The RSS tab isn't a new feature, it's the same old feature re-implemnted in an awkward way.

I *still* can't find how to configure RSS torrents in uTorrent 1.8... anyone else know how?

Check out Deluge, it's got more features (almost as much as uTorrent) + plugin support + lite + open source.

I don't see open source as being a good thing these days with downloading programs like torrents.

I don't see open source as being a good thing these days with downloading programs like torrents.

If I'm understanding you right, you're worried about the encryption schemes used by torrent programs being made public, and stuff like having ISPs and RIAA knowing how it works.

But that's nonsense. Security via obscurity isn't security at all.

The best encryption in use today (PGP/GPG) is open-source - and it has yet to be cracked (conspiracy theories aside, please) in almost two decades.

It doesn't really matter any way: uTorrent is using the Azureus encryption scheme (RC4), and that's open source.

Having on open-source torrent client only means that it's easier to make it do what you want, bugs get fixed faster, and you know it isn't phoning home :)

Changes in ?Torrent Version 1.8 alpha (build 6171) 2007-11-15:

- Change: Adding trackers via RSS autodownload does not override original label

- Change: Help option in Help menu now downloads and displays utorrent .chm manual instead of launching online FAQ

- Fix: extremely rare and extremely old crash bug with timing out disk jobs

Agreed. A new gui would be a breath of fresh air! and they NEED PLUGIN SUPPORT!

suuure. Like Firefox. And make this app like az but in c++. Again like firefox. And what you want, play UT3 in a uT window?. Probably they go in that direction. A sort of Ares. :p

I agree with Slimy. Needs no more than the actual UI. Just protocol improvement.

Many ppl still using 1.6.1 for obvious reasons and I doubt they move to something new. At least if there is a new implementation in the protocol. And if there is one, that ppl will move to az. To me this client ends/dies in that version.

Hope they refreshed the UI

Um, it's a BT client. The UI is more than enough already. What, do you want a little character to spin around on the UI when the torrent is done? Come on, dude. The point is NOT to make this client as resource-hungry as Azureus. Under the hood is where it's at.

Um, it's a BT client. The UI is more than enough already. What, do you want a little character to spin around on the UI when the torrent is done? Come on, dude. The point is NOT to make this client as resource-hungry as Azureus. Under the hood is where it's at.

Ok, I am tired of all the "gui change? what a stupid idea" posts so here is what I really meant. First, What I was really refering to was the need to have addons. for example, a addon-able built in Peerguardian would be nice. so I dont have to have the dang PG icon aways running. and things like advanced stats would be really nice for a geeks like me.

Now, on the GUI. When I said gui, I guess I should of been WAY more specific. :argh: all I really meant was the lack of one in the advanced section of the preferences menu. It's all values like the registry or the firefox's about:config section. I can figure it out fine but I have had a few n00bs pm me asking what they should do with it. I tell them to leave it alone, but if they knew what they were doing there they could get better performance tweaking it.

that's all I meant by gui.

SS

LOL you liar.

Agreed. A new gui would be a breath of fresh air!

This is what you said, right?

Sure sounds like you're talking about an old GUI that needs to be revamped into something new and fresh. Also I'd love to believe that you only meant the advanced preference menu should be changed but if you really meant as such, you would have called it an advanced preference menu, not a GUI. Also, where have you ever seen an advanced preference menu have a slick interface? It's just there to tweak stuff that like 10% of a program's userbase knows how to manipulate.

Just admit you originally meant you wanted uTorrent to have a new fresh look...

Ok, I am tired of all the "gui change? what a stupid idea" posts so here is what I really meant. First, What I was really refering to was the need to have addons. for example, a addon-able built in Peerguardian would be nice. so I dont have to have the dang PG icon aways running. and things like advanced stats would be really nice for a geeks like me.

Now, on the GUI. When I said gui, I guess I should of been WAY more specific. :argh: all I really meant was the lack of one in the advanced section of the preferences menu. It's all values like the registry or the firefox's about:config section. I can figure it out fine but I have had a few n00bs pm me asking what they should do with it. I tell them to leave it alone, but if they knew what they were doing there they could get better performance tweaking it.

that's all I meant by gui.

SS

ipfilter.dat

That's damned whiny anyway, just tell Windows to hide the icon in your tray. Advanced stats? Run a network monitor.

ipfilter.dat

That's damned whiny anyway, just tell Windows to hide the icon in your tray. Advanced stats? Run a network monitor.

Sorry, does ipfinter.dat auto update like pg? I already knew about it. it does not auto update. sorry to dissapoint

I know about the hiding. another reason to have it built in would be resources. I believe that ut could intergrade it. removing the need for a independant gui and a update service running and so on making it use less recources.

I do run a network monitor. NeetMeter. I love it. but again. more services and another independant gui to run. more resources used then could be (IMO)

And to Gaius

The breath of fresh air would be from not having to deal with the super-n00b-pc-tech-wannabee's who want me to explain what the advaced section does. Believe what ever you want though My feeling are not hurt either way. also JFYI, I am the guy who uses the 2000 classic theme in xp. and use windowsblinds on vista to make it look like 2000, no wallpaper either. ask all my friends or check my dA :p. New fresh looks are only cool in icons for my object dock which are abundant @ deviantart. ;)

Sorry, does ipfinter.dat auto update like pg? I already knew about it. it does not auto update. sorry to dissapoint

I know about the hiding. another reason to have it built in would be resources. I believe that ut could intergrade it. removing the need for a independant gui and a update service running and so on making it use less recources.

I do run a network monitor. NeetMeter. I love it. but again. more services and another independant gui to run. more resources used then could be (IMO)

Then you clearly haven't looked into it enough ?Torrent Update Blocklist v1.0. It's not an auto-updater but you can schedule Windows to run it once a week (that's how often the site the updater gets the list from updates.) The resources PG consumes are minimal and it's a better solution as it blocks all traffic and not just that communicating with ?Torrent. If you have so much conviction in your suggestions then pass them over at the forums to watch them get delegated to bloat, which they are. It could be implemented via an extensions system but that is highly unlikely.

Edited by Toology

Then you clearly haven't looked into it enough ?Torrent Update Blocklist v1.0. It's not an auto-updater but you can schedule Windows to run it once a week (that's how often the site the updater gets the list from updates.) The resources PG consumes are minimal and it's a better solution as it blocks all traffic and not just that communicating with ?Torrent. If you have so much conviction in your suggestions then pass them over at the forums to watch them get delegated to bloat, which they are. It could be implemented via an extensions system but that is highly unlikely.

Hey, I am just posting opinions and ideas.

utorrent seems to eat all my bandwidth, even though I have it on "normal". If something is downloading, even slowly, I cant even get to google with IE or Firefox. Anyone else experience that?