O'rielly Charged with Racisim...

Media Matters: Bill O?Reilly - Racistb>

Media Matters has an article up, in which it is claimed that Bill O?Reilly proved himself to be a racist on his nationally syndicated radio talk show. What happened according to Media Matters?

During the September 19 edition of his nationally syndicated radio program, discussing his recent trip to have dinner with Rev. Al Sharpton at Sylvia?s, a famous restaurant in Harlem, Bill O?Reilly reported that he ?had a great time, and all the people up there are tremendously respectful,? adding: ?I couldn?t get over the fact that there was no difference between Sylvia?s restaurant and any other restaurant in New York City. I mean, it was exactly the same, even though it?s run by blacks, primarily black patronship.?

That?s not all, according to Media Matters at least:

"Later, during a discussion with National Public Radio senior correspondent and Fox News contributor Juan Williams about the effect of rap on culture, O?Reilly asserted: ?There wasn?t one person in Sylvia?s who was screaming, ?M-Fer, I want more iced tea.? You know, I mean, everybody was ? it was like going into an Italian restaurant in an all-white suburb in the sense of people were sitting there, and they were ordering and having fun. And there wasn?t any kind of craziness at all.? O?Reilly also stated: ?I think black Americans are starting to think more and more for themselves. They?re getting away from the Sharptons and the [Rev. Jesse] Jacksons and the people trying to lead them into a race-based culture. They?re just trying to figure it out. ?Look, I can make it. If I work hard and get educated, I can make it.?

Luckily for us, we can listen to O?Reilly?s exact words by clicking here.

About the dinner with Al Sharpton O?Reilly was dealing with prejudices some whites have against blacks. His point isn?t ?how suprising!? his point is ?there?s no difference between black and white Americans. We?re equal.?

About the rapmusic his point wasn?t that he was surprised that no black person was shouting ?M-Fer, I want more iced tea!? in the restaurant, the point he was trying to make is that, according to O?Reilly, most black people don?t like rap. Many whites, O?Reilly says, are amazed that blacks can like 50 Cent, Snoop Dog, etc., and wonder ?how can blacks like this?? O?Reilly?s answer: most blacks are just as disgusted with the sexual, alcohol and money celebrating subculture of rap as whites are. So, in fact, he was defending the black community here, not expressing his surprise with the fact that most black people don?t call each other ?MF?er.?

Juan Williams? take on rap music: first he explained that most listeners and buyers of rap CDs are white. There?s a difference between how white youth and black youth experience rap, though. According to Williams, whites consider it more as ?part of their life at a certain moment,? whereas blacks think ?ah, so this is what it?s like to be an authentic black man.?

I thank reader Mike for forwarding me the links to the article at Media Matters, to the radio show itself, and to this post at Power Line with a video in which Juan Williams and Bill O?Reilly talk about the article at Media Matters and how CNN and MSNBC took Media Matters? article seriously. The two explain that Bill O?Reilly was talking about his grandmother who was prejudiced and to whom O?Reilly said ?but do you even know any black people?? His grandmother didn?t, of course. She was prejudiced. She had never socialized with blacks, she?d never talked to blacks. But she was prejudiced nonetheless. That?s silly. And that?s the point O?Reilly wanted to make.

But there is more: not only did Media Matters publish a smear, some liberal blogs picked it up, happily joining the smear crowd. Examples are Daily Kos and Eschaton. If that would be all examples Icould give you, the damage (and smear) would be fairly limited: sadly, not so. Many liberal blogs responded. These bloggers either didn?t listen to the show itself, or they did and simply decided that twisting O?Reilly?s words would help them (politically and blogging-wise). Other examples are Talking Points Memo and Pundit Nation.

More, as said, not only did liberal bloggers pick it up, networks like CNN and MSNBC did so as well. In the video at Power Line O?Reilly explains that these networks truly have no defense; CNN knows that Media Matters distorted what was said and what happened, because O?Reilly et al. contacMedia Matters Turns From O'Reilly to Taking Rush Out of Contextrdpress.com/2007/09/30/media-matters-bill-oreilly-racist/"]Source[/url]

Media Matters Turns From O'Reilly to Taking Rush Out of Context

Our friend Brian Maloney at Radio Equalizer has an excellent run-down of Media Matters (MMA) latest attack on another of its favorite bogeymen: Rush Limbaugh. Earlier this week it was sharpening its knives over Bill O'Reilly

Not content to wait until Bill O'And this time, the distortion of words may actually be more severe than in O'Reilly's case.as added a second target: Rush Limbaugh.

And this time, the distortion of words may actually be more severe than in O'Reilly's case.

Now, Media Matters has twisted and edited Rush's words in a way that makes it appear he's insulting the troops. They've taken the false idea that he called anti- war soldiers "phony troops" and spread it across the InternLimbaugh's best point is this (Bill O'Reilly, take note): critics of conservative talk radio, especially in the mainstream media, never actually listen to these shows. They simply accept the Media Matters spin as gospel without actually tuning in. O'Reilly and Limbaugh cannot emphasize this point enough.s. They simply accept the Media Matters spin as gospel without actually tuning in. O'Reilly and Limbaugh cannot emphasize this point enough.

Limbaugh was actually talking about the story of Jesse MacBeth, a fake "soldier" who never made it out of boot camp, yet was utilized by the anti- war left as a "veteran" who agreed with Iraq opponents.

Source

Video about how O'Reilly is going insane with this.

Pretty funny video. I can't believe he said the things he has about this incident recently.

"These people aren't gonna get away with this. I'm gonna go right where they live. Every corrupt media person in this country is on notice right now. I'm coming after you. I'm gonna hunt you down. And I mean it. Smear stops here. You're all on notice out there. I'm comin' for ya."

--Bill O'Reilly, The Radio Factor with Bill O'Reilly

Video about how O'Reilly is going insane with this.

Pretty funny video. I can't believe he said the things he has about this incident recently.

If he didn't want this type of attention then he shouldn't have used racially charged statements. It all seems like a big publicity stunt to me. Ratings, ratings, ratings...

If anything, I see this as a perfect way to charge someone with something only the devil would do (be racist), create a media firestorm of democrats to say he IS racist and hope that this gets him off the air. Really, all you have to do is accuse someone of racism and let the public/media debate carry on afterwards.

All in all, it just points to the great political/ideological divide that exists in the US.

If he didn't want this type of attention then he shouldn't have used racially charged statements. It all seems like a big publicity stunt to me. Ratings, ratings, ratings...

If you disagree with their ideology....it is ok to take words out of context and charge them with racism...

This just shows me that the ends justify the means...no matter what we have to do we will do it...our way is better and we will beat down anyone (right or wrong) to reach our goals.

What comments did he make that were "racially charged"?

If you disagree with their ideology....it is ok to take words out of context and charge them with racism...

This just shows me that the ends justify the means...no matter what we have to do we will do it...our way is better and we will beat down anyone (right or wrong) to reach our goals.

Apparently even denouncing racism in a monologue is "racially charged"if you are a white conservative.

You've read and/or heard what was said. He needlessly dragged up racial stereotypes to seek attention.

From what I have read, Media Matters did not actually denounce him for being "racist". They said his statements were ignorant and racially charged. I don't disagree with those conclusions.

If his point was to show that dining in a black-owned restaurant was no different than dining in a white-owned restaurant there were more mature and responsible ways to go about it. I think O’Reilly is trying to make this about "racism" because he thinks he can win that argument.

You've read and/or heard what was said. He needlessly dragged up racial stereotypes to seek attention.

From what I have read, Media Matters did not actually denounce him for being "racist". They said his statements were ignorant and racially charged. I don't disagree with those conclusions.

If his point was to show that dining in a black-owned restaurant was no different than dining in a white-owned restaurant there were more mature and responsible ways to go about it. I think O?Reilly is trying to make this about "racism" because he thinks he can win that argument.

I agree that he could've made his point better, but I fail to see how this entire media blow up is necessary. Honestly, I'd rather hear about Paris Hilton getting arrested again than having to read about O'Reilly. (okay, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration, but I think you get my point)

"This week on a CNN evening debate about Bill O?Reilly and racism, one of the guests--an African-American named Boyce Watkins (Professor at Syracuse University)--criticized Black author Juan Williams (author and NPR Senior Correspondent) for defending O?Reilly. Watkins called Williams a "happy negro"--twice. And no one on the CNN program, including host and staff, said anything about that remark."

No outrage?