Neowin Digital Gallery

saxondale.

Can any of you explain a little bit about each focus mode? When you would use each one etc? Thanks

accesser
Can any of you explain a little bit about each focus mode? When you would use each one etc? Thanks

Your best bet is to experiment Sax.

I?m at work so don?t have access to my 350D manual to get the terminology right.

I?ll do my best basically one of them focuses once when you half press the shutter it will lock on to the AF port you chose or if you chose to use all of them it will lock onto one it thinks is good

The other mode will keep re-focusing so try it change the focus mode and keep holding the shutter (half) down and move the camera around it should keep re-focusing.

If you move the camera so the scene is mostly background and then move it so there is a subject in the foreground you should see if keeping up with the focus.

There are too types to kind of focusing one of them I think is intelligent and can spot when where is a moving object and will switch that mode on where as if it cant spot a moving subject it will only use single focus mode, The other will always use the constant focusing

o0moonman0o

to sum up the above, theres oneshot, ai focus, ai servo

oneshot = only focus once per half press shutter

aifocus = smart mode which it stays in oneshot but if detect movement goes to aiservo

aiservo = continuous focusing, half press shutter and the af point select will keep focusing on watever it's on.

focus is alot better on 1D series than on any other canon camera.

accesser
to sum up the above, theres oneshot, ai focus, ai servo

oneshot = only focus once per half press shutter

aifocus = smart mode which it stays in oneshot but if detect movement goes to aiservo

aiservo = continuous focusing, half press shutter and the af point select will keep focusing on watever it's on.

focus is alot better on 1D series than on any other canon camera.

Cheers you explained that better than I did mine was franticly typed out during my lunch break lol.

How is the 1D?s focus better I know it has more focus point doesn?t it? I guess for the money it would just be better over all faster and more accurate?

Aiservo is fun I used that when I was messing with some shots of cars I?d use it to lock onto the car and use a slow shutter while panning the camera in the direction the car was traveling I ended up with cool shots where the BG was really blurry and the car in focus apart for the moving wheels.

I guess this is what you use for things like birds then

saxondale.

I know we should have a thread for this but....

So could you give examples of when you would use these modes?

Accesser has provided a good example of aiservo

SergioLopes

testing new lens Canon EF-S 100mm Macro 1:1

mosca01t.jpg

and another one...

rail01.jpg

gigapixels

Wow, I like the railroad track. The entire composition works extremely well.

SergioLopes
Wow, I like the railroad track. The entire composition works extremely well.

Thank you :)

I'm relatively new to digital photography....

some more: www.sergiolopes.dphoto.com ;)

gigapixels

I'm pretty new to it as well. I just got my XTi last Christmas, and it was my first DSLR (my previous camera was a crappy old 3.2MP Sony point and shoot that I never used).

Looks like you're learning fast though (Y)

accesser
testing new lens Canon EF-S 100mm Macro 1:1

and another one...

rail01.jpg

Love :heart: this great colors very nice (Y)

accesser
I know we should have a thread for this but....

So could you give examples of when you would use these modes?

Accesser has provided a good example of aiservo

I?d love to have more talk about tips and trick and info about how the photos where taken in this thread or another thread anyone else feel the same?

Sax as I sad in my other post I use ai-servo for the cars and other similar situations.

I don?t like the ai focus I?d rather tell the camera when I want one shot or ai servo.

One shot is good for most other kinds of shots where you don?t have a moving subject if you where shooting through trees for example ai servo might focus on the trees and not your intended subject.

Can anyone else give some good examples of when to use the different modes ?

sin-ergy
and another one...

[/img]

I never seen a sexier railroad. Converging lines ftw. Good job :D

SergioLopes
I never seen a sexier railroad. Converging lines ftw. Good job :D

Thank you...

Next i'll try on a curve...

Kerm
Can anyone else give some good examples of when to use the different modes ?

One Shot is very useful for focusing on the subject you want. by half pressing the shutter, then keeping it halfpressed you can then recompose your image and you know you will still have the focus on your subject.

Servo would have automatically refocused on whatever the focus point was on.

It does depend on what you want, for sports servo is fantastic.

*Edit* Having said that, if i was trying to shoot motorbikers coming round a corner at 23984795 mph i would pre focus on a section of the track I know they will pass through, because servo might not be quick enough.

o0moonman0o
Cheers you explained that better than I did mine was franticly typed out during my lunch break lol.

How is the 1D?s focus better I know it has more focus point doesn?t it? I guess for the money it would just be better over all faster and more accurate?

Aiservo is fun I used that when I was messing with some shots of cars I?d use it to lock onto the car and use a slow shutter while panning the camera in the direction the car was traveling I ended up with cool shots where the BG was really blurry and the car in focus apart for the moving wheels.

I guess this is what you use for things like birds then

1d's focus is faster and more accurate as all of it's focus points are cross type sensor, yeah panning cars u can use ai servo + slow shutter to get the wheels spinning and bg blurred to create a sense of speed. for bird shots , use aiservo and fast shutter as a bird is rather small and flies rather fast and less predictable. for portraits as many know, use oneshot. for maybe taking pics of a little kid u can use aifocus, however i would use oneshot more. if u look at the 1d's function list, 1d only has aiservo and oneshot mode.

Another Canuck

A couple of mine:

1392848211_f1cabda715.jpg

1313709668_7b97aaf454.jpg

1374405140_a63bcd5de3.jpg

1646146897_11aa224e8c.jpg

sin-ergy

^ Cute rabbit :p Might wanna get rid of the uh plant thing from the left side on the 2nd pic though.

rounds

SergioLopes your photos were excellent.

There's some excellent stuff in this thread, and I agree with some earlier posts that it'd be interesting and useful if some more information/advice was given regarding how the pictures were taken. It's very useful for beginners as a lot of these photos are quite inspiring.

Cormier6083

I'd post my unbelieveable pics, but I'm still a film ######.

sin-ergy

moreage

1698655689_0289d0f3f3_o.jpg

1699504764_fe38b8ccc7_o.jpg

MasterC

Small amount of ash (the white particles) from the fires in southern California. I live a couple miles from the Santiago Canyon fire, so it's extremely smokey, and ash is starting to fall more now. We're packing our stuff up in case we have to evacuate.

Ash_small.jpg

Edited by MasterC

sin-ergy

^ scary O_O

.Markus

Nice shot MasterC, the horizontal lines on the curb leads the eye right in to the center of the photo! :)

HideAndGoatse

1346660483_800a271ee4.jpg

Picture off my flickr, I'm not a professional photographer, but I'd like to start getting into it more.

Just took a great shot while I was in Las Vegas for vacation.

Been wanting to fix it up a bit in photoshop, maybe add a black boarder with a thin silver lining separating the picture and the boarder ;)

MasterC
^ scary O_O

Yes it is. I just heard on the news that the Fire Authority determined that it was an arsonist who started the fire. :no:

Nice shot MasterC, the horizontal lines on the curb leads the eye right in to the center of the photo! :)

Thanks. It was kinda hard to do that because I had to lay on the ground. Now I have ash all over my shirt! :laugh: