[Football] Winter Transfer Thread 2008

Baros is back in the Prem. I always loved his service to the Reds, and hopefully he can get his act together with Pompey.

what did baros actually do for the reds? other then say i am leaving before the champions league game? Selfish ******... way to take attention away from your team before the biggest game of the year...

Seems a pretty slow transfer window this time round. There hasn't been much news today either considering it is deadline day!

Bejani to Man City. Please do not go. It would be said. Sure he is 29 and may have scored some this season, but you never know if he will score that many again. He can miss some siters. Also can he carry on doing the running? Eitherway, I don't want him to go.

Bejani to Man City. Please do not go. It would be said. Sure he is 29 and may have scored some this season, but you never know if he will score that many again. He can miss some siters. Also can he carry on doing the running? Eitherway, I don't want him to go.

I just read that :s

Rich - I heard Roma have invaded the transfer.

1540: WORK PERMIT LATEST

A member of staff at Middlesbrough confirms to the BBC that Brazilian Afonso Alves has been granted a work permit - however, there are still details to be worked through before his deal from Dutch side Heerenveen is completed.

They have still 7 hours to complete the transfer, hell of a job if you ask me. But I think he go to Middlesbrough..

Yeah I think he will go there as well.

Well I think Pompey will launch a bid for Defoe before the close if Benjani goes!

I called it!

1621: Now this is news (sorry Fletch). Tottenham and Portsmouth have reportedly agreed a fee for England striker Jermain Defoe. What sort of chain is that going to set off I wonder...

Edited by Rappy

1853: "Bizarre one, but apparently my sources in Argentina tell me Javier Saviola will be loaned to Spurs if Defoe goes."

Morris in London, via text

1922: A Liverpool spokesman has told BBC Sport he has heard nothing about Javier Mascherano's supposed permanent transfer to the Anfield club. Now that's not to say it won't happen, but let's maybe hold fire on it for a sec.

I can see this going through and being the only saviour for the Hicks/Gillet thing if they actually get him in on a perm.

Yeah, I wonder what player is stoping the deal.

We're all guessing we will get Defoe but only if Benjani goes, which means we got a little pot + Benjani money to buy Defoe.

We need to buy him now otherwise he becomes a free agent at the end of the season, so anybody can snap him up.

1922: A Liverpool spokesman has told BBC Sport he has heard nothing about Javier Mascherano's supposed permanent transfer to the Anfield club. Now that's not to say it won't happen, but let's maybe hold fire on it for a sec.

I can see this going through and being the only saviour for the Hicks/Gillet thing if they actually get him in on a perm.

i thought a loan signing can be made permanent at any time? so they still have plenty of time to get the money out for him

dev - According to the LFC site its not finalized so I suppose they might wait but isn't the loan nearly over anyway and he wouldn't be able to move out the window for a fee it would have to be held till July.

2326: BREAKING NEWS - MIDDLESBROUGH in/HEERENVEEN out

Boro finally get their man as they complete the signing of Heerenveen's Brazilian striker Afonso Alves. They say it breaks their transfer record, but they won't officially say what it is. BBC Sport understands it is in the region of ?12m. Now that is a proper fee for deadline day. Bullseye.

Portsmouth have signed striker Jermain Defoe from Tottenham.

The deal was believed to be dependent on the transfer of forward Benjani from Pompey to Manchester City.

Defoe, 25, had failed to hold down a regular first-team place at White Hart Lane and was told he was free to leave the club by manager Juande Ramos.

Forwards Robbie Keane and Dimitar Berbatov were often preferred in attack, while Defoe was limited to appearances from the bench.

No word tho on the Benjani deal.

Manchester City have confirmed that they failed with their bid to sign Portsmouth striker Benjani on transfer deadline day.

City had a bid accepted by Pompey for the Zimbabwean hit-man early on Thursday.

A work-permit was also obtained by City as they looked on course to complete a deal which was reportedly worth around ?9million.

However, the deal was delayed and Benjani did not arrive at City's Carrington training headquarters until an hour before the deadline.

Benjani and Defoe best of both worlds:DD

dev - According to the LFC site its not finalized so I suppose they might wait but isn't the loan nearly over anyway and he wouldn't be able to move out the window for a fee it would have to be held till July.

afaik it runs out in the summer. from what i understand, liverpool can still make the loan permanent outside the window (as it isn't a new registration). either liverpool pay up or he walks from liverpool

Dunno how reputable Goal.com is but...

The player's loan spell at Anfield ends in five months, and the midfielder was keen to secure his future, and growing increasingly restless.

It was reported earlier today that Joorabchain was meeting with Rick Parry and Co. in order to make the move permanent, and that Liverpool would use the money from the Momo Sissoko deal to fund part of his transfer fee - 25 million euros.

Reports from Liverpool now suggest that the agreement has now been reached, and the required payments made for Mascherano to become a Red.

The Argentine signs a four year contract at Anfield; an official confirmation is expected shortly.

The news will come as a major relief to Liverpool fans all around the world in what is a moment of uncertainty for the club.

It is also perhaps an indication that the relationship between Rafa Benitez and the club's American owners is on the mend.

It's pretty nice to think Benjani will now stay till the end of the season. I wonder why he was late getting there? Surely something like this would have been done earlier in the day. So Sky Sports are crap at getting good news sources, all day they kept claiming that he was at man city.

I doubt anything will save G&H's tenure at the club. All the continued hate that is being thrown at them will wear them down eventually. They are blinded if they think that if they give us Masch then we will love them again, and they actually do think that, Hicks referred to Masch as a "gift" to Liverpool fans last week.

Oh, and we have until the end of June to complete the transfer of Mascherano. Although, since January 1st he has been able to talk to other football clubs about a transfer. The transfer fee was agreed when the loan was agreed last season, and it is ?16 million for the actual played AND his wages on a four year contract. The end figure will be slightly higher though with all the agent fee's and royalty payments etc (?18.2 million is the figure currently being mooted).