PS3 Dualshock 3 controller featuring Xbox thumbsticks!

Hellbelly of the MaxConsole Forums has posted up a rather neat modification to a Dualshock 3 controller - replacement of the thumbsticks with ones from an Xbox Controller S to give better grip in comparison to the original DS 3 thumbsticks. He claims that the mod is nice and easy, of which you can read about in full here.

Source: http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=23059

01.jpg

&

03.jpg

=

22.jpg

That is awful - I hate that small dip in the middle :no:

Found this in a comment on Joystiq - for you drunknmunkey :p

One more point... I understand if people prefer one position over another, but people claiming it doesn't work as well are just full of ****. Here's why...

Unless you're playing Southpaw, your aiming (where precision is most important) is done on the right analog stick. And what position is the right analog stick in? Yup, it's in the same damn position (just mirrored) as the left analog stick on the PS3. And apparently most people have no issues using the right analog stick. And, get this, your left hand and right hand are mirrors of each other! Wonder of wonders! So why is it that what works perfectly fine for your right hand magically won't work for your left? People that claim the PS3 configuration doesn't work as well are full of ****. Plain and simple. Again, I'm not saying you can't have a preference, but there is NO disadvantage to using the PS3's arrangement.

SOURCE

I agree with that quote. It feels natural to have a symmetrical controller so both my hands are in the same position. Having one thumb higher up than the other feels really strange.

That is awful - I hate that small dip in the middle :no:

Found this in a comment on Joystiq - for you drunknmunkey :p

SOURCE

BS :) Not much more to say on it, and I think plenty would back me up. Oh, except PS3 owners of course..:pinch:

BS :) Not much more to say on it, and I think plenty would back me up. Oh, except PS3 owners of course..:pinch:

I have no problem/issues/whatever using the DS compared to the X360 - position means nothing..

I have no problem/issues/whatever using the DS compared to the X360 - position means nothing..

Of course it does :rofl:

Anybody know how are they coming along with those 'stupid post blockers', my god.

I think we've had this discussion before but here goes - if you want the left analog stick 'up there' - why wouldnt you want the left analog placed 'up there' too? :huh:

I've never had a problem with the Playstation controllers. I had to get used to the Xbox having only the one analogue stick but that came quickly enough. However, I never felt the PS ones had lacking grip. My thumbs never slid off or anything. It really isn't a big deal to me.

BS :) Not much more to say on it, and I think plenty would back me up. Oh, except PS3 owners of course.. :pinch:

I'm a PS3 owner and I'll back you up.

I find the XBox and 360 controller layouts to feel much more natural.

I can't count the number of hours spent on Return to Castle Wolfenstein on both consoles and I ended up just selling my PS2 copy since I could handle the controls much faster on the XBox.

I've never had a problem with the Playstation controllers. I had to get used to the Xbox having only the one analogue stick but that came quickly enough. However, I never felt the PS ones had lacking grip. My thumbs never slid off or anything. It really isn't a big deal to me.

Kreuger, the Xbox & 360 controllers both have two analogue sticks :/

two left sticks :blink: :laugh:

You're trying to confuse me now aren't you lol

No, 'up there' as in, the right analog stick switched with the XYBA buttons

and left analog stick which is already 'up there' to to the left :p

it's funny how you guys are bickering over the controller issue...you're both so stubborn when it comes to your opinions. :laugh:

both controllers work and are usable. it's all about personal preference and whatever feels good to the user. some people like the 360 controller, some people like the dualshock layout. just because someone doesn't like the controller that you like doesn't mean that you're right and they're wrong. just live with it. ;)

it's funny how you guys are bickering over the controller issue...you're both so stubborn when it comes to your opinions. :laugh:

both controllers work and are usable. it's all about personal preference and whatever feels good to the user. some people like the 360 controller, some people like the dualshock layout. just because someone doesn't like the controller that you like doesn't mean that you're right and they're wrong. just live with it. ;)

I like both - he dislikes the DS :p

Like the comment on the Joystiq - I see no disadvantage to the left analog stick being placed where it is..

Are you thinking of the Dreamcast? Anyway, i've never had a 360 but i got the pc controller and love it now that it's had a few driver updates and more games support it. I dont mind my ps3 controller at all, but the 360 beats it hands down.

the dc controller sucked btw!

So if it makes no difference where the sticks are positioned, they could be under the controller, or both further down the controller on the front side? And you'd be fine with that huh?

Please, the position is very important. Just like a car and what side the driver is seated. It makes a huge difference. The car drives the same, and the techniques are the same, but you've switched hands and ultimately you need to drive differently. I could absolutely pwn somebody with the 360 controller on Call of Duty say, but playing the same person on the PS3 and I would be average. Infact some games are so bad I have to use the d-pad which is even worse for FPS :pinch:

You know what I meant regarding the position of the analog sticks - dont be an ass

The car, all it takes is practice - you have to get used to it first?

And what games can you map the 'look-around' controlls to the d-pad, please tell me

Well, obviously you will suck at COD with your DS controller when you keep bashing the PS3 and buying new multiplatform games for the X360 (even those that dont suck)

ever heard the quote "A bad carpenter blames his tools"?? :p

this is a typical example.. i play on both the PS(2 & 3) as well as the XBOX (xbox & 360) and i don't have any problem what-so-ever.. it's just a matter of adapting and getting used to the gamepad... once that's done you won't feel any difference in the position of the joysticks!! :busted: :cool:

You know what I meant regarding the position of the analog sticks - dont be an ass

The car, all it takes is practice - you have to get used to it first?

And what games can you map the 'look-around' controlls to the d-pad, please tell me

Well, obviously you will suck at COD with your DS controller when you keep bashing the PS3 and buying new multiplatform games for the X360 (even those that dont suck)

No I really don't know what you mean. You said position doesn;t matter when it actually does. If Nintendo had chose to move the ananlogue stick of the N64 controller, where the d-pad was, it would have been terrible for games like 007 etc. It made perfect sense to be in the middle, with the Z button underneath for firing.

I never said I mapped "look-around" controls to the left stick. I can't think of any recent FPS which I've used the controls like that for, but even games like GTA etc I would rather use the d-pad than have my thumbs in the middle.

My "bashing" has nothing to do with sucking :laugh: I used to be a Sony fanboy back in the day and even then I hated the layout of the sticks. And I'm not going to get into a discussion about what platform I buy my games for :sleep2: I can tell you now the controller is the last thing on the list which makes the decision ;)