[Football] Winter Transfer Thread 2008

It's pretty nice to think Benjani will now stay till the end of the season. I wonder why he was late getting there? Surely something like this would have been done earlier in the day. So Sky Sports are crap at getting good news sources, all day they kept claiming that he was at man city.

Yeah I kept thinking where the hell was he, I mean he couldn't of taken that long!

Portsmouth have contacted the Premier League to see whether Benjani's move to Manchester City can still go ahead.

Pompey claim they went ahead with the purchase of Jermain Defoe from Spurs after City told them they had submitted the relevant forms for Benjani.

But City say the transfer collapsed because the Zimbabwean arrived too late in Manchester to complete the deal before the midnight deadline.

The Premier League is examining the timeline of the relevant paperwork.

They will have to wait till next week.

Jeez can't the Premier League figure this out? Surely if everything is done by the book, they can go straight to the paperwork and look if it's correct. It's a joke they can get this sorted in a day, considering it's perhaps important.

So I wonder where does this leave Benjani? I presume he is stuck in no mans land.

Yeah plus if it doesn't go through Pompey are 9m out of pocket because they banked on Benjani leaving to fund the Defoe move.

I'm sure Pompey might be able to take a loan or something. It will be sad to see him go, but really people have pointed out his goal rate isn't that great, but is having a good season.

Benjani for all his work rate, is not the best of scorers. When he first came, he was missing sitters.

Defore scored today anyway!

Yeah I was glad he was back scoring (of course the newspapers say he scores in other ways) :D

Also while watching the highlights of the match, the movement from the front was pretty good. Defoe would run into the area while the others would slip in a pass.

Portsmouth have admitted that striker Jermain Defoe is only on loan at the Fratton Park club.

It was thought that Defoe, who scored on his debut, had signed a permanent deal from Tottenham on transfer deadline day but that is not the case.

However, Portsmouth still hope to push through the deal with the Premier League this week.

"Defoe's transfer was done as an initial loan because of time restraints," said a Pompey spokesman.

"The full documents will be signed and registered this week and this is a standard method when you have little time."

The revelation that he is, initially, only on loan is yet another twist in the saga that leaves Benjani Mwaruwari still in limbo after his move to Manchester City ran out of time on Thursday night.

This saga is nearly as good as the Tevez saga :p

Zimbabwe striker Benjani has finally joined Manchester City from Portsmouth for ?3.87m.

The striker has signed a two-and-a-half year deal with City after passing a medical on Monday.

Pompey could receive further payments if the Zimbabwe international makes up to 75 senior starts.

"I'm delighted we have signed such a quality player, and I am looking forward to working with him," said City boss Sven-Goran Eriksson.

?3.87 million? I think City got a bargain there...I thought he would of went for ?8 million at least.

Jermain Defoe has made his loan move to Portsmouth permanent and signed a four-and-a-half-year deal at Fratton Park, reports BBC Radio Solent.

The 25-year-old England striker joined Pompey on loan from Tottenham on transfer deadline day.

I'm pretty annoyed that he went for that silly bit of money, we brought him for 4.1mill.

It seems City may have wriggled out of a big payment, and gone for some clauses and such.

Whether he's 29 and not the best scorer, it seems a bloody cheap transfer for a premiership striker.