Mac OS X Software List

Which will be a good Winamp like application in Mac for listening to music. I don't really like iTunes tbh :/

Btw the list is really helpful, i downloaded lots of applications.

Thx a lot guys

I think you can do a few of the functions winamp offers in Songbird.

Disk Utility can mount ISO's

Applications<Utilities - Disk Utility

Whats a good application to mount iso's ?

Thx

Any other application besides Songbird which is decent and better than iTunes ?

You can try Cog, but you're not gonna find much. iTunes was hard for me as well (coming from foobar), but you get used to it.

• 3 weeks later...

:wub: these apps:

Delicious Library

Coda

Candybar

Ecto

CSSEdit

Skitch

Pixelmator

also does anyone remember the old Mac OS X essential software thread?

• 2 weeks later...

For Mac OS X you need a browser with an Anti-Phishing because it's an important security tool. You could use Firefox or something else.

Are there any programs on os x that is like tag & rename? just a dedicated program to filling out all id3 tags because i can't seem to find one that can replace it atm :( because it feels slow doing it through itunes

:wub: these apps:

Delicious Library

Coda

Candybar

Ecto

CSSEdit

Skitch

Pixelmator

also does anyone remember the old Mac OS X essential software thread?

agreed with these. delicious library is incredibly powerful, the iSight UPC barcode scanner is amazing. and the other two speak for themselves.

• 1 month later...

The following is a list of applications that I have installed on my MacBook Pro:

• Adium 1.3 - The best instant messenger on the Mac platform just got better with improved protocol support and better memory management. Free!
  • CandyBar 3 - An excellent application to manage a library of custom icons and docks. Changing the icons on your Mac is dead simple. $29.
  • Transmit 3 - A really impressive and easy-to-use FTP client.
  • Pixelmator - Image editing for the rest of us, Pixelmator can perform most functions of Photoshop with ease and supports Quartz Composition rendering. At $59, it's a great deal.
  • TextMate - A text editor on steroids, with tab completion, bundles, and so much more. And it's only ?39!iWork '08[/b]b> - Keynote, Numbers, and Pages do a great job at every day productivity tasks and is a lot easier on the pocketbook than a license for Microsoft Office.VLC Media Player[/b]b> - For watching audio and video formats that QuickTime does not support. Free!Xcode[/b]b> - For developing applications for the Mac and iPhone platforms, including Dashcode for creating Dashboard widgets and iPhone/iPod touch web applications, Quartz Composer for creating quartz compositions (iTunes visualizers, screen savers, etc), and of course the Xcode IDE. Also includes a ton of great examples and other tools. Ships with every Mac on the Mac OS X installation DVD, and downloadable for free from the Apple Developer web site.

And, the applications that I used previously that I decided to remove:

• - A good FTP client, but having to switch back and forth between the Finder and Cyberduck for uploading files was a bit of a pain, and the way that it handles spring-loaded folders on the servers is a bit odd. - An excellent text editor, but was lacking some of the things I required for development purposes. I still highly recommend it to anyone looking for a powerful text editor for the Mac platform on the cheap.

You know, I've always liked BBEdit when compared to TextMate and Smultron. Has anyone else tried BBEdit 9? It's quite nice, and isn't too expensive, either. I don't know if it's "essential," but I'd like to add it to the list anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

The only thing keeping me from using Adium, is I don't seem to be able to access my hotmail inbox from it, and when I get new email it didn't alert me, so I removed it and use MSN for Mac. The MSN for Mac is garbage, it doesn't support offline messages, and doesn't show handwriting messages either. :/

• 1 month later...
Feel free to contribute and I'll add them to the categories. Most, if not all of these software should be Universal for PPC and Intel compatibility.

[*]Growl - system wide notification system extensible to many different applications - Free

Growl is great - especially when Chax is installed and sending IM notifications. There are more settings than some know about, which can be found here

Growl - very nifty program.

Is there a program that works as like a Phone Manager solution? My bluetooth phone will accept and receive files from my Macbook but it will not send files to my Macbook. :/