my first HDTV

i hate to be rude, but could someone answer my question? is it necessary to buy extended warranty on LCD TV's? What problems normally occur? are LCD TV's worth a few hundred more to insure that it won't break down?

in my opinion, extended warranties aren't worth it. they're just money makers for the stores. however, if it'll make you feel better about your purchase, and have extra money, buying one won't hurt, though make sure you understand what it'll cover.

I don't think you can go wrong with either plasma or LCDs right now. It's just a matter of personal preference after seeing the images, and what you can afford.

i hate to be rude, but could someone answer my question? is it necessary to buy extended warranty on LCD TV's? What problems normally occur? are LCD TV's worth a few hundred more to insure that it won't break down?

I would get it. There are a few things in life I wouldn't buy with a warranty. Behind an Xbox 360 and a laptop, an expensive flat panel TV would be on that list.

There are disagreeing sides to the argument. From what I see get it. Especially if you decide to go with LCD or Plasma. Their displays can go bad within the first year or less. 300 bucks or less is not bad to protect a 4000 dollar investment.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a follow up, Thank you Neowin, I decided after all to go with a LCD because I loved the picture quality this LCD put out.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.a...=&langid=EN

I first seen this TV at a local chain called the brick and I fell in love with it. However I didn't like their return policies and they were too pressured for me to want to buy it from them and their price was a little high.

I purchased this TV, after watching its price for a long time, I got this TV for $1,999 at Visions Electronics with a little bit of bargaining and price matching. I also added a 4 year warranty on it. Visions also has a policy that states if you do not use the extended warranty it is given back as store credit. Something no other retail chain offers here.

I haven't bought any HD cable boxes or component cable's for my Nintendo Wii yet, but that is to come eventually in the next month or two.

I want to thank all you members for your advice when it comes to purchasing, as your opinions helped me choose the right type of TV that I wanted that would suit my needs.

Thank You. :)

EDIT: 994 posts, i'm almost at 1000 :bounce:

• 2 weeks later...
Resolution isn't everything and the fact that plasmas have rectangular cells is a reason why the resolutions are what they are. Either way, look at that Pioneer next to almost any LCD or even your projection and you'll see the difference. The color reproduction and black levels completely spank any other technology.

What everyone seems to do is get caught up in the numbers. Stop reading the spec sheets and just look at the picture. The numbers lie. According to your resolution numbers, the Pioneer 4280 should be a miserable set, yet it's one of the best flat panels in it's size range.

Really great advice.

(Y)

• 1 month later...

I know its been a month and a half since someone posted in this thread, and I don't really want to be taking it from the dead. But I Want to personally thank all members who helped me purchase this TV.

Because I owned the TV for 60 days my Price match guarantee expired and all in total I paid $1709 for my tv + taxes + warranty (after a few price matches). $200 for the stand plus the little extras. I am very happy with my TV, If it wasn't for many members who posted in this thread I would and might have still been lost in what to look for in a TV.

I can't thank you enough and I'm just proud of the price I got the TV for because I watched this TV from when it was on sale for $2,600.

I feel like I made an excellent choice so I'd like to thank you guys once again.

Thank you! - Dale :)