The plot thickens - 40GB PS3 found on Play.com

i am not buying if BC is removed that will be rediculous! I got a few PS2 games from the age i used to own one so if its removed i highly doubt i will be getting it, ill just wait for a price drop on the 60gb version which does have BC.

It will use software BC just same as us PAL users have it's not 100% but it's damn near close enough and not worth cringeing about.

It will use software BC just same as us PAL users have it's not 100% but it's damn near close enough and not worth cringeing about.

Do you have a source? Because this article states that it will have no BC at all and some users have posted how that may be true (because of the PS2's Graphics Chip).

4 October 2007 10:16 GMT - Sony will announce tomorrow that has bowed to consumer pressure by not only reducing the price of its 60GB console, but also creating a 40GB version priced at ?299 to go up against the Xbox 360 Elite.

Confirmed by multiple sources in the games industry in the UK, Pocket-lint has learnt that Sony Europe will officially drop the price of the games console in the UK by ?56 to ?369 in an attempt to boost sales ahead of the Christmas rush.

"We are currently under strict NDA, however that NDA runs out in the next 48 hours", a retail source told Pocket-lint.

The plot thickens!

A ?299 PS3 will really help the UK.

I paid ?330 for mine, and while it was 2nd hand, it is a 60GB and had a 3yr Game warranty.

?299 for new though is definitely a good move.

An extra ?70 for the 80 seems a little steep. I think we'll see far more 40's fly off shelves.

Just release FF and MGS, they could up the price and they would still be flying off the shelves :laugh:

... When MGS is released I'm gonna burn my Xbox, shave my head and start a cult.

ok here's my source. I have a PAL 60GB PS3 i bought in march on release date. It feature no EE or GS chip like the US NTSC ones because they were removed in favor of software emulation. the PS2 chip featured in early models of US PS3 has got EE + GS are on a single chip. Now for us PAL users we have neither GS or EE in our ps3s it's full software BC. You can rip open ps3 and see for yourself. This is same stuff people were bickering over when they announced PAL was first to remove ps2 chip. There's no still a ps2 graphics chip or anything, they are completely gone.

Early NTSC PS3

ps31sf6.jpg

PAL PS3

ps32ay4.jpg

ok here's my source. I have a PAL 60GB PS3 i bought in march on release date. It feature no EE or GS chip like the US NTSC ones because they were removed in favor of software emulation. the PS2 chip featured in early models of US PS3 has got EE + GS are on a single chip. Now for us PAL users we have neither GS or EE in our ps3s it's full software BC. You can rip open ps3 and see for yourself. This is same stuff people were bickering over when they announced PAL was first to remove ps2 chip. There's no still a ps2 graphics chip or anything, they are completely gone.

So basically you're saying that your source is your opinion based on the Europe-spec PS3s. Yet the article makes a point of highlighting the fact that it will come with no BC. Hmm....

Don't get me wrong, I hope the article is wrong and I see no logic in it since I don't know the inner workings of the chips, but it's there and no one has refuted it besides stating "their opinion."

whats the point of changing the hdd size and then selling it as a different sku ? that too knowing that HDD can be changed by the user easily

Ok, well give me one reasonable reason to think that BC would be removed completely ?

I'm not saying it's opinion based considering all PS3's use the same spec'd software BC now i've provided pictures for proof that there's no PS2 chips what so ever in software emulated PS3's so none of this talk about only has GS and no EE or whatever neither exist in software BC ps3's. I would more likely say the article is a misinterpretation then anything. Play.com has taken down whatever was up there anyway it seems.

If you guys would read the whole article that Sheppard posted you would know its not just a hard drive change for the 40gb.

As previously rumoured, the new PS3 console will still feature the Blu-ray drive as standard, come with 40GB hard drive, Wi-Fi connectivity and a SIXAXIS controller, but it will lose two of its four USB slots and the memory card reader.

It will also lose the backwards compatibility chip, although this isn't likely to affect UK customers, as in Europe backwards compatibility is done via software.

Lol so what this is saying is that they'll remove the chip for americans and not grant software BC even though it's still able to we'll just disable it but because europes already doing it they will enable it for us ? geez thats odd unless the american NTSC consoles were kinda all or nothing if we cant have the chips from ps2 we don't want BC. this is what i mean by sounds like rubbish to me

I'm not exactly certain what you mean, you have written it in a confusing way to me.

Backwards compatibility will be done using Software on all consoles everywhere.

The PS2 chip that was in them, is not going to be any more to reduce costs, this is then replaced by the software emulation.

They are not turning software emulation off on any consoles so there is no backwards computability at all, just removing the chip form future production.

If that's what you meant?

vaguely people are say there's "NO BC AT ALL" software BC doesn't mean none at all it means more round the 80% will work definitely but all this it's completely gone no BC at all stuff is rubbish is what i mean, yeah. PS2 chip was removed just like in europe to cut costs and now will use software BC.

So this was blowen up for no reason?

Basically they are removing the BC chip that we in the UK don't even have and running everything on software? I could of told you that MONTHS ago. There were tons of reports saying software BC was going to be used on every PS3 going forward. :laugh:

Bummer on the card reader/2 USB ports down if it's true. Home is going to use memory cards from cameras ect to upload videos/pictures.

Means people who want to do that on a 40GB will need to transfer to PC and then to USB portable hard drive or memory stick. Or send from directly from PC to PS3 hard drive if thats possible over a network?

As for the USB ports, I only use one for charging when necessary and occassionaly for plugging a drive/mem stick in. 2 SHOULD be enough for everyone.

Looks like everything else in intact (Wifi, HDMI, ect)

Soooo overall if you ask me, loosing out on a card reader/2 USB ports justifies a ?299 price tag. The ?70 difference in models gives you an extra 40GB of space/Card Reader/2xUSB ports.

Lets wait on the official announcement.

Edited by Audioboxer

I really don't see how this will help the PS3 sell. What the system needs is the killer games. Sadly until MGS4 the system just does not have them.

I really don't see how this will help the PS3 sell. What the system needs is the killer games. Sadly until MGS4 the system just does not have them.

While games available is a big complaint, there are good games out just now and more coming BEFORE titles like MGS4 hit. If you disagree it's clearly a taste issue. Why? Because there will be games hitting 7/8/9 outta 10 before MGS4. Folklore is the latest to get 9/10. R&C is scoring in the 90's as well.

If you don't think the price drops will help sell you really gotta get off yer high horse, and come down to reality.

PS3 retails at ?425 in the UK just now. While you can easily get it cheaper, that is the RRP. They are bringing out the new model at ?299 and bringing down the other to ?369.

A saving of ?125? I think that will excite a good number of reluctant buyers at the moment - Along with the fact that if you are a smart buyer you'll no doubt get some 40GB bundles with games just over ?300... or if you go for the system alone I think you could snag one for just under ?300.

PS2 GPU is still in the current models:

Does this mean that the PS2 hardware chips have been removed completely and replaced with software-only emulation?

The original PS3 used the Emotion Engine/Graphics Synthesiser to emulate PS2 titles. With the latest European specification we have removed the Emotion Engine, retaining the graphics chip. This has an impact on the number of PS2 titles that will be backwards compatible.

http://www.threespeech.com/blog/?p=293

QFT

It will sell more, but not much more imo. Not with the line up of games currently. Sony must be taking one hell of a hit on this new price drop!