Mac OS X Software List

• 2 weeks later...
yeah, i saw that on the list. but any other? there is only one app for archiving?

and what about file managers? Total (aka Windows) Commander-like file managers for Mac. And what about archivers which integrate to that file managers to use as easily as using TC + WinRAR on Windows (for example Alt+F9 for uncompressing).

http://www.springyarchiver.com/index.php

Same dilemma as you, found this and kinda happy :)

yeah, i saw that on the list. but any other? there is only one app for archiving?

and what about file managers? Total (aka Windows) Commander-like file managers for Mac. And what about archivers which integrate to that file managers to use as easily as using TC + WinRAR on Windows (for example Alt+F9 for uncompressing).

RarMe allows you to create and extract rar files on OS X (it uses the official command line tool from RarLabs, which is shareware). As for a file manager, you can check out XFolders.

I actually found that Good Vibrations was actually blocking images at both Neowin and deviantART :s

Yeah same here. Got rid of it again. Too bad, it seemed like such a good solution. :/

I actually found that Good Vibrations was actually blocking images at both Neowin and deviantART :s
Yeah same here. Got rid of it again. Too bad, it seemed like such a good solution. :/

I started to notice that as well. It is updated monthly though, hopefully in a few months a more reliable build will be released.

any good application (freeware) to watch dvds (other regions too without changing the code) in my Mac?

I believe VLC will let you do that. Otherwise, you could use Mac The Ripper and remove the region encoding from the Disc.

VLC unfortunately doesn't seem to work on intel macs at least for that purpose. i have the latest build and on my macbook purchased in hong kong is not capable of playing australian dvds as the region setting is still set to hong kong's region. i saw this discussed in a number of places.. it seems to be a no go for many people with macbook pros as well. your second recommendation might be the only way to go.

Crosswire has finally seen a 1.0 release. I really like this app, it combines the lightweight Cabos with the elegance of Acquisition.

BTW... What is the application that can hide Dock icons? I'm using Namely and want to hide the Dock icon...

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Freeware:

Safariblock (v2.1) - comparable to Adblock for Mozilla, this new version is great

Klondike Forever - best looking Solitaire ever

LoadInDock - shows CPU load

Textwrangler - free text editor

Wallpaper clocks - shows time & date on the desktop (great!)

Refresh Finder - small utility

muCommander - Norton style file manager

Psst - suppress startup chime

Rapidostart - program launcher

SimplyBurns - small CD/DVD burning suite

Shareware:

Amadeus Pro - great audio editor

Little Secrets - encrypt your private data

Photoline - graphics editor

RAW Developer - for RAW images, supports most cameras

Vector Designer - vector drawing program

Create - layout and web publishing software