[REL] Vista Game Explorer Editor

Vista Game Explorer Editor  

274 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate VGEE out of 10?

• Excellent (9-10 out of 10)
    • Very Good (8 out of 10)
    • Good (7 out of 10)
    • Not Good Enough (6 and below)
    • I don't have Vista

It just occurred to me that you might be referring to the Project Status and Screenshot dates - whereas I was talking about the date right down the bottom of the page.

There's no new screenies to send - and I've been posting small updates here. I've already said what EE will be able to do - currently we're adding those features - so there's nothing 'new' to post there.

And it can be a bit of a pain logging out of my main Google account and into the VGEE one, so I save it for significant updates.

Can't remember to be honest - probably just altering the first part of the page where it mentions features. And on the VGEE page I wrote about Vista SP1.

Website updated with a little more info - and Contact pages created (click the Feedback links on either site).

The old FormLogix gadget on the old site has been removed also now.

The images showing my VGEE email address have been setup to open your email client when you click them, however I have made them only show the '@gmail.com' portion - so that you will have to type in vge.editor - and hopefully I won't get as much spam. :)

Gmail does a good job a handling spam - so it's not too much of a problem.

Just to announce progress we have made a big update to the WGE Code... You can now Install and Edit games very easily as there is a button which allows you to retrieve the game information online Complete with Ratings and Content Descriptors :)

The code can add and install new games at this point and can control every aspect of the GDF as you would expect. Even the get version information from file attribute is working completely at this time.

There will be further updates soon and Im sure beta's will be starting soon as well.

post-3296-1208146323_thumb.jpg

post-3296-1208146354_thumb.jpg

Just to announce progress we have made a big update to the WGE Code... You can now Install and Edit games very easily as there is a button which allows you to retrieve the game information online Complete with Ratings and Content Descriptors :)

The code can add and install new games at this point and can control every aspect of the GDF as you would expect. Even the get version information from file attribute is working completely at this time.

There will be further updates soon and Im sure beta's will be starting soon as well.

And for those wondering what the sliders is ... its a temporary control that I have in place to adust the icon sizes on the list view... when you hit a certain size the actual icon is shown instead of the boxart :)

also in the final versions the right pane will have a themeable interface to show the rating system and the rest of the GDF Attributes. It will also allow you to have theme packs which override your installed box art descriptions for the ones in the themes :)

Hope everyone is excitied as I am :)

post-3296-1208147628_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

This week I presume sometime there will be a Alpha Test of the Public Engine which will be used in VGEE.

There will be a Time where you can download the Test which will be strictly information and not allow any editing at all.

It will show you all of the possibilities which can be edited but not let you edit them just a tease if you will...

It will also show you all of the currently installed rating systems and all of their ratings content descriptors and Graphics.

The goal will be to ensure the speed and loading times are Ok for everyone.

It will be for Vista Users ONLY!!!

In addition there will be a form to test the Online Game Information Search.

Comments and suggestions will be accepted at that time.

After we ensure that the Engine is working properly we will finish up on the Main Editor for Vista and Release a RC1.

At that time the XP Beta's will also begin and the Vista tree will move to RC2. along with XP in a univeral Binary.

We will then iron out any additional Bugs and ensure everything is working properly and release the final code.

I will probaly then get to work on the Rating System Editor Extension to the Rating Provider Class I Made and possibly get started on the move to a WPF base for version 2 ;)

My work is cut out for me... But We have come such a long way since we started...

anyway keep your eyes peeled ... we will need all the help we can get for the testing!!!

Alpha to be released Today

What we need from you:

To download the alpha test and ensure that it operates correctly at this stage.

When you launch the tester you will see 2 windows. 1 Immediately which will be the online search form. You may play with that and ensure that all results are coming is as expectedand information is being tranlated as expected.

The other form which will present itself after a short time (3 seconds) And will allow you to browse your installed games similar to Games Explorer. We need you to let us know if all the information that appears in our app is the same as what Vista reports for that game. Please check all fields and Icons to ensure that you see icons for a game as well.

Also on the final tab page of the form there is a rating system viewer. Click a entry on the listbox will populate the other form items with information about the clicked rating system. It will tell you all about their ratings, descriptors, and other information.

After you have tested evrything and it works as expected or if you find a bug Please give a post on the thread or a email to Ryan.

The Exe Will be posted somtime Today After Ryan lets me know that it is ok.

Thank you guys for your help ensuring this gets to the next level!!!!

I have downloaded the alpha to test for you however is it 32bit vista only as on 64bit vista ultimate it shuts down upon starting with the standard windows warning: Game Explorer Class Tester has stopped working.

Schis

hmm,

my apologies I don't think that being 64bit has anything to do with it. After some playing around and looking at my system it looks like somehow my registry with regards to the game explorer has got messed up. Not sure how as I hav'nt manually edited it but the VGE is saying that it doesnt like it and can't repair it.

My apologies again if I have caused you extra work, now gotta work out how to fix this without a total reinstall of windows.

Schis

hmm,

my apologies I don't think that being 64bit has anything to do with it. After some playing around and looking at my system it looks like somehow my registry with regards to the game explorer has got messed up. Not sure how as I hav'nt manually edited it but the VGE is saying that it doesnt like it and can't repair it.

My apologies again if I have caused you extra work, now gotta work out how to fix this without a total reinstall of windows.

Schis

No Problem at all, I hope you get it all sorted out! Anyway for everyone else who uses the non setup version... Please make sure you have installed the .Net Framework 3.5. It is required for the application to run. If you have Vista SP1 you have the 3.5 Framework. If not you can download it sepreately from Microsoft at their website.

Please keep that in mind.

Thanks.

It doesn't work for me, either. It starts up, but a "This program has stopped working" error pops up within 5 seconds.

It doesn't work for me, either. It starts up, but a "This program has stopped working" error pops up within 5 seconds.

This most likley means you do not have ServicePack1 or the .Net Framework 3.5 installed.

Please verify that you have atleast service pack 3.5 and I will try to go from there.

And BTW are you using the installer or the stand alone?

I used the installer. And I don't have SP1, but .NET 3.5 is installed.

And was I supposed to extract the three parts to separate folders are to the same folder?

For everyone that is having problems this is a

x86/x64 Compatible Binary which does not use the .Net Framework 3.5

The main reason why this application is going to use the 3.5 Framework is the Linq Class.

For more information see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb308960.aspx

The Linq Class will make it easy for developers and users to generated the GDF_XML Required and the XML Required for the Media Center entry.

Without the Linq Class a more traditional XML Creation method would have to be employed and I think that Linq would be a much better fit.

Anyway attached is the Binary.... Please remember though that when the Application is finally released the .Net Framework 3.5 Will be required.

If anyone has any additional problems please let me know.

Thanks

TestRelease.zip

I used the installer. And I don't have SP1, but .NET 3.5 is installed.

And was I supposed to extract the three parts to separate folders are to the same folder?

The install was confusing and unnecessary ... my fault on that... it itself was larger then the app was.

Try the new one I just posted up x86/x64 Compatible because it does not link aginst the Linq Class.

If that works for you then you have a problem with the .Net 3.5 specifically the Linq Class.

If you still have a problem please let me know because all the dll files included should be the ones you need.

Also if you could provide a log or a screen or somthing I would be more then happy to take a look.

Let me know... The sooner me and Ryan can get some feedback and ensure everything is working as expected we can get this puppy released!!!

Nope, the same thing happened. Any idea where I can find a log?

This is all that pops up: errorrw4.th.jpg

Probaly in the event log... That is very weird.... Im gonna try this on my friends labtop and see what happens ill keep you posted

Where is the event log?

[sorry if that was a nooby question. :p]

Oh, and I think it's the second program, because when I click on the latter of the two programs the installer placed in my start menu, it just skipped to the "Program has stopped working," where the first one at least started up.

Yeah, the program crashes with the same error message when I start it. I tried using the installer, the standalone, and the other one, all of them with the same result. I'm running Vista Ultimate 32-bit with .NET 3.5, but no SP1.