WinAMP 5.5 Beta

The memory goes up alot when you open it at first but when minimized it goes down and stays down.

true...look this (while playing)...it's latest beta2 version, but fully tweaked...only 3mb :woot: and startup is fast as hell...

winampjd9.th.jpg

they've done great job so far...tumbs up!

true...look this (while playing)...it's latest beta2 version, but fully tweaked...only 3mb :woot: and startup is fast as hell...

winampjd9.th.jpg

Holy Mackerel!!!

I don't understand why people should be surprised about this. The Dev team is always adding optimizations and tweaks to the newer builds. They wouldn't do anything that adversely affects performance.

More components may be added with new versions, but if you remove the ones you don't use, the newer version are going to be lighter.

9.5 times out of ten you should refrain form using the term "bloat" because you're probably going to use it incorrectly; this is especially true with winamp.

Hmmm, anyone else's winamp struggle to stay Always On Top? It seems to disappear sometimes, then you have to disable then enable Always On Top again...

I'm using it in windowshade mode (don't know if that is affecting it).

@northwood28 - care to go through your 'tweaked' config?

Hmmm, anyone else's winamp struggle to stay Always On Top? It seems to disappear sometimes, then you have to disable then enable Always On Top again...

I'm using it in windowshade mode (don't know if that is affecting it).

Yeah, got that as well. (windowshade mode)

And does anyone know how to customize the windowshaded version of Bento? (to remove all the extra crap like visualisation, etc.)

winampjd9.th.jpg

What tweaks did you do, becaus it's slow as hell here at startup... :huh:

Hope it has nothing to do with a (very) large library, got 36K songs stored.

3700+, 1gb ram, winxp, so that has nothing to do with it.....

What tweaks did you do, becaus it's slow as hell here at startup... :huh:

i'd like to know what tweaks you guys are using... it doesnt start slowly, but it's taking around 20mb

quick edit: 3500+, 2gb ram, windows xp

Well, If you have all your songs id'd, then you can stop winamp from reading the metadata.

Preferences > General Preferences > Titles > Metadata Reading > "Read metadata only when file(s) are played".

Well, If you have all your songs id'd, then you can stop winamp from reading the metadata.

Preferences > General Preferences > Titles > Metadata Reading > "Read metadata only when file(s) are played".

thx for the help, but didn't work. Still as slow as crap......

No 64 bit processor or Vista 64 bit support I see.

It's still an x86 Application.

I've ran it on XP/Vista X64 without any major issue. cd ripping/burning work great. It's a 32it program that doesn't need to be fully 64bit.

after using foobar for a long time i tried this beta and it seems very nice so far, my only complaints would be the replygain scanner is very slow as it only uses one of my q6600's cores and it cant scan certain formats like wavpack unless i am doing something wrong (foobars scanner is multithreaded).

i have not had a reason to use its transcoding tool yet but does anyone know if that is multithreaded? if not i will probably end up installing foobar just for to do basic conversion/tagging task and use winamp for playback.

well, I removed plug-ins as Tem described here (modern skin support, ouput, visualization, dsp/effect and general purpose plugins) . If you cannot remove some plugins (like crasher report) just delete .dll and one .exe file (can't remember the name exactly) file from Plugins directory in Program Files/Winamp...;) I've done all that since Winamp got its first plugins :)...

then customize your winamp as you wish :)

here you can find tweak guide for Winamp: link

my config: p4 2.8C, 875P chipset & 1GB DDR400...

Edited by northwood28

visualization and dsp/effect fields are empty...

it's just mp3/wma/wmv player ;)

Since then I switched over to WMP 11 till Winamp 5.5 finalizes then I am going to reunbloat it. ;)

Good work!

Since then I switched over to WMP 11 till Winamp 5.5 finalizes then I am going to reunbloat it. ;)

Good work!

wmp11 is quite good player indeed, but I prefer Winamp :)

when's the release date for final version?

I found one really good plugin...If you want to play ONLY mp3 files you could delete everything from Input field and add shibatch mpg123 plugin...download it from here ;)

direct link (I'm using SSE2 version of plugin)

Edited by northwood28