BREAKING: $100 PS3 Price Drop

haha this is awesome...

they just gave me a new receipt with the new date on it...with the free controller. now i picked up

a PS3 60GB

free wireless controller

and 5 Bluray Movies

for $600 - 100 price guarantee = $500!!!

Nice. Circuit City does tend to work with people on things like this.

I saw the PS3 for 50 euro less (68 dollars less, which is nothing considering it coss around 800 dollars hre). So, they sell a PS3 for 550 euro with a game. That's something, lol.

I also saw, for 680 euro, a ps3, a game and an additional controller. You save 30 euro (600 for the console, 50 for the controller and 60-70 for the game).

Good news, I only hope they follow through over here as well, currently alot of shops are selling the console at ?399 instead of the RRP which is currently ?425. Dropping the price by ?100 here would really help as the 360 is currently around ?279/99. Of course, $ does not equal ? so it probably won't go down that much

$499 for the old one more or less puts it in line with the 360 premium if you want wi-fi, which isn't bad. The Microsoft adapter is 100 bucks, so in the end, I spent $500 on my 360. However, the fact that they're cutting the price on a console they were already taking a big hit on (I think they had to sell something like 10 games to break even on a PS3 sale) a mere 6 months after launch probably isn't the greatest sign.

Also, the fact that the game touted as the "real reason you bought a PS3" is a 3 year old Xbox port doesn't make the games library sound so hot.

Hmm, it seems like a cheap imitation of a price-cut. I was hoping for something more, i don't know. I guess i'm just disappointed in what sonys currently doing.

(<- previously a ps1 and ps2 owner.)

I worry that once supply for the 60GB model runs dry that the 80GB will be the only one and still be 599 (I guess it's only 540 if you were going to buy motorstorm anyways). But still, I'd be happier with all consoles only having 1 sku and one price.

In light of this news I see no reason for MS to reduce the price on the 360, especially after taking a 1.1 billion dollar hit on the warranty.

Edited by SonComet

I don't know if thats part of this week ad, special promotion or anything related to Circuit City..but I went to Target, and saw the price tag go down by $100 on 60gb model. So maybe its happening in other stores as well?

I worry that once supply for the 60GB model runs dry that the 80GB will be the only one and still be 599 (I guess it's only 540 if you were going to buy motorstorm anyways). But still, I'd be happier with all consoles only having 1 sku and one price.

I hope not. At that rate I'd never get a PS3. Honestly, I wish they still had the 20GB sku so I could buy one for 399 after the price drop.

I hope not. At that rate I'd never get a PS3. Honestly, I wish they still had the 20GB sku so I could buy one for 399 after the price drop.

Since this price drop is supposed to happen on monday let's see how ebgames prices the 20GB models they still have for sale. Maybe there will be a 399 sku until those run out. Doubt it, but it could happen.

Between the current string of solid firmware updates and this new price drop, Sony is really getting its act together. As somebody who was on the "laugh at Sony" side of the fence prior to the PS3's launch, I'm impressed now. Looks like Kaz Hirai's doing some good work!

This puts the price on par with a 360 premium and wifi combo. So apart from the six people on the planet who don't want wifi in their consoles, gamers looking to buy a new system will be paying a lot more attention to the PS3 now. The timing of the price drop is brilliant on Sony's part. Microsoft is taking a lot of flak as of late for the poor performance record of 360s, and now Sony is really seizing the opportunity to reel in potential console buyers.

Edited by LingeringSoul

Ok, now that we have official box art for the 80GB sku packaged with Motorstorm I have a new theory. Since the sku is a limited addition, I postulate that seeing as how the 60GB and 80GB skus cost Sony basically the same amount of money to make that once the 60GB supply dries up the 80GB sku will drop the free game and be 499.

Second theory. Since the 80GB sku is a month away, I seriously wonder if the heavily rumored rumble version of the sixaxis will be included. A patch to motorstorm with force feedback would be pretty cool (even though I personally turn off rumble in all my games ever since I got used to playing without it on my wavebirds).

I can't help but think that if they just did this in the first place, they might've actually had a chance of winning the console wars. Now they've given up a huge marketshare and a ton of would-be exclusives for the PS3.

Whys the Sixaxis got a glowing red PS Button.....my controller dont do that....maybe something to do with the ShockAxis :huh:

Hmm, this is something to note because they certainly don't glow red, so either they have made it red for no reason at all, or they have done something to the controller (possibly this ShockAxis).

EDIT: Just read that Sony are going to announce something about the Euro PS3 at E3:

Sony to announce new PS3 Euro deals

Matt Martin 09:49 (BST) 09/07/2007

Possible price cut, added value to be revealed at E3

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe has contacted GamesIndustry.biz to state that the company will be making a major announcement regarding the PlayStation 3 this Thursday at the E3 Media and Business Summit.

Although unwilling to be drawn on specifics, a spokesperson did confirm that the announcement will be related to SCEA's price cut of the PS3 in North America, and the introduction of a new 80GB model.

Sony has slashed the price of the 60GB PlayStation 3 to USD 499 effective immediately, while introducing a new 80GB version, bundled with a copy of Evolution Studios' MotorStorm, for USD 599.

The PlayStation 3 was launched in Europe March 23, and currently retails for GBP 425 / EUR 599

Edited by Jimmy0