my first HDTV

OK, I'm lost here, I went to a store to look at the types of TV's they have. Heres what I understand

1. Plasma TV's allow burn-in and you pay more for size so that cancels out my want of a plasma
  2. DLP TV's are being discontinued next year (apparently) and their colour wheel can mess up
  3. LCD Projector TV's seem the most affordable to me for size, however their bulbs die every once and a while, this can set you back $250 - $500 depending on the TV (how often?)
  4. LCD TV's are more expensive than the projector type but the guy made it sound like they have the least problems out of all brands. I figure if I am going to be dropping $250 - $500 on bulbs every once and a while should I put a higher budget on the LCD's? LCD tv's also have lower refresh rates.

Can someone confirm what I know is true? if not can you correct me? I don't understand all the downsides to LCD TV's.. thank you!

Yeah thats pretty much true, LCD TV's are the way to go imo.

My neighboors plasma has burn in, and he works with projectors TV's for a living and says the bulbs go quite often.

not heard of DLP TV's before, I guess thats why theyre being discontinued :p

DLP is Texas Instruments' famed technology. I haven't really heard of problems with the color wheel, but I know they're not all that popular.

LCD is the best way to go. I work at radioshack, and we're selling a 37" Scott (some cheaper offbrand) for like $650, which is a pretty good deal.

1. Burn in is very rare on plasmas, these days. Technologies such as pixel shifting and better panel designs overall really help the issue. Most of the times, it's just image retention. Change the channel and a half hour later the problem is gone.

2. I haven't heard anything to indicate that. Texas Instruments pushes DLP hard and new LED sets are just now hitting the market. They solve the issue of the color wheel.

3. LCD Projo, DLP's, and LCoS sets all have a bulb with a lifespan of about 6,000 hours. You can expect to pay, at most, $250 for the bulb. The $500 bulbs are a thing of the past, now.

4. LCD's have quicker response times, yes, but plasmas are even better.

Both plasmas and LCD's will average around 60,000 - 80,000 hours barring any technical problems. After this time, you can pay to have the backlights on an LCD replaced while a plasma will simply be dead. However, we're talking 8 - 10 years down the line and I'm pretty sure you'll want something new at that time.

LCD's are great, yes, but put any LCD next to something like a Pioneer plasma and plasma is suddenly much better. The color depth is just so much better than that of any LCD on the market.

2. I haven't heard anything to indicate that. Texas Instruments pushes DLP hard and new LED sets are just now hitting the market. They solve the issue of the color wheel.

LED DLP's use bulbs as well? How do they compare to projection LCD's, or LCD's in particular? Some LED DLP's appeared to be within my price range.

LED DLP's use LED bulbs which last for a good 50,000 to 60,000 hours (supposedly). Also, because there are three separate bulbs, the color wheel is removed. Less moving parts, much longer lasting bulbs and a pretty good picture, overall. You should definitely check them out if cost is an issue but you still want something that will last. Compared to LCD projos, the LED DLP's are much better. As far as LCD's go, it can go either way depending on what sets you're comparing.

I just bought a Samsung 42" plasma for $1200. A 40" Samsung LCD was going to be $1599.

Don't believe the burn-in hype about plasmas, either. I've had mine for 4 days now and have not noticed any burn-in from my 360 or ESPN logos/tickers. If you buy a good, quality plasma, it will have all the bells and whistles to prevent burn-in, as bangbang suggested.

I was initially dead-set on the Samsung LCD but after watching a football game on one last weekend, I wasn't impressed. It might just be me, though. Best thing to do is go to the store and spend some time watching.

i saw some DLP Samsungs and i have to say that their picture quality is not even comparable (from what i can remember). its a shame that they are so huge, but the picture is sharp as anything and the colors ACTUALLY seem like they are leaking from the tv set and into your room.

i always thought plasmas were expensive because of their quality? from what i saw, plasma has higher resolution, and faster response time. also they seemed to be made from better plastic (asthetics) usually and were only handeled by big companies such as Mistsubishi, Sony, and the like.

You'll pay a huge price on a TrueHD 1080p Plasma TV. Most Plasma TV are set to 1024x768, it's even lower than most 720p LCD that do 1366x768.

Right now, at FutureShop, you can select a Panasonic 42" Plasma @ $1499 that do 1024x768 or another Panasonic 42" Plasma 1080p @ $2699.... Then again, you can get a Pioneer 42" Plasma 1024x768 @ $2699 !!!!

For about the same price, you can get a 46-47" 1080p LCD....

I own a Sony SXRD 50" Projection, it's 1080p and it's simply amazing. And I think it looks even better than some 1080p LCD. You can get a 60" Sony SXRD for $2499

All price in $CAN...

Resolution isn't everything and the fact that plasmas have rectangular cells is a reason why the resolutions are what they are. Either way, look at that Pioneer next to almost any LCD or even your projection and you'll see the difference. The color reproduction and black levels completely spank any other technology.

What everyone seems to do is get caught up in the numbers. Stop reading the spec sheets and just look at the picture. The numbers lie. According to your resolution numbers, the Pioneer 4280 should be a miserable set, yet it's one of the best flat panels in it's size range.

thanks, the purchase isn't meant to be immediately, however I am keeping an eye out for what I want..

I was more concerned on types of TV's because I didn't understand the downside to them. I'm cleaning out my basement and slowly making room to put a TV down here, I do have the money.. its just 'finding the right one for the right price'.

4. LCD's have quicker response times, yes, but plasmas are even better.

Both plasmas and LCD's will average around 60,000 - 80,000 hours barring any technical problems. After this time, you can pay to have the backlights on an LCD replaced while a plasma will simply be dead. However, we're talking 8 - 10 years down the line and I'm pretty sure you'll want something new at that time.

LCD's are great, yes, but put any LCD next to something like a Pioneer plasma and plasma is suddenly much better. The color depth is just so much better than that of any LCD on the market.

So what you're saying is that my LN-T4071F isn't as good as new plasmas. It looks beautiful, meh.

So what you're saying is that my LN-T4071F isn't as good as new plasmas. It looks beautiful, meh.

As good as a Pioneer? It depends. The set is beautiful, don't get me wrong, but the black levels on the Pioneer are still much better. Then again, compared to most plasmas, your Sammy would hold up well. However, when you start looking at the companies that really dedicate something to the tech, such as Pioneer, you can see how great it can really be.

Yep ... nothing beats the pioneer plasma's

the 4270's or 5070's are a good deals if you can find them still on sale. . although last gen models..

I'm currently loving my pioneer 5080HD (best blacks :) ) . . and can't wait until my 6010 eventually arrives....

most plasmas have much better blacks, more even and natural color, higher contrast, and generally better picture . .

An onwer of a Sharp AQUOS LC-46D82U Lcd (1080p)(bedroom set) ...an absolutely gorgeous best black level : Pioneer 5080HD Kuro plasma (768p) (main Living room) , and also a very nice Panasonic TH-42PZ700 plasma (1080p) (Den)

ask if you want more info on HD tech. .

check out some reviews on sets you want, read up on facts and info, check out avsforum maybe . .

I personally am much happier with my plasma sets,.... the aquos looks good and is better for pc desktop usage,... but for any tv shows and movies my plasmas are king . . they are all great for gaming (although plasma are still a bit better as they have absolutely no lag or pixel blur unlike even the best lcd's)

Good Picture Quality Attributes

1. High Quality Source (Most Important)

2. Contrast Ratio / Deep Blacks

3. Color Saturation

4. Color Accuracy

5. Resolution (Least Important) . . don't fall into the resolution matters the most.. hype, get educated about the facts..

Edited by WolfDV

5. Resolution (Least Important) . . don't fall into the resolution matters the most.. hype, get educated about the facts..

Yeah, because who cares about Blu-Ray or HD-DVD in 1080p? 1024x768 is just enough when the movie is shown in 1920x1080. You're not loosing anything. Right?

Even I can see a nice difference between a 720p or 1080p HDTV. I know that Plasma give the best picture "quality" and black level. They Win! But you do lose on the resolution.

Yep ... nothing beats the pioneer plasma's

the 4270's or 5070's are a good deals if you can find them still on sale. . although last gen models..

I'm currently loving my pioneer 5080HD (best blacks :) ) . . and can't wait until my 6010 eventually arrives....

most plasmas have much better blacks, more even and natural color, higher contrast, and generally better picture . .

An onwer of a Sharp AQUOS LC-46D82U Lcd (1080p)(bedroom set) ...an absolutely gorgeous best black level : Pioneer 5080HD Kuro plasma (768p) (main Living room) , and also a very nice Panasonic TH-42PZ700 plasma (1080p) (Den)

ask if you want more info on HD tech. .

check out some reviews on sets you want, read up on facts and info, check out avsforum maybe . .

I personally am much happier with my plasma sets,.... the aquos looks good and is better for pc desktop usage,... but for any tv shows and movies my plasmas are king . . they are all great for gaming (although plasma are still a bit better as they have absolutely no lag or pixel blur unlike even the best lcd's)

1. High Quality Source (Most Important)

2. Contrast Ratio / Deep Blacks

3. Color Saturation

4. Color Accuracy

Damn. You have a HD Aquos and a Kuro Plasma...

How do you get anything done :D

BTW, Sharp just announced an alliance with Pioneer, and will become the lead shareholder with 14% of Pioneer shares.

Rumours abound that Sharp and Pioneer will merge :shiftyninja:

If you wan't the best quality picture go for Sony KDS-55A2000 or 55A3000 Full HD rear projection. It beats LCD and Plasma TV's anyday.

Not a chance. They're decent sets, but don't beat a high end LCD or many plasmas.

Not a chance. They're decent sets, but don't beat a high end LCD or many plasmas.

One HIFI magazine reviewed it in their yearly test late '06 and said that none of the below 10 000 ? LCD's or Plasmas's can't compete with it. It got full 5 stars. I also saw it in a store recently, none of the 47" and 50" LCD's or Plasmas they had didn't give nearly as good picture as KDS-55A2000.

Edited by Joni_78

One HIFI magazine reviewed it in their yearly test late '06 and said that none of the below 10 000 ? LCD's or Plasmas's can't compete with it. It got full 5 stars. I also saw it in a store recently, none of the 47" and 50" LCD's or Plasmas they had didn't give nearly as good picture as KDS-55A2000.

I have the 50A2000 and when shopping for it, I've seen LCD and Plasma, read the spec, looked at the picture quality using HD content and for the price, at that moment, nothing could beat the SXRD. It was the best. And 1080p, not the low 1024x768 of most plasma at that time. Plasma does have better black level, but that's about it. And while LCD where also starting to offer 1080p, picture looked overly sharp and was hard on the eyes and give dark grayish black.

DLP is the newest out the technologies you listed and I would go for DLP personally, it is superior.

No and no.

Plasma has better black levels, much wider viewing angles, and no hot spots. DLP is not superior. It's meant to be a cost effective alternative.