Apple Rumor Thread

Looks have always come at a cost. Everyone knows that.

No, I agree, I just think there's too much of a gap between Apple's desktop lineup. I think their previous price model was better, as it effectively offered an upgrade every $200. (Mac mini started at $599, the next model up was $799, then $999, $1099, etc.)

But my point is other than the Mac mini, the cheapest Apple desktop computer available is the $1,199 iMac, a jump of $200 over the current iMac. That's quite a lot, especially to the casual buyer. This is one of the reasons I think that discontinuing the 17'' model isn't the greatest idea.

How is that a lot? It's not like you won't get anything in return for that prize. The only reason the $999 iMac exists is because Apple had to discontinue the eMac and they needed a quick replacement. Beyond educational purposes the $999 iMac is quite a poor deal compared to the "high-end" 17" model, which costs $1199 right now: Slower CPU, shared GPU, half the amount of memory, no Apple Remote and no SuperDrive. The $200 less you're paying doesn't make up for that.

I honestly don't see a problem here, unless the specs of the new low-end 20" model will just be as bad.

Edited by .Neo

soooooo, new ipod in september?

also, anybody know how much the student discount is or a 30 gig ipod?

0%. As of late 2006 Apple stopped giving educational discounts for iPods. Probably because they felt the general price drop was enough for everyone. At least, that's the case here in The Netherlands.

0%. As of late 2006 Apple stopped giving educational discounts for iPods. Probably because they felt the general price drop was enough for everyone. At least, that's the case here in The Netherlands.

although, if you sign up to the Apple Online Store's newsletter, you'll receive coupons every this and then...

i get ?35 coupons like 3-4 times a year or something... its bound to a minimum purchase value of ?300 or something, though, but that's perfectly enough for the full-size&full-price i:)d :)

all details apply to GermaGlassed Silver:mac

I vaguely remember my eMac came with some coupons for iPod discounts back in 2004. Didn't know Apple also gives them through the newsletters though.

But yeah, ?35 is pretty nice for a product that "only" costs about ?280,-

I vaguely remember my eMac came with some coupons for iPod discounts back in 2004. Didn't know Apple also gives them through the newsletters though.

But yeah, ?35 is pretty nice for a product that "only" costs about ?280,-

it applies to purchases that are ?357+... still really cool

post-58560-1187058555_thumb.png