Windows Only on MacBook Pro?

how come ya did not just buy a cheaper PC based laptop with windows XP on it or somthing

My needs are portability. I didn't want anything larger than a 13" screen. The new Macbooks are perfect for my needs and are actually cheaper than comparable Sony Vaios, Dell XPS or Lenovo Thinkpads with 2.2 Ghz C2D. I also went in with an open mind thinking I would try Leopard and well it's not for me. Many of the things I pointed out in my first reply (mouse, dock, etc) are a sore point for power Mac users too. Back to XP for me. I'm impressed with the Macbook. I opted for the 2.2 instead of the 2.0Ghz. The 2.0 is a better deal at $1100. I'm recommending Macbook with XP to all my colleagues who want a well made, nicely integrated portable laptop. The lack of Home, Delete and End is a problem for me but nothing Autohotkey can't remap.

If you ask me would I buy a Macbook Pro, probably not. There are much better deals in terms of cost and performance on the PC side once you start to go into 15" and 17" LCD. I don't need a desktop replacement. My overclocked quad core desktop will beat the pants of any Macbook Pro or MacPro (even dual quad core one using normal apps).

I ran my standard benchmark tools for overclocking.

SuperPi (1M Digits):

23.891s on Macbook

15.387s on Quad@3.4

Everest reports the CPU at 51C idle usage on Macbook. That's HOT! At idle my quad is at 38C. My overclocked quad gets to 55C after 24hour full load on all cores. I can only imagine what the Macbook temps would be at full load.

The HDD is at 36C which is about the temps of my 3.5 drives in my desktop.

Overall, I'm pleased with the performance of the Macbook. It is small, thin and quiet. Would I recommend XP only like I did? Heck yeah, if Leopard isn't for you. Vista could work too but I personally don't like Vista. It you can live with Leopard then use Fusion. There is a slight performance hit using Fusion but to most users it would not be noticeable.

People who run Windows on a Mac should be crucified. I laughed my arse off when I heard one of the patches bricked the Windows installs.

Sweet.

I can do whatever I want with my laptop.

100% Correct

I did that exact thing while I had an imac, I couldn't get on with OS X no matter how much I tried.

+1 no matter how much I try to use OSX it just doesn't feel right... Windows is so much user friendlier. I just feel myself an idiot in OSX!

That's why I use windows 99% of the time, and only keep OSX for firmware update purposes on my macbook.

People who run Windows on a Mac should be crucified. I laughed my arse off when I heard one of the patches bricked the Windows installs.

Sweet.

Disturbing how many of your ilk seem to advocate violence over a simple tech preference. I just hope you're not serious.

Why buy a Mac just to have a Windows-only machine? It doesn't make any sense? You buy a Mac to get AWAY from Windows.

Sweet.

And people who spout garbage like this shouldn't be on the Internet.

• 3 months later...

I'm contemplating switching back to windows on my macbook. As much as leopard is fun, I just felt more organized when I was using XP. The app integration in os x is nice, better than most, but I just feel more productive getting things done on windows.

Edited by EXO242

Windows Vista SP1 will support EFI, that's 32bit and 64bit.

Only the 64 bit version of Vista SP1 will have native EFI support.

People who run Windows on a Mac should be crucified.

Yeah I mean if you are running the better operating system anyway why not get the exact same hardware without the Apple logo and save a good chunk of cash?

Im running Windows Vista Ultimate with Service Pack 1 on my MacBook Pro. I deleted all the partitions and made a single Master Boot partiition. Formatted it as free space and installed my Vista SP1 DVD.

Windows Vista runs amazingly fast on this setup. Far better than Mac OS X in performance.

this thread is the stupidest thing I have read in a while. not talking about the OP's initial question just 90% of the rest of it.

I would have to agree on this. The sheer idiocy of some fanboy comments shows a complete lack of brainpower.