Mac OS X Software List

• 2 weeks later...

As a Mac newby I have found a good few apps listed here, but I have found these ones to be my favourites (some have already been posted, some haven't)-

Appcleaner - great free uninstaller

LiveQuartz - great simple and free image editor (includes layers etc)

Nice Player - great free video player which borrows Quicktimes codecs

Transmission - great free bit torrent client now with selective downloading!!

I don't know- never tried AppZapper, but by the look of the screenshots on it's website they look very similar. But AppCleaner works a treat, and saves lot's of hassle deleting those folders etc that are always left behind, and it's FREE (yay!).

I forgot to mention, the reason why I like Nice Player is 1) it is borderless, and looks dead smart 2) by default it is always on top of other windows, which is an option you don't have at all with Quicktime unfortunately.

I also love Inquisitor 3 for Safari. It is donationware still, and I used it for free for a week till I decided to donate $5. It is a superb plug-in for Safari, which allows instant Google results while you type in your search bar (amount is user adjustable) as well as multiple search engines to be incorporated into it too, which the user again can add to. I have added my favourite websites searches like Wikipedia, Imdb, btJunkie etc etc. Love it.

Edited by wastedyuthe

Forgot one- Skype

One thing a lot of people might not realise with Skype for Mac- it can be used to have video chats with Windows users! Not only that, but the quality is great too, and you also get to meet lots of other users from around the world while you're at it. I have tried a few others (iChat on my Mac with Windows using Aim, Sightspeed) and they have been a let down one way or another. Skype works perfectly on Mac and Windows for me and my family (blimey, I'm begining to sound like an advert!!)

Sorry, I can't edit my last post to put these new links in, so I am having to post again (so no moaning at me please).

I have found another 2 great free Safari plug-ins, which both work well with Safari 3-

Cool Iris - This has been out on other browsers, but I have only just noticed they have done a Safari version. However, the Safari version only works with popular search sites like Google, Yahoo etc. It is also available for Firefox, and can give previews of any link instead of just search result links.

PicLens - A great way to browse image search results (Google image search etc).

LiteIcon

LiteIcon is an application to change System icons. It also includes a function to restore icons. LiteIcon is free. You can use it and redistribute it freely.

SecureFiles

SecureFiles is a small application which simply enables you to create encrypted images disc which are protected by password where you will be able to store your significant data. The size of the images disc created is extensible, i.e. its size increases as you put at it documents until a certain limit which you define yourself.

Moreover you will be able to transfer and use these images disc between any Macs without having to install SecureFiles. SecureFiles is free. You can use it, copy it freely and redistribute it.

securefiles1.png

CoRD

CoRD is a Mac OS X remote desktop client for Microsoft Windows servers using the rdp protocol. It is easy to use, fast, and free for anyone to use or modify.

SmallServer2003ScreenCapture.png

Forgot one- Skype

One thing a lot of people might not realise with Skype for Mac- it can be used to have video chats with Windows users! Not only that, but the quality is great too, and you also get to meet lots of other users from around the world while you're at it. I have tried a few others (iChat on my Mac with Windows using Aim, Sightspeed) and they have been a let down one way or another. Skype works perfectly on Mac and Windows for me and my family (blimey, I'm begining to sound like an advert!!)

Skype is amazing. Totally blows away MSN. I'm very impressed with the mac version.

LightMe

Allows you to switch off the display using a keyboard shortcut. Insanely handy if you have an iMac that you leave running at night.

I've been looking for something like this. I've found other ones but they only work while logged in. I noticed that this one has a "install at Login" and I was hoping that it would work while at the login window. It didn't work so what exactly does that button do? Anybody?

yeah, i saw that on the list. but any other? there is only one app for archiving?

and what about file managers? Total (aka Windows) Commander-like file managers for Mac. And what about archivers which integrate to that file managers to use as easily as using TC + WinRAR on Windows (for example Alt+F9 for uncompressing).

Is there any archiver app like WinRAR for Mac? Or how (un)compressing of .rar, .arj, .zip, .iso, .tar, etc files are solved?

Stuffit 11 Deluxe works well, it also supports a large number of files. I've had little need for anything outside of Stuffit Expander.

Good Vibrations CSS

Basically Good Vibrations CSS is a Safari (Webkit) optimised CSS file which blocks advertisements, frame adverts, Flash adverts etc.

GoodVibrations.css allows you to harness Safari's built-in capacity to use Custom Style Sheets as an ad-blocking solution.

GoodVibrations.css will work with Safari (for Mac OS X and Windows) as well as other browsers. Most of the CSS here will work on any browser. Any browser-specific code will be optimized for the WebKit/KHTML Rendering Engine. Safari, Konqueror, OmniWeb, and Shiira are just some of the browsers that use WebKit/KHTML to render pages.

25274_scr.png

Download Webpage