Vista SP1 Beta 1 Released July 16th?

What makes you think they've done that? Microsoft DO employ more than one or two programmers you know...

The XP SP3 team are NOT the same programmers as the Vista SP1 team.

Support for XP ended earlier this year............where have you been?

Found this article this morning related to Vista SP1:

Vista SP1 will fix critical ReadyBoost performance bug

Published July 9th, 2007 by Long Zheng

More details of the second coming surfaced yesterday when Mary Jo reported a few tips she had received about the upcoming Windows Vista Service Pack 1 beta to be released later this month, including a very basic list of functionality and performance improvements. However a day prior, a Microsoft employee silently outlined a critical flaw in Windows Vista’s ReadyBoost feature and mentioned SP1 would include the fix - a rare occasion under the new Gorbachev Sinofsky administration.

Robert Hensing, a security engineer at Microsoft, wrote on his blog (update: since been removed, Blake Handler has some quotes) about a performance flaw in ReadyBoost which severely hindered the responsiveness after resuming from standby (S3) or hibernate (S4) due to an architectural bug. The problem causes irregular and unnecessary hard-disk thrashing after resume which can take up to 8 minutes to settle down - ironically the outcome is the exact opposite of ReadyBoost’s purpose to increase responsiveness by caching. The cause is a simple yet stupid oversight in the design of ReadyBoost’s security system which encrypts all cache-data with an AES-128 encryption key, a great idea badly implemented.

Continued at source.

Source: istartedsomething

If this is true then maybe SP1 will be more than just a roll up of security patches - which is a good thing. :)

Found this article this morning related to Vista SP1:

Vista SP1 will fix critical ReadyBoost performance bug

Published July 9th, 2007 by Long Zheng

More details of the second coming surfaced yesterday when Mary Jo reported a few tips she had received about the upcoming Windows Vista Service Pack 1 beta to be released later this month, including a very basic list of functionality and performance improvements. However a day prior, a Microsoft employee silently outlined a critical flaw in Windows Vista?s ReadyBoost feature and mentioned SP1 would include the fix - a rare occasion under the new Gorbachev Sinofsky administration.

Robert Hensing, a security engineer at Microsoft, wrote on his blog (update: since been removed, Blake Handler has some quotes) about a performance flaw in ReadyBoost which severely hindered the responsiveness after resuming from standby (S3) or hibernate (S4) due to an architectural bug. The problem causes irregular and unnecessary hard-disk thrashing after resume which can take up to 8 minutes to settle down - ironically the outcome is the exact opposite of ReadyBoost?s purpose to increase responsiveness by caching. The cause is a simple yet stupid oversight in the design of ReadyBoost?s security system which encrypts all cache-data with an AES-128 encryption key, a great idea badly implemenContinued at source.e.

Source: istartedsomething

If this is true then maybe SP1 will be more than just a roll up of security patches - which is a good t:)ng. :)

Hmm i don't trust the way that article was wri:huh: :huh:

Hmm i don't trust the way that article was written :huh:

Well if you follow the links, you can see the original post by the Microsoft guy ... seems pretty real to me, but who knows, anyone can make stuff up on the Internet these days. I guess we will just have to wait until something official comes from Microsoft.

Support for XP ended earlier this year............where have you been?

This is not a totally true statement. While support has been dropped for XP and XP SP1, Full support for XP SP2 is thru 2009 and Security Updates thru 2014.

Hope their is some surprise features

I had to say something other then Norfolk, Virginia. I posted it in wrong topic. :p

The slow copy problem has been fixed with an update (you can download)

I can wait for the other bugfixes etc!

Which update would that be?

The slow copy problem has not been fixed.... the slow network copy has been partially fixed, but the copying to anywhere else or even to another folder is still quite slow.

Nice good stuff, I guess SP1 wont really help my poor Vista game performance but it will still be a nice update when it comes, come on Nvidia give me some amazing drivers!

The slow copy problem has not been fixed.... the slow network copy has been partially fixed, but the copying to anywhere else or even to another folder is still quite slow.

slow in 32 bit maybe. ive run both 32 and 64 bit and 32 is rediculously slow. but 64bit seems faster than than xp.

im running 64bit atm and no probs with it here. my 64bit vista is stable as and gaming wise no problems either (good ol ati :p )i dont really care when the pack comes out because im running sweet.