[Official] Doctor Who Thread

On 08/09/2023 at 08:48, AMPSV said:

Next Season Spring UK time
so Easter?

Yes Season 14 will start in 2024, Specials this year around November for the 60th and I believe a Christmas special as well. 

• 3 weeks later...

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SO AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you so  much for this link sir.

On 23/09/2023 at 12:57, margrave said:

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SO AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you so  much for this link sir.

All of this.

I just got done watching the last season of Sex Education and am doubly excited for Ncuti, he's brilliant and I can't wait for him to take on this role.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Doctor Who’s next three adventures finally have release dates:

“The Star Beast” will air on November 25.

“Wild Blue Yonder” will air December 2.

“The Giggle” will air December 9.

All three episodes will air on BBC in the UK, and Disney Plus in the US and elsewhere.

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...

Well.. that was... uh... I won't spoil, but I will say, it was definitely the most Russel T Davies episode I've ever seen.  :p

Also, the new logo! It's the old Tom Baker logo with a small update! Tom was MY Doctor! ;)  So many memories suddenly smacked me in the frontal cortex!

Oh, and the new console room is gigantic.. and gorgeous....

But for the story itself?  It was..... Definitely an RTD episode.  Watch it, you'll see what I mean. :p

• Like 3

On 25/11/2023 at 19:47, FloatingFatMan said:

Definitely an RTD episode.  Watch it, you'll see what I mean. :p

I’m curious to watch it now, because I don’t personally take that as a positive comment if it means one thing, but do if it means another 🤣

• Like 1

On 25/11/2023 at 20:16, Dick Montage said:

I’m curious to watch it now, because I don’t personally take that as a positive comment if it means one thing, but do if it means another 🤣

Yup. While I’m not against it, enjoyed the episode and I fully agree with using art to further understanding and compassion - it meant exactly what it predictably meant.

On 25/11/2023 at 21:34, Dick Montage said:

Yup. While I’m not against it, enjoyed the episode and I fully agree with using art to further understanding and compassion - it meant exactly what it predictably meant.

I have zero issue with the sentiment, but it bleeps me off that they used it as a REALLY lazy deus ex to solve a problem they had ALREADY solved a few minutes earlier, and also throw in a completely unnecessary misandrist comment to boot...  There was no need for it, and it was clearly there for other reasons that had nothing to do with the story itself.

Is this what we get when RTD works with Disney? :(

If they do this again in the next episode, I'm truly done with modern Who.  Is it really too much to ask for just a light scifi action/adventure show, like it used to be, instead of the social commentary horsesh**?

• Like 2

On 25/11/2023 at 23:24, FloatingFatMan said:

Is this what we get when RTD works with Disney?

It’s literally just a distribution deal

On 25/11/2023 at 23:24, FloatingFatMan said:

but it bleeps me off that they used it as a REALLY lazy deus ex to solve a problem they had ALREADY solved a few minutes earlier, and also throw in a completely unnecessary misandrist comment to boot...  There was no need for it, and it was clearly there for other reasons that had nothing to do with the story itself.

100% agreed

On 25/11/2023 at 23:42, Dick Montage said:

It’s literally just a distribution deal

One that's already had sufficient interest to cause a complete restart and rename of the series numbering system to go back to 1 AND switch to American terminology.  I personally think there's more than just distribution rights going on here, TBH.

I just watched it. I loved the episode. It's great to get my favorite Doctor back if only for a little while.

The world has changed. Change is always scary. We often do not like it. But sometimes, the only thing can be done is to ignore it, and move on with our lives.

I take from the episode what I liked, my Doctor being back. I just don't care about any of the rest. It means nothing to me.

I think this is trying to get as many viewers as possible. The older audience will not be here forever, and as they/we pass they must get new viewers.

Gen Z rises. This is how our world works.

unique

On 25/11/2023 at 22:36, margrave said:

I just watched it. I loved the episode. It's great to get my favorite Doctor back if only for a little while.

The world has changed. Change is always scary. We often do not like it. But sometimes, the only thing can be done is to ignore it, and move on with our lives.

I take from the episode what I liked, my Doctor being back. I just don't care about any of the rest. It means nothing to me.

I think this is trying to get as many viewers as possible. The older audience will not be here forever, and as they/we pass they must get new viewers.

Gen Z rises. This is how our world works.

So young people need to have non-binary/trans, bi-racial couples, and handicapped characters before they will watch anything? Is there some kind of scoring system they use I don't know about? I just don't know why we need an under representative minority in which seems to be every scene. It's seems kinda patronizing at a certain point IMO. I have no problem with the Doctor being a woman, black or what ever as that makes total sense. They are literally an alien who's appearance changes!

Anyway I enjoyed the episode overall and love the new retro appearance of the TARDIS inside.

On 26/11/2023 at 02:31, FloatingFatMan said:

One that's already had sufficient interest to cause a complete restart and rename of the series numbering system to go back to 1 AND switch to American terminology.  I personally think there's more than just distribution rights going on here, TBH.

You sure that’s come from Disney? I feel that’s a beeb thing… they clearly lost their way with Who after Smith left, and this is a good way to say “Right, we are back invested in this”.

On 26/11/2023 at 04:37, Good Bot, Bad Bot said:

unique

So young people need to have non-binary/trans, bi-racial couples, and handicapped characters before they will watch anything? Is there some kind of scoring system they use I don't know about? I just don't know why we need an under representative minority in which seems to be every scene. It's seems kinda patronizing at a certain point IMO. I have no problem with the Doctor being a woman, black or what ever as that makes total sense. They are literally an alien who's appearance changes!

Anyway I enjoyed the episode overall and love the new retro appearance of the TARDIS inside.

Yes, basically!

They are massively more invested in the representation of minorities than say my generation was.

On 26/11/2023 at 08:43, margrave said:

I'm more interested in the "a creature with two hearts is rare. I have to tell the boss."

The Boss must be The Master. But will it be The Master of Tennant's Doctor time?

I think the boss will be The Toymaker. 

I'm also more interested in the plot than folks upset that Doctor Who continues to be progressive, and has just now progressed past them. Their comments are the same as comments from years past with older generations refusing to accept the societal progressions of their time when they were first depicted on screen.

Second verse, same as the first...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 25/11/2023 at 15:24, FloatingFatMan said:

I have zero issue with the sentiment, but it bleeps me off that they used it as a REALLY lazy deus ex to solve a problem they had ALREADY solved a few minutes earlier, and also throw in a completely unnecessary misandrist comment to boot...  There was no need for it, and it was clearly there for other reasons that had nothing to do with the story itself.

Is this what we get when RTD works with Disney? :(

If they do this again in the next episode, I'm truly done with modern Who.  Is it really too much to ask for just a light scifi action/adventure show, like it used to be, instead of the social commentary horsesh**?

Doctor Who started off as educational and social commentary...

The spectacle is the candy dangled for the people who don't understand the plot.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

On 26/11/2023 at 18:03, DewThePDX said:

Doctor Who started off as educational and social commentary...

The spectacle is the candy dangled for the people who don't understand the plot.

It was originally designed to be a family educational show, yes...  To teach kids about history in a science fiction setting. But it very quickly turned into an adventure show because that's what the public demanded.  It was never written to be a social commentary show...

On 26/11/2023 at 10:10, FloatingFatMan said:

It was originally designed to be a family educational show, yes...  To teach kids about history in a science fiction setting. But it very quickly turned into an adventure show because that's what the public demanded.  It was never written to be a social commentary show...

My point proven beautifully. Thank you. 😊 

• Facepalm 1
  • Haha 1