Main Page Poll: Neowin in general..

This is the area to discuss how you voted on our latest Main page poll.

Neowin is constantly improving upon itself, adding new features and implementing (where possible) member requests for new features or squashing bugs.

The current theme is now uniform across the site and after a lengthy process of ironing out bugs we are now looking towards the next generation look for Neowin where simplicity is key and easier browsing through the site remains a priority.

Let us know how you feel about Neowin, how we can improve upon it or just let us know we are doing alright!

Thanks in advance.

I voted that it still rocks. It's been interesting to see how the site continues to evolve and add better or at least nicer-looking features.

And I like the shift theme infinitely better than swift on both the main pages and the forums.

Sometimes the tweaks to the latest forums posts and latest news take some getting used to, but once you get accustomed to them they work well.

With that said, I'm not wild about the latest news section, where it shows main headlines for a few seconds, then goes to a message, then back to main headlines...Every time a headline catches my eye, it changes to the other message, and I have to either wait for it to come back up, or scroll down the page to figure out which one it was. It's kind of annoying

leave it be for now!

Unless there is some major advances i dont see the need to change.

There is a site called www.boards.ie it uses a pretty basic system and its been up and running snce 1998 i believe, it doesnt work as nice as here or look as well but it hasnt hurt its numbers, so therefore, i dont think a huge overhaul of the site here is necessary for sometime yet.

Its the community rather than the board that makes a site imo..

I wanted to vote Still Rocks, but I think I'll have to go for Needs Some Work, because here the poll does not work. :laugh:

The Poll is on the main news site :) on the sidemenu.. this is where it links to discuuss it ;)

I like how the site looks and how the forum works. It's much nicer than it was.

I like how the mods do a good job killing flames and rude posts.

It'd be cool if you had more colours available on the themes (orange/red/brown?), but it all looks slick and nice. :D

I wanted to vote Still Rocks, but I think I'll have to go for Needs Some Work, because here the poll does not work. :laugh:

ya i tried to vote and it just had some popup then nothing

i naturally assumed that it would show me the results but nothing changed. am i just supposed to keep voting? :p

leave it be for now!

Unless there is some major advances i dont see the need to change.

There is a site called www.boards.ie it uses a pretty basic system and its been up and running snce 1998 i believe, it doesnt work as nice as here or look as well but it hasnt hurt its numbers, so therefore, i dont think a huge overhaul of the site here is necessary for sometime yet.

Its the community rather than the board that makes a site imo..

+10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Leave it as is, it's the people that make it the best

I wanted to vote but clicking "Submit my vote!" does nothing. refreshing the page doesnt fix it.

It's the same for me.

I tried to vote for 'needs more work'. I don't mean to criticize Neowin as I know everyone has different preferences, and mine isn't commonly shared, and I know I haven't been at Neowin since the beginning. I personally don't like the new theme all that much, so I use Swift. However, Swift doesn't look like how it used to. In my opinion, Neowin looked the best in 2004/2005* (Y) I'm not sure if this is relevant to what you're asking, but now I feel Neowin's gotten more complicated with blogs and the like. They were alright when only staff had them, and I occasionally viewed them then, but now I don't view them at all (and yes, I have made one blog entry of my own, but that was just to test :p I'm no hypocrite). It seems not to look so impressive as I did, but I recognize things must change to progress Neowin. Also, I'm not a fan of the forum structure now - I preferred as it was. I know this obviously isn't any fault of Neowin's, but a lot of great members have left :(

Overall though, I still really like Neowin (I mean, I plan to resubscribe), and the atmosphere here is good.

*neowin.gif

Oh yeah, I use a 1024*768 monitor at the moment, so Neowin should look a hell of a lot better on a bigger one (which I'll get soon!). I guess that explains why things don't look as great.

This is the area to discuss how you voted on our latest Main page poll.

Neowin is constantly improving upon itself, adding new features and implementing (where possible) member requests for new features or squashing bugs.

The current theme is now uniform across the site and after a lengthy process of ironing out bugs we are now looking towards the next generation look for Neowin where simplicity is key and easier browsing through the site remains a priority.

Let us know how you feel about Neowin, how we can improve upon it or just let us know we are doing alright!

Thanks in advance.

Where's the poll? :huh: I like the way it looks, great job.

I voted it needs work, as when I clicked to vote even, nothing happened. Unfortunately, Neowin still needs LOADS of work!! It reminds me of Nero or Nvidia, gotta have it, but full of bloat! You other people saying it doesn't, are just sucking up and trying for brownie points!! :)

lcg said it all pretty accurately above.

Edited by cork1958

My options about neowin:

While I like the new updates, I fell the forums are, well a bit over packed. I like how you have anoucments on the top. Why not add the feedback and bug reports to the top? Everything neowin on the top.

Help & Discussion Center

Customizing Windows

• Everything in this section is fine. Leave it the way it is

, Windows Support

*nix Customization & Support

• Combine all forums under one catagory. How many use linux on here? they can just click a link and click what catagory they want.

Macintosh Customization & Support - Rename Apple Discussion

• Everything in here is fine. leave it

Designing & Programming

• Fine. leave it

General & Off Topic Discussion - You say "no off topic discussion" in the rules, so why this?

Recreational Activities

• Fine, leave those

Neowin Related Discussion

• Fine, but like I said above perhaps move to the top.

Let me know what you think. and fell free to add and change stuff to my list. but the current forum is WAY to over packed. needes some space to breathe.