDIT: oops I meant to highlight libel, I do apologize, my "attack" was competely without malice.

Rest assured, I am not the Barker you refer to. I have been called many things, but professor is not, nor shall ever be, one of them. Gentleman may even be pushing the boundaries....

Cheers.

I think the ultimate extra's are pretty poor considering high price of ultimate. I can't really complain because I got it for free for beta testing the product, but I would be pretty miffed if I had paid for it. I thought the MS team was going to focus on them during the nov06 - Jan07 period just after they released vista to businesses, however that doesn't really seem the case.