1. 1. How did you find Neowin?

• A Google (Search) Result
    • From a friend/acquaintance
    • At work
    • By a news story
    • From TV/Radio
    • Link exchange / Linked from another site

On 02/10/2022 at 10:53, SnoopZ said:

It's a shame Neowin doesn't come up in Google searches anymore when searching for tech, no wonder the forum is so quiet.

It does with specific searches. We are on the first page with some technical terms we report on such as "Windows HDR Calibration app" and others but yes, the other issue is that news sites do not interlink like they used to. It used to be that tech sites would give a via and a thanks, but since venture capital started swallowing up tech sites for their own interests and sponsorships, I have it on good authority that they sometimes ban linking to rival tech sites altogether, because they know this is good SEO practice and helps with link authority.

Most of our traffic comes from "new users" (which means we are still being discovered through search) but our bounce rate is horrid, which means we have trouble keeping those new users here.

Thanks to all you guys for sticking around new and old! 🙏

• Like 2

I believe this is my first post since registering on this site back on July 31, 2004. I was living in Detroit metro area (Farmington Hills) and working for IBM at the time. I do remember trying to get various games to work on my ThinkPad T42p and Doom 3 was being hyped and would release in August 2004, so I was most likely reading articles/rumors about Doom 3 on this site. The ATI FireGL T2 128MB GPU in the ThinkPad wasn't up to the task in 2004.

• Like 2

Not sure how I found out about it, but it's one of a handful of tech sites I remember reading at school in the library instead of doing work :P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 09/10/2022 at 08:25, IconDRT said:

I believe this is my first post since registering on this site back on July 31, 2004. I was living in Detroit metro area (Farmington Hills) and working for IBM at the time. I do remember trying to get various games to work on my ThinkPad T42p and Doom 3 was being hyped and would release in August 2004, so I was most likely reading articles/rumors about Doom 3 on this site. The ATI FireGL T2 128MB GPU in the ThinkPad wasn't up to the task in 2004.

That's cool 😛 I was in Farmington Hills with @Redmak(co founder of Neowin)  in March 2005 negotiating when Stardock wanted to buy us out (they ended up with 40% ownership of Neowin). That is where their old shared office was located, or just outside that area. They are now in Plymouth MI. 18 years to do your first post, welcome! 😛 

On 02/10/2022 at 07:54, Steven P. said:

It does with specific searches. We are on the first page with some technical terms we report on such as "Windows HDR Calibration app" and others but yes, the other issue is that news sites do not interlink like they used to. It used to be that tech sites would give a via and a thanks, but since venture capital started swallowing up tech sites for their own interests and sponsorships, I have it on good authority that they sometimes ban linking to rival tech sites altogether, because they know this is good SEO practice and helps with link authority.

Most of our traffic comes from "new users" (which means we are still being discovered through search) but our bounce rate is horrid, which means we have trouble keeping those new users here.

Thanks to all you guys for sticking around new and old! 🙏

Might have to give a shoutout to Neowin's Minecraft community if I ever start streaming minecraft to twitch again lol...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My cat was browsing the internet and used my credit card to purchase cat food she bought and she has this open. She must have been wired at the time. Rip Billie.

seriously I think I found it years ago through a google searched . ‘Botched operations” 😍

• Haha 2

On 15/11/2007 at 23:57, Yusuf M. said:

Hmmm, I don't remember exactly how I found Neowin. I do remember something about clicking a link on a different website. I guess that's how I found Neowin. :blink:

PS: Almost everything I know about computers, software, and technology in general is because of Neowin. The community sparked my growing interest in technology and I learned a great deal. Thank you Neowin! :asl: :heart:💋 :hug_guy::hug_girl:💋 :hump:

My reaction to 17-year-old me's emoji choices:

2K1NA1I.gif

• Haha 3

A coworker, who accidentally launched an almost IT executive.

• 1 month later...
On 09/10/2022 at 04:17, Steven P. said:

That's cool 😛 I was in Farmington Hills with @Redmak(co founder of Neowin)  in March 2005 negotiating when Stardock wanted to buy us out (they ended up with 40% ownership of Neowin). That is where their old shared office was located, or just outside that area. They are now in Plymouth MI. 18 years to do your first post, welcome! 😛 

Very cool, indeed. What a small world. I lived at the Citation Club apartments on 13 Mile and Haggerty right out of grad school. Moved to Northville in 2004 and wife worked for a small law firm in Plymouth, so very familiar with the area.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/11/2022 at 10:38, Xenon said:

Holy crap! I joined neowin on November 17, 2001. I guess my account is drinking age in the US. 

Damn!

I don't know how old you are, but I find it weird to know I've been on this website more than half of my life. :ermm:

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

I found Neowin what feels like a million years ago when I was obsessed with all things WindowsXP.  I found a link to Neowin on WinBeta.org and I've been a loyal fan ever since... this place has evolved so much over the years, but it's always the same comfortable site it's always been.  So many super smart folks roaming these halls.  I may not be the biggest poster, but I've learned so much from the forum banter.  And that's all the gushing you're going to get out of me.  HAHA!!

• Like 2

Oh god I didnt realize how long i've been on neowin and how many people I remember (budman, dead.cell, shockz, sc302 and a few others). Been visiting this site since late 2003 / early 2004. I didnt have an account because at the time the internet was new, my mother was deathly afraid of it and looked over my shoulder and I was "too young". 

I found this site searching for something about XP. I eventually created an account during the Longhorn (Vista) days because a lot of us were brave enough to install the future and constantly break things and find how to fix them ourselves. Once we all learned how AWFUL longhorn was and went back to XP, we were basically family.

Ever since then, I've always been here lurking. After discovering Ubuntu in 2005/2006 with those "AOL" type tins and dealing with the MESS that was Vista, I have been a full linux guy with only 1 windows machine and its primarily for gaming. So I might not partake as much cause im not a "windows guy", but im always lurking to see how neowin and how the old posse is doing.

I was an avid member of Skinz.org, DA, and Deskmod back in the early 2000's for all things skinning and wallpapers. Due to Neowin's initial involvement with Stardock's product, I found my way here and haven't left.

Apparently it was something to do with running Server 2003 as Desktop OS. My first post was in 2004 on a thread "Windows Server 2003 for me".

It seems XP themes might have been the reason to join also as I've ported Longhorn Slate theme in Win XP.

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/161612-longhorn-slate/

I have no recollection what this was about, but apparently I had too much free time back then.

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/161540-longhorn-x-mesh-files/

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/161828-longhorn-rotating-arrow-file-copy-dialog/

I feel like I was searching for stuff regarding Whistler way back in the day. Didn't create an account until later though. It was this and another Windows-oriented news site I forget the name of.

On 19/12/2022 at 16:43, Squirrelington said:

I feel like I was searching for stuff regarding Whistler way back in the day. Didn't create an account until later though. It was this and another Windows-oriented news site I forget the name of.

IEXBeta?