[REL] Vista Game Explorer Editor

Vista Game Explorer Editor  

274 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate VGEE out of 10?

• Excellent (9-10 out of 10)
    • Very Good (8 out of 10)
    • Good (7 out of 10)
    • Not Good Enough (6 and below)
    • I don't have Vista

I can use some help here....

I am getting the same "It appears that there are no games in the list" error message. Yet when I start Vista Games Explorer I can see 3 games (Bioshock, Crysis, and Sins of a Solar Empire). I have attempted to use the NFS3.exe dummy file and for some reason Vista does not automatically download information. It just sits there with NFS3 in the games explorer.

Also, my GameUX registry has a slightly different structure than what I've seen posted here. Mine has the following

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\GameUX]
"LastSupportedGameInstallTime"=hex(b):30,00,f2,64,0e,6e,c8,01

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\GameUX\Games]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\GameUX\Games\{0A759F0C-A9CE-4F13-98D8-FECB921A72B3}]
"ConfigInstallType"="2"
"ConfigApplicationPath"="D:\\Games\\BioShock\\Builds\\Release"
"ConfigGDFBinaryPath"="D:\\Games\\BioShock\\Builds\\Release\\Bioshock.exe"
"ApplicationId"="{626DCEE9-781B-49D7-81C0-C41CCC9386F7}"
"Title"="BioShock"
"IsSigned"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\GameUX\Games\{622AC228-E829-4892-B455-759C8964DE4C}]
"ConfigInstallType"="2"
"ConfigApplicationPath"="D:\\Games\\Sins of a Solar Empire\\"
"ConfigGDFBinaryPath"="D:\\Games\\Sins of a Solar Empire\\Sins of a Solar Empire.exe"
"ApplicationId"="{B4328592-FD76-44FB-A0AD-C4BC40D547F2}"
"Title"="Sins of a Solar Empire"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\GameUX\Games\{982CD0B3-968E-4A6D-A90D-551BF80BAE3A}]
"ConfigInstallType"="2"
"ConfigApplicationPath"="D:\\Games\\Crysis\\"
"ConfigGDFBinaryPath"="D:\\Games\\Crysis\\Tools\\VistaEssentials.dll"
"ApplicationId"="{CDC82B4A-7540-45A5-B92E-9A7C7033DBF2}"
"Title"="Crysis"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\GameUX\S-1-5-21-3033551234-229187754-3103735-1000]

In other words, the game IDs are appearing under GameUX\Games, not under my SID.

In the installer there should be an option for choosing the install scope... eg. All users or Just My User.

If all users is chosen then the game will appear under the gameUX\Games key.

If just for you is chosen then it will appear under your sid.

In the installer there should be an option for choosing the install scope... eg. All users or Just My User.

If all users is chosen then the game will appear under the gameUX\Games key.

If just for you is chosen then it will appear under your sid.

Right - only games that have the 'Games For Windows' label would be able to choose between installing locally or for all users - unsupported games added by VGEE only get added under your User-SID

Yeah - the E is supposed to stad for Entertainment Explorer - in that later versions of EE will allow you to browse other media - such as movies, music albums, etc

But it's just Games for now.

MS has called their VGE Windows Game Explorer in some places - so I thought it best to make the change early on. Some parts of the project may still have WGE - so let me know so that I can change it.

Progress update: I can view and add games in XP by creating the relevant registry keys (XP doesn't exactly have GDF support so I can use whatever registry keys I want, but most are the same as Vista).

Need to write the code that call's Julius' functions to manage games in Vista. Once adding, removing, editing games in XP and Vista is complete - I'll start using some beta testers for XP and Vista.

I've also written the code that allows you to change the toolbar images - and included some ones I found freely available on the net.

In the meantime - I need your assistance. In the toolars for EE there are to be several buttons for functions like showing EE's preferences page, Add Game, Edit, Remove, Clear, etc. Your job would be to create image files for each of these. Best ones get included in the app (if I get multiple sets I will include all and allow you to change between them).

If possible - I would really like to have one set of buttons that look similar to those on Windows Media Player 11. (ie the blue glassy Play button, etc). At the moment I only have boring text labels. When I get proper buttons - I'll have those labels as tooltips - so the buttons don't need any text in them - just icons/symbols.

A small part of two of the toolbar skins is attached below:

post-230055-1203897660_thumb.jpg

post-230055-1203897670_thumb.jpg

Hows the new one comin any eta yet?

The code for Windows Vista is fully complete at this time.

The Features are as follows:

Ability to list games (Icon or Boxart is Displayed) In a listview control.

Ability to "Click" a game to load it's GDF information into a User Safe Editor which allows pertinent information to be edited with constraints. Items which can be edited consist of the following (but are not expressly limited to):

Game Title

Publishers

Developers

Product Version (Or Clip this value from a EXE)

Release Date

Genre

Performance Rating

Content Rating

Content Descriptors

Ability to Install a New Game without making a shortcut in the Explorer

Ability to Install a Game into the Media Center Component

Ability to Uninstall a Game in the Explorer

Ability to Uninstall a Game from the Media Center Component

Ability to Add\Remove Play Tasks

There are also plenty of other features as Ryan is working on ensuring that the Windows XP version allows an upgrade to Vista seamlessly and ensuring that all of the Vista functionality if properly backported to the XP Subsystem.

Don't quote me but I assume that as soon as the final Vista build is ready for mass testing that there will be a public beta to ensure that the code interacts with all rating systems and Vista builds in the same manner. I would also imagine that after that process there will be a XP Beta and then a RC addressing the bugs and then either a Final Version or a RC2 then a Final Version.

I realize everyone is very ancy to be able to fully be able to customize the Game Explorer. If it is warranted in some way I will release the advanced editor which allows you Create and Install Games to just the Explorer and edit the GDF Information without constraint. (Only for Vista) I will release it however with no support in light of it being for those who simply can't wait for the final product. If this is somthing you might be interested in please PM me. If the consensus is large enough I will post a public link.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all - I haven't been getting any emails from this thread which is why I haven't posted yet

Work on EE has slowed down a bit since I have started working full time now. Theoretically, not much time would be needed to start releasing private beta versions of EE - I just need to write the code that links my GUI to Julius' functions (yes Julius I still haven't done that, lol).

I have repaired the XP partition on my main desktop PC (on which I primarily use Vista) and have successfully installed VB 2008 - so I should be able to resume coding either tomorrow night or on the weekend - depending on what comes up. :blush:

Whoever is online in my IM contacts lists in Gmail or Hotmail or Xfire when I am ready to release Beta versions will have the first oppurtunity to test everything out. Followed by those who have recently sent me emails through the contact form on my old site and the email feedback link on my new site.

Now I have to go look at my profile to see why I'm not getting emails from here again.

Hey Ryan, thanks for creating this awesome program. Considering that I'm constantly playing older games which don't get added automatically, this program is essential to me. :)

I had a question, though. Is it possible to add a shortcut to VGEE under the Tools menu in Games Explorer? If not, what about anywhere else in Game Explorer's interface?

79615684hd6.jpg

That would make launching VGEE so much more convenient IMO.

You can use VGEE to create a *game* called Vista Game Explorer Editor - and that's about it.

I think if you look in the Program Files folder for VGEE - you'll find BoxArt for it or you can use your own. If you do choose to use your own, upload a copy here for the rest of us..

BoxArt is also here - http://ryzza007.googlepages.com/BoxArt.jpg

I'd say the Options are hard-coded and can't be edited.

Been using this program for a while. awesome program.

however, has anyone started getting problems since installing Service Pack 1. it was just released today, and after installing it all the games I added using VGEE aren't showing up in the game explorer. I even tried adding the games again, but they still didn't show up.

however if I click on "Load Game Information" in the program my added games show up in the list, but aren't showing up in the game explorer.

anyone else having this problem? any solution?

Well you'd think it hard to believe that MS would never have noticed my app - and in not liking been shown up by little 'ol me - they try and stop it from working.

That said - I have no plans on upgrading to SP1 (heard of other problems with it) - so you're welcome to delve into working out what's happening. Personally I would just assume that MS is no longer listing games from the registry and is getting them soley from WMI - perhaps.

When EE is released, you won't need to use the VGE at all - so then MS's failure at the VGE should be complete by then, lol.

Thanks for the heads up though.

Well you'd think it hard to believe that MS would never have noticed my app - and in not liking been shown up by little 'ol me - they try and stop it from working.

That said - I have no plans on upgrading to SP1 (heard of other problems with it) - so you're welcome to delve into working out what's happening. Personally I would just assume that MS is no longer listing games from the registry and is getting them soley from WMI - perhaps.

When EE is released, you won't need to use the VGE at all - so then MS's failure at the VGE should be complete by then, lol.

Thanks for the heads up though.

Because certains parts of the legacy process did not create WMI objects correctly the SP1 upgrade invalidates them. I have verified that using the new method any upgrade to SP1 is not at all a problem.

Due to the numerous requests I have attached my class tester so any bugs that are present will be resolved before the final inclusion in WGEE.

I was going to write a guide but instead decided not to. If you are unsure of how to use this app then please do not.

First off... This is not a full featured application by any standard. The purpose of this application was to ensure my class was working as expected and wrapped the win32 elements correctly and without issue.

That said...

When you first load the application you will see ALL games which are in the game explorer. To install a new game simply click Install then select the GDFBinary.dll in the folder of the game. After that please select the exe of the game so the proper play link can be created.

After that the list will refresh and you will see the new game (Will probaly be Supreme Commander) in the list.

(Please not my class supports All Users and Current User but for the sake of simplicity I have only enabled the All Users flag so games installed will be visible to all users.)

If you would like the rating to be displayed I have already signed my dll with authenticode... you only need to change a single registry value to allow the rating to show up.... the registry value will be located at HKLM\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\Windows\CurrentVersion\GameUX\Games\<NEWGAMEGUID>

Change the DWORD Value IsSigned to 1 and close and reopen games explorer and you will see the rating in the preview pane of the Game Explorer in Vista.

At that point you can click the new game and edit all of the data in the text box including the rating game name and developers, WEI etc. Rating information can be found in the XLS file Ryan posted a few pages back.

After that you simply click update.

To update the GDF Picture you will need to simply click on the space of the image under the label GDF Thumbnail.

When this is complete click update and the changes will be saved.

The view button gives you a preview of how the games will look in the explorer under both views (Boxart and Icon) it has no other functional purpose.

This is pretty much the scope of my class tester. There are a plethora of other things built into the class but I have not created the GUI Controls for them and will not be going into how one would use them.

If there is anyone who would like to have a look at the class code please PM me and I will discuss it with you.

If there are any futher questions please ask and I will do my best to answer but please remember THIS IS A TEST APPLICATION and there is not really any support.

To use please RENAME the ATTACHMENT from test.zip to test.rar and extract.

If you do happen to find something you think is a bug please post away.

test.zip

So you are confirming that VGEE doesn't work with SP1, Julius?

Limited alpha versions to test certain parts of EE should be available in a few weeks - just as long as the Mega Car-Pack for TDU on PC doesn't come out first :)

So you are confirming that VGEE doesn't work with SP1, Julius?

Limited alpha versions to test certain parts of EE should be available in a few weeks - just as long as the Mega Car-Pack for TDU on PC doesn't come out first :)

I cannot either confirm or deny however I can see why after a SP1 Update when the WMI Storage containers are being setup that if their data was incomplete they would not be placed back into the container. Therefore I assume this is a per user problem. Depending on how many and which games they were initially copied from.

What I can confirm is that after a SP1 Upgrade all games which I added with my class are still present and working as expected.

ok i got it to work with SP1 through VGEE I selected to "Attempt to repair VGE". this then removed all the games that I added manually. i then re-added all the games and it's working perfectly :D

Thanks for the info - I might post something on the web site about SP1 later.

As for me - I just installed SP1 on my Vista Virtual PC (that's running on my main Vista OS) to see how things go for a few weeks - then I might update my real PC too.

• 2 weeks later...

Julius and I are both working on the project together - he's focusing on the Vista side of things, while I focus on XP and the main UI of the app itself.

Which site are you talking about ryo, the ryzza007 one or the vge.editor one? I did update it a few weeks back - there isn't a great deal for me to add since Julius is currently working on the project, before sending the most up-to-date version back to me to continue working on.

April is a busy month for me - so coding is mostly restricted to late at night.

VGEE doesn't make GDFs, and the GDF editor in the SDK won't be able to edit games added to the VGE since EE will make the GDF and immediately save it to a dll file (which can't be opened in the SDK). Not that you'd need to since EE let's you edit everything.

Well my previous predictions were all up the creek - but I'm guessing that early (incomplete) beta versions for a small number of testers will be available some time in April - and that public betas will come out around May. I could get most of the XP functions down pat in a few hours, then we need to work on finishing the UI. And I have to see where Julius is up to.

And I still need some button/icon images to use in the toolbars - any help would be much appreciated, otherwise chances are they'll look rubbish if I have to come up with something. :)

VGEE doesn't make GDFs, and the GDF editor in the SDK won't be able to edit games added to the VGE since EE will make the GDF and immediately save it to a dll file (which can't be opened in the SDK). Not that you'd need to since EE let's you edit everything.

Well, I was trying to use the SDK to make a new GDF for one of my games, as your VGEE doesn't edit ESRB ratings. But I don't know what to do with the files it generated.

From the looks of things, E-Explorer will take care of everything I could possibly want to do with the VGE. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

And I mean http://vge.editor.googlepages.com/e-explorer. Last update says 20/02/2008.

Edited by ryoran109

My last update for that page was March 18, perhaps you need to look into your browser caching settings and hit the refresh button on that site.