PS3 misconceptions and spin

OK, so this is what we have so far. The PS3 people resort to the RROD (which has been fixed and will be completely phased in before the 3 years warranty), that this developer doesn't count (even though when precicely what he's saying is mentioned by a regular person it doesn't count because they're not a developer), or the simple "I love my PS3" (with no backup).

+1 for brand loyalty.

Apparently, they do. And honestly, what do you care? Unless you own stock with Microsoft, you shouldn't really care what people choose or choose not to purchase. Just enjoy your own system and let the others choose their's.

+1

Console fanboys seem too insecure to let people enjoy other consoles :rolleyes:

OK, so this is what we have so far. The PS3 people resort to the RROD (which has been fixed and will be completely phased in before the 3 years warranty), that this developer doesn't count (even though when precicely what he's saying is mentioned by a regular person it doesn't count because they're not a developer), or the simple "I love my PS3" (with no backup).

+1 for brand loyalty.

OK, so this is what we have so far. The 360 people resort to saying the RROD has been fixed and will be phased in shortly(even though the console shouldnt have had the fault in the first place and lots of people are on their 4th and 5th consoles), that this developer doesnt count (because hes ****ed off that Sony has the money to make the concept he was working on with his new company better than he can ever dream of), or the simple "I love my 360" (with no backup).

+1 for Xbox 360 "fans"

The PS3 people resort to the RROD (which has been fixed and will be completely phased in before the 3 years warranty),

the fact that its been fixed doesnt mean its a non-issue. plus, they still havent realised that silence is bliss.

OK, so this is what we have so far. The 360 people resort to saying the RROD has been fixed and will be phased in shortly(even though the console shouldnt have had the fault in the first place and lots of people are on their 4th and 5th consoles), that this developer doesnt count (because hes ****ed off that Sony has the money to make the concept he was working on with his new company better than he can ever dream of), or the simple "I love my 360" (with no backup).

+1 for Xbox 360 "fans"

Here's the difference: no one is denying there is a problem, although they do praise how it was handled. As for the developer being ****ed off, you're making broad assumptions here, and the people that like their 360 post a lot of reasons why they like it (better graphics, Live, the amount of incredibly good games available and coming).

You've resorted to schoolyard bickering so I won't waste more time replying to your baseless posts.

the fact that its been fixed doesnt mean its a non-issue. plus, they still havent realised that silence is bliss.

From what I understand it's a problem with a small percentage of the drives. Mine is as quiet as any other equipment I have, although a friend of mine's is noticably louder.

heh go enjoy 360 with plastic heroes like master chief and shoot at aliens

heh, go enjoy PS3 with... uh, hold on. Let me think of something... ummm... never mind.

Here's the difference: no one is denying there is a problem, although they do praise how it was handled. As for the developer being ****ed off, you're making broad assumptions here, and the people that like their 360 post a lot of reasons why they like it (better graphics, Live, the amount of incredibly good games available and coming).

You've resorted to schoolyard bickering so I won't waste more time replying to your baseless posts.

Why are you even in the Playstation section if you think your 360 is the best thing since sliced bread and the PS3 is crap, just stick to your own section and there would be no arguments.

exactly, what incredible games are you talking about? 360 has absolutely no titles that would make me even play them for 15 minutes, I don't know if in USA these type of games are all you people play? Shoot, destroy, kill, explode, aliens, blah. Please, not to mention 360 being the worst piece of hardware ever designed, overheating, dying. Maybe it has more games, but I don't know who are they adressed at, maybe PC gamers. Not to mention it being on the market longer than PS3. And I still don't give a damn about all the analytic+sells ****, it's annoying, PS2 had a lot of issues before but somehow it managed - PS3 will also

Haha "facts".

This guy is an EX Harmonix developer that started up his own company to do interactive social networking software which just so happens Sony is doing in the form of Home, he doesnt have a hope in hells chance of being able to match the quality of it so he is bitter towards Sony.

even if we ignore this guy, you still have a pretty large number of devs who are unhappy with the PS3's architecture.

And then add to that the fact that nearly all multiplatform titles are better on the 360, and it seems a lot of multiplatform titles ship on the 360 first, then the PS3 a little bit later. It is starting to say something.

Hell, if you look around you can see articles from 2001 saying a similar thing about the PS2. The only thing that saved it is the install base. If the PS2 didn't sell as many as it did, then I bet that most of the games on it would have been crap (the only reason devs worked hard on the PS2 is because they knew the games could sell a crap load. That isn't the case on the PS3)

Haha "facts".

This guy is an EX Harmonix developer that started up his own company to do interactive social networking software which just so happens Sony is doing in the form of Home, he doesnt have a hope in hells chance of being able to match the quality of it so he is bitter towards Sony.

While I may be a little late to the party in this topic, this is the first thing that I noticed, which of course makes the whole thing totally unbiased right?

Anyone who has a blog these days can write something, and every so often, we get something that someone has written that leads to nothing more than flame wars and the site getting hits, which would be just like now.

Yes, we get the devs that don't like coding for the game, and the PS3 gets some crappy ports, but it does get some good ones that when taken a little longer when being worked on, have come out looking better, not greatly, but it is still possible, which leads us to believe that putting extra time since getting to grips with the PS3 is harder than the 360 does result in the same quality of games.

Though all in all, I play the games i love because I enjoy them on whatever system I have at the time, not because of how powerful it is, otherwise I why would I get my Snes out every so often to play the oldies.

Yes, blah blah blah, PS3 is crap and is doomed, Sony sucks, 360 is great, the sun shines out of bill gates ass. Where do i get me a 360 Gamertag Sig so i can be a sheep and force my opinion on people who own PS3s. Funny how the only people who post negative things in here are the people that have xbox 360s and gamertag sigs.

The thing is I think the Wii proved that minor graphical differences really don't matter as much as people think to the consumer. If they did, wouldn't the Xbox have done much better than it did?

Most people dont buy a console to play crappy little minigame games.

Wii Sports? :whistle:

There has always been discussion about coding for the PS3. Most of the time someone yells "Well, you don't know because you're not a programmer!!!" This guy is a programmer. Can anyone have a blog? Yes, including people in the industry that know what they're talking about. Of course everyone wants to ignore something they don't like so they attack it with baseless arguments.

I'll say it again: I know people that have already bought a PS3 are not going to say they wasted their money and should've bought another system, particularly since most takers so far have been the hardcore fans. There are people out there that are still making decisions and may want to hear something from outside the marketing spin thrown at them.

This is a place to get PS3 news, not a place for only PS3 lovers to hang out in. If someone wants to learn about a PS3 this is a logical place to come to so its a logical place to post the news.

A lot of it sounds biased, although I believe there's some truth behind it all. Basically, the article states that the xbox 360 is miles better programming wise than the PS3. That sounds like bull**** to me.

Is the PS3 really that hard to work with, or are programmers a bunch of cry babies? Wasn't there a similar case with the PS2 in the beginning?

As there are some really good games with amazing graphics and excellent gameplay on the PS3, I somehow doubt everything said it's true

And the "better ways of compressing data" thing sounds ignorant at its best. Even with all the compression in the world, there's no way you can fit 50GB of blu-ray on a dvd-9.

There is a theoretical limit to lossless compression, and sometimes getting closer to that limit means that you need a lot more of processing power.

Game studios are where the money is, and if the PS3 isn't selling that well, they aren't going to release as many (great) games. Wait until the ps3 starts selling like it should, programming on the cell platform will become the easiest thing on earth.

There has always been discussion about coding for the PS3. Most of the time someone yells "Well, you don't know because you're not a programmer!!!" This guy is a programmer. Can anyone have a blog? Yes, including people in the industry that know what they're talking about. Of course everyone wants to ignore something they don't like so they attack it with baseless arguments.

Well im going to agree to disagree or this argument is going to go round and round in circles.

I'll say it again: I know people that have already bought a PS3 are not going to say they wasted their money and should've bought another system, particularly since most takers so far have been the hardcore fans. There are people out there that are still making decisions and may want to hear something from outside the marketing spin thrown at them.

Im not afraid to say im a little dissapointed with the PS3, when i took it out of the box it was huge, the pad didnt feel right, i wasnt a fan of the operating system, the graphics werent as "wow" as i had expected, i feel the Xbox 360 has a better "out of the box" experience, but the PS3 growing on me now plus it has some of the game franchises that the 360 doesnt that i bought my PS2 for back when it came out.

This is a place to get PS3 news, not a place for only PS3 lovers to hang out in. If someone wants to learn about a PS3 this is a logical place to come to so its a logical place to post the news.

Theres a difference between logic/news and spewing PS3 hatred just because people like the 360.

Prove it, just because YOU would play the hell out of it doesnt mean other people will, all the 360 has are driving games and shooting games.

Whats the point of arcade games, i didnt buy my ?350 console to play stupid little minigames.

WOW chatpad, i must go and buy one RIGHT AWAY!!!!!!!!!! I buy games to play them, not so i can sit and chat to my friends, i use the phone for that.

Whats with the arcade game fetish, we get it you like crappy little minigames. Of course the 360 will have more games its had a years headstart, sick of 360 fans saying "but the 360 has more" OF COURSE IT HAS.

Key word. "Apparently". Every peice of hardware has a failure rate especially something so complex but there are VERY few cases of PS3s failing, how many RROD problems have there been, how many people are on their 4th and 5th console.

You sound like a religious preacher, we get it you think the 360 is the dogs bollocks and the PS3 is crap, stop trying to belittle everyone who doesnt automatically jizz over the 360.

Yes, 5-6 games, mature. Enjoy your endless FPS and Driving games.

You have far from won anything.

Let's first start off with one big thing.

LITTLEBIGPLANET>. You have that game plastered all over your name and guess what? It's a "stupid little mini arcade game". I guess you never took Irony 101.

If there wasn't a market for arcade games, there wouldn't be so many of them. No one really expected these games to take off, but face it, many of them are far from being little arcade games. I can give some really good examples, but since they aren't on the Playstation platform, you will obviously hate them.

The argument about the chatpad is how Microsoft makes one set of standards with their console while the Playstation brand has no clue what they are doing. Remember the boomerang? Then no rumble? No they are bringing it back. They have no sense of standards while everything Microsoft has brought to the table is developed with utmost care. Which is what I was referring to as "seamless."

The irony about those 5-6 games, is half of them are already multi-platform and while I know 1-2 won't be, you are going to get a far better experience on the xbox 360. It's not the fact that I like the 360 more, it's just it actually has a better online system/functionality. I was a Nintendo fan before I ever liked Sony or Microsoft and I remember when I laughed at the 360 when it first came out. However, once I played one I quickly changed my mind and the system always impressed me. The first time I booted up my PS3 I was impressed with some of the features, but it quickly dwindled away when there are absolutely no games to play. I can start talking about why developers choose not to release demos, but what's the point? You know absolutely nothing about the xbox 360 and every single point you have tried making shows you don't know anything about the console.

I'm not asking you to "jizz" over the 360, but I'd wish people like you would actually look at your expensive console and DEMAND more. You're content with the system because it's the only system you have, but if you had the "demonbox" you would want a far better experience. It's really as simple as that.

And once more...LittleBigPlanet is an arcade game.> The only reason it's even being made is because of how well Microsoft has done in the arcade gaming.

Funnily enough i do have an Xbox 360, nice of you to make assumptions though.

No matter how many times you say LBP is an arcade game doesnt change the fact that i dont buy an expensive console to play crappy little games, i didnt buy my PS3 JUST for LBP smartass.

Of course they don't! That's exactly why microsoft released a Core edition and now expanding it with the newer sku Arcade :rolleyes: I think what you meant to say is "I don't buy a console to play crappy little minigames". Good for you, others do, and some others buy them along the way with retail games.

Prove it, just because YOU would play the hell out of it doesnt mean other people will, all the 360 has are driving games and shooting games.

You really are just scraping the barrel here for things to argue about. What exactly has the PS3 offered up until now? Oh hey Resistance and Motorstorm both launch titles! Hey aren't those games driving and shooting :o

Whats the point of arcade games, i didnt buy my ?350 console to play stupid little minigames.

Yes we know you hate arcade, good for you. Fact is 360 Arcade has been a massive success, tonnes of developers have signed up and continued to do so because it's a great platform and market to work on. Most importantly, gamers love it. Not all of them, but a hell of a lot do.

WOW chatpad, i must go and buy one RIGHT AWAY!!!!!!!!!! I buy games to play them, not so i can sit and chat to my friends, i use the phone for that.

Fair enough, you don't like the chat pad, don't buy or use it then. Other people like to use their 360 to communicate with friends and family. It's a cheap alternative to phoning across long distances. I can sign up for ?30 a year and spend as long as I want talking to somebody in USA.

Whats with the arcade game fetish, we get it you like crappy little minigames. Of course the 360 will have more games its had a years headstart, sick of 360 fans saying "but the 360 has more" OF COURSE IT HAS.

When are you going to give up on that pitiful excuse more like. The PS3 is just shy of being out a year and has barely grown at all in it's offerings to the PSN. In the same time frame the 360 had released a demo for almost all it's games bar some, I don't know the exact numbers but a lot of arcade games, and was already in the process for launching Movie marketplace. Sony owns a record label and movie studio and they've not even shown an interest so far in the area. The 360 has been out a year longer yes, but the PS3 is now in the same time position as 360 a year ago and nowhere near the same level.

Key word. "Apparently". Every peice of hardware has a failure rate especially something so complex but there are VERY few cases of PS3s failing, how many RROD problems have there been, how many people are on their 4th and 5th console.

Yes nobody has said the RROD isn't a huge problem for 360 owners or potential buyers. The fact is the matter has been solved since July, and those who bought the older models with defects still in them, are covered for 3 years. I suppose Sony placed "DVD drive failure" in the PS2 spec sheets? Of course they f***ing didn't, and they still haven't solved it after 7 years.

You sound like a religious preacher, we get it you think the 360 is the dogs bollocks and the PS3 is crap, stop trying to belittle everyone who doesnt automatically jizz over the 360.

And you used to be a down to earth unbiased member of the gamer's hangout, and look how that turned out. You really have fell hard for the PS3 hype recently since you bought your console. But honestly, all it is is hype and many of us who own both the 360 and PS3 know it from our own experience.

I have been reading arguements between the xbox 360 people and the ps3 people and I cannot draw any conclusions.

I happen to have a 360 that me and my cousin bought together. I bought it instead of a ps3 because I expected the ps3 to have a price cut, there are more games at the moment, I can sell it or give to to a family member in the future, and I was convinced by the many 360 fans over here at neowin, that the 360 indeed has the better graphics.

But since I have got it I have been rather disappointed with the quality of the system. A controller that came with it, in the box, out of the box has a buttun on the directional pad or is it depad?....(the one we don't use often, not the joystick) that needs to be pushed hard in order for it to work unlike the other directions. Now this is a tiny fault and on a button that is unimportant but still it was annoying that it wasn't 100% out of the box. Also the 360 itself just seems plasticy. I'm not that impressed by the games but that could just be me and maybe I haven't played enough of them. I also find the xbox 360 to be very expensive. I would love for it to have wifi but i'm not paying 100 frekin dollars for it to be attached to the outside of the box.

On the other hand I would love for the ps3 to be better. Its better looking, the games on it are more interesting to me(although the reality may be different), I prefer its features and I just am overall more attracted to it. However if I want to know for sure that is at the very least "capable" of the same graphics performance as the 360 or much more preferably better. I don't care how hard it is to program for. I just want what has the best potential.

Basically I want a ps3 but I don't feel comfortable getting one yet because I don't think its been determined if it can match the xbox 360 in grahpics. Maybe it is better but I really don't understand this stuff.

Now I should mention i had the original xbox and I honestly was more impressed by that. Just seemed like a quality product(although I could be complety wrong) and I liked how it was the underdog at the time. But now microsoft is just not impressing me. And I love sonys designs and innovative although risky endeavors.

I am planning on selling the 360. But if any of you can convince me to stay with it or to get the ps3 I am open but i need facts. I understand most of you don't really care what I do, makes no difference to you but it would be interesting still to find out your opinions on what i should do backed up with hard facts.

Keep in mind I really just care about graphics and hardware capability.

For the sake of this arguement, lest leave out the games, reliability, noise.

And also I don't care how hard it is to program for, I'm only planning on playing a few games and my guess is there will be a few games where the developers will do properly dispite it being "hard"

I know the difficuluty of programming and porting is important to the end result esp. for 3rd party games but thats not whats bothering me right now.

Which has better potential...........?

P.S: My plan at the moment is to wait and see how games turn out on the ps3 and if they add things like a marketplace for movies and such. In other words I am in no rush.

Edited by dsts6