PS3 2.10 Tomorrow

ps3 seems to be doing a little 'overscan' on my divx files, bit annoying.

its a hdtv thru hdmi btw, tried various zoom settings.

Same for me. As it turns out, my tv doesn't do 1:1 pixel mapping on HDMI/Component. It does it on VGA and it gets on my nerves.

If you have overscan in your divx files you probably have it in everything else. Some games (calling all cars.. I guess) let you 'resize' the pic (make it smaller) so that it fits your screen.

IMO, the PS3 should do this :-( The overscan on my TV is noticeable enough to shove the whole tv set on LG's a**!

I don't remember having overscan on the DVD upscaler I had hooked up through hdmi before I bought my ps3. Weird.

Same for me. As it turns out, my tv doesn't do 1:1 pixel mapping on HDMI/Component. It does it on VGA and it gets on my nerves.

If you have overscan in your divx files you probably have it in everything else. Some games (calling all cars.. I guess) let you 'resize' the pic (make it smaller) so that it fits your screen.

IMO, the PS3 should do this :-( The overscan on my TV is noticeable enough to shove the whole tv set on LG's a**!

I don't remember having overscan on the DVD upscaler I had hooked up through hdmi before I bought my ps3. Weird.

all other media content is fine, even stuff I encode for psp that I play on ps3, seems to be something to do with how the ps3 handles the sometimes odd resolutions of certain content.

Do you have a G or B network? Router? PC specifications? One of these could be the cause. No stuttering here with my wireless G network and Duo notebook.

G network. I don't see what the PC specs would have anything to do with it though. All it's doing is sending the file over the network.

Now my next question, I have this divx split into two files. The first part plays fine, but the second file does not! The PS3 just shows a black screen. No errors but a black screen!! How is this possible? :/ More importantly how do I get the second part to play?!?!

May sound like a dumb question but under the BD/DVD Settings, was there the BD/DVD Dynamic Range Control before 2.10. I fergot whether I used it or not. But on the update it sets it to automatic.

Disabled Transcoding and set connection to Wired in TVersity and all my files play now :D

Only things I have noticed it that it take up to 30 seconds for the file to start playing and fast fowarding fails to work on 10x (Will word on 1.5x and sounds really funny). Currently connected to a gigabit switch and using dual 3.2GHZ Xeons so I don't know what else to try to correct fast fowarding or opening file times....

Disabled Transcoding and set connection to Wired in TVersity and all my files play now :D

Only things I have noticed it that it take up to 30 seconds for the file to start playing and fast fowarding fails to work on 10x (Will word on 1.5x and sounds really funny). Currently connected to a gigabit switch and using dual 3.2GHZ Xeons so I don't know what else to try to correct fast fowarding or opening file times....

Strange :/

I have a 54mbps wireless adapter on my pc, which connects to a netgear wireless router, then to my PS3 which is on wireless.

So it's wireless to wireless and movies/tv shows start within <5secs and 30x ff works fine!

Core2Duo 6600 here clocked at 3Ghz.

Strange :/

I have a 54mbps wireless adapter on my pc, which connects to a netgear wireless router, then to my PS3 which is on wireless.

So it's wireless to wireless and movies/tv shows start within <5secs and 30x ff works fine!

Core2Duo 6600 here clocked at 3Ghz.

I assume your using TVersity? If so which version, codecs, settings etc are you using?

I assume your using TVersity? If so which version, codecs, settings etc are you using?

Latest TVersity, transcoding turned off therefore codecs don't matter.

But for transcoding when I used to do it, I used the CCCP - http://www.cccp-project.net/

Are you sure you turned off transcoding? (put the setting to "never")

Some of your symptoms sound like those you would get if you transcode - eg waiting upwards of 30 seconds, as the file is being transcoded on your pc on the fly, then sent over the network.

When you don't transcode the file doesn't need to be converted and just gets sent straight over the network.

Fast forwarding/rewinding was also very buggy with transcoding - sometimes not working at all.

So I'd say, make sure transcoding is OFF (set to never), and that you close TVersity, load it again, and then refresh your media library.

What are you sending over the network anyway? SD video files or HD video files?

I just tried Superbad 720p (used GOTSent to convert mkv to mp4) and it's VERY jerky - I have a wireless network though. If I pause it and leave it for 1~2 mins, and then hit play, it runs smooth as silk for about 10-15sec then gets jerky again.

I'm not pausing my movies and waiting 30mins before I watch :laugh: - So I think i'll be copying my HD stuff to my PS3 hard drive instead of trying to stream it ;)

DivX/Xvid is perfect for me though when streaming... obviously due to the <700mb size. Superbad is 4GB.

edit: Woot! :woot: :woot:

I'm super happy now. Plugged my Mybook into my PS3 and Superbad works fine! Copied it over to internal PS3 drive (a 720p movie is <=4GB so it fits on a fat32 external drive - PS3 only reads fat32 externals).

Now I have a solution for all my SD videos AND HD videos.

I knew about programs like gotsent, but I never tried them or knew they would be as easy to use.

Fair enough it only works with 720p, and I have a 1080p set, but im sitting watching Superbad in 720p and it looks great! And a lot of people only have 720p sets anyway.

I now say theres no need for people to moan as heavily about mkv support, when the solution is this easy and simple :yes:

I'm now away to buy the biggest internal drive I can for my PS3 (think its 300/350GB), and I'm going to load her up with SD/HD tv & movie rips :rofl:

Edited by Audioboxer

I can't edit my last post :pinch:

But here's some screen shots (warning crappy 2mp camera phone inbound :p)

A lot of you will know this works already... but some screenshots from me don't hurt heh.

It took about 5 mins to change the container of the movie on my PC! (changing the container = NO transcoding, which = NO loss in quality (Y))

DSC00050.jpg

DSC00051.jpg

DSC00052.jpg

This is playing from the PS3 hard drive - You can see my Media Server/Portable hard drive above in the menu though.

Also, no need for me to take part in this Blu Ray/HD-DVD war... I can play them all now, muahahaha! :devil:

Edited by Audioboxer

anyone got any good media server software to stream divX thru it from my PC?

I heard that TVesirty is good but can't get it to work.

anyone got any good media server software to stream divX thru it from my PC?

I heard that TVesirty is good but can't get it to work.

What errors do you get?

Tversity is the best choice.

What errors do you get?

no errors its not picking anythign up having problems thru the tutorial.

This thread seems to be more lively, so here I go again;

Some of my earlier anime files don't seem to work. I believe it's an issue with the audio though... haven't tried others. Can someone see if AAC audio is supported in divx/xvid files?

Apart from that, most of my stuff works and I can also confirm that GOTsent by Sentry23 (link a couple of posts up) is working fine - have been using it since the guy made 0.17 and he's currently doing an 0.23 fix to quickly split divx files >2GB then he'll advance to 0.24 which should make more files compatible (some files 'obtained' from the internet won't play - [cough]DiMENSiON[/cough]) some of the headers of the files are seriously different from anything the PS3 reads, so he's trying to rewrite those entirely, everytime

oh and Audioboxer: I've got about 40 gigs of HD material on my PS3 with them nice previews ;) mostly done using GOTsent, I can really recommend it :D

What errors do you get?

any chance u can add me to msn and help me thru it?

Hey AudioBoxer,

are you ripping HD DVD/BD to your PC HDD then just converting them into MP4? How do you convert them into MP4?

Then I'm assuming you put them on your external HDD and plug into the PS3?

Hey AudioBoxer,

are you ripping HD DVD/BD to your PC HDD then just converting them into MP4? How do you convert them into MP4?

Then I'm assuming you put them on your external HDD and plug into the PS3?

Yup, im "ripping" them to 720p (1080p won't work) .mkv files first (Y) :p

Then I use GOTSent - http://sentry23.googlepages.com/ to change the mkv container to an MP4 container - Usually takes about 5-10mins. MKV is just a container, inside of it is usually MPEG4 video/AC3 audio which the PS3 can play fine with it's own codecs - It just can't recognize MKV, and that's why we rebundle the contents of the mkv file into an MP4 container instead. There is NO quality loss in doing this.

After that I copy the MP4 file to my external FAT32 hard drive, lug it downstairs, plug it into the PS3 and then either play off the drive or do what I do most often, copy to the PS3's hard drive (push triangle, then copy).

You could attempt to stream the mp4 file, but it doesn't work well/at all over a wireless connection. TVersity can also copy the file from your PC to your PS3 hard drive over the network, but again, if you do that over wireless it takes a lot longer to copy from PC hard drive, to PS3 hard drive.

does anyone have a direct download link to this... some people (probably only me) can't update from the console itself and I can't seem to find any download like on the sony site :s

Thanks houlty

I'd be careful with the update you download from there. Notice it's from the UK site and not the US site.

Edit: Added download link:

Since Sony changed the layout of the page, they hid the direct download link in the Update using a PC section. Link

U.S. 2.10 Update

Edited by kurono