Who's choosing XP over Vista?

We heard a lot of opinions about how Vista is "failing" especially after Dells IdeaStorm got buried in requests to give an option for XP. You got to wonder how much of this was astroturfing...

One of the most accepted bits of conventional wisdom among pundits as 2007 draws to a close is that the marketplace has rejected Windows Vista in favor of Windows XP. The biggest piece of evidence is Dell?s decision in April 2007, based on a vocal response via its Dell IdeaStorm page, to continue offering Windows XP as an option on some consumer systems. It picked up steam with Microsoft?s announcement in September that it was going to allow its large OEM partners to preinstall Windows XP until June 30, 2008, a five-month extension over the original January 30 cutoff date. (A CNET News report from last April indicates that HP and Lenovo have adopted similar strategies, offering XP as an option on business-class machines but for consumer products.)

Both of those moves got a lot of press, but proof about how either decision has actually played out in the marketplace is, unfortunately, pretty thin. Microsoft doesn?t break out its mix of Windows shipments with this level of detail. OEM computer makers are tight-lipped as well. And if any third-party market research firms have done any studies on this subject, they have yet to publish the results.

But I stumbled on an unexpected source of data that has helped me get a much better picture on what the actual numbers might be like. As it turns out, Dell has published a large database of information about its current inventory for anyone to see, and I was able to sift through it to form some surprising conclusions about the current relationship between XP and Vista in the PC marketplacThe short version: Consumers have embraced Vista overwhelmingly, whereas small business is much more reluctant, preferring XP by a better than 2-to-1 margin.n.

More at source.

Additional history lesson, useful when trying to draw parallels between XP and Vista adoption in 1st year:

Windows adoption rates: a history lesson:

Obviously, this is all incomplete data and could be that Dell's numbers are skewed in the direction of Vista for some reason. But maybe not. If someone has better numbers - share them p:)ase :)

I'm back to supporting XP.

At the end of the day I believe Microsoft has been weighing in heavily on OEM's forcing Vista out on PC's and Laptop adoption rates with them would be high because there'll be something happening in the background i do believe with Microsoft and OEMs and either a financial reward or damage in support if they don't it'll be something like that.

You know, I bought Vista the first day it came out because I thought it was going to be awesome..... then it ran like CRAP at first, uninstalled, reput XP on my desktop, and haven't looked back.

Then I purchased a HP laptop around June '07. HP actually gave me the option "XP Home or Vista Home Premium"...I said "Ah, just give me Vista Home Premium", since it was the same price, at least I would have another copy...We recently installed Wireless at my company, and instead of using my office desktop, I have turned it off, and using that HP full time, and I must say, WOW, I am LOVING vista on it.. Runs like a champ.

I really think, alot of the people who didn't like it at first, (like me) is because Vista really doesn't start performing well, until after the first week or 2 of using it. Vista has to "set itself" to work for you, and in order to do that, you have to give it time to see you work and learn your patterns.

If it wasn't for the Gaming performance still being a decrease in vista over xp, I would definately upgrade my Desktop to it again.

I've been on Vista now for about 2 months. I think if I where to go back to XP I think it would feel a bit to plane Jane. There are little features here and there in vista that I really like. Vista for the most part preforms great for me. Only real problem I have is choppy audio in PCI audio cards. Integrated ones work fine. It also hasn't crashed on me. This may just be because I now am using a different system, where as my old X2 4200 system was wanky. But Vista anyway has been solid as a rock. Individuals who compare Vista to Windows ME are Idiots.

I think I'll switch to vista, when it will be adopted by the majority.

It's always more convenient to have a system that everyone use,

you can get more easily support .

This last 3 days, according to the stats of my website:

78.7% of my visitors are using XP

12.4% of my visitors are using Vista.

I 'll make the switch, when more than 50% of my visitors will be using Vista.

Having been forced to use Windows ME for nearly 2 years, I instantly fell in love with XP and still am. It does what I want, it doesn't crash for nothing, it's fast.

Each time I use Vista on some friend's laptop I am flodded with confirmation messages. "Do you really want to open this window?" Yes. "Was it you who just answered yes to the previous message?" YES! "Ok I'll open the window now..." OK!!! "Are you sure you want to display the potentially dangerous content of this Window?" AAAARRRGH!

No reason to choose an OS that is years old, extinct, and will not be updated after SP3.

No problems with vista and current hardware.

I use XP after I tried Vista for about 2 weeks. I have decent hardware but I just found that Vista didn't live up to my expectations.

What were your expectations?

well is your website named, www.windowsxplovesyou.com or something? LOL unless it's something really popular computer site (say like Neowin) then your userbase doesn't matter so much. The 78% of your users could be your normal users that keep coming back everyday for more where the rest is just vistors. I don't know what your logs look like. :)

Hmm.. i'm off on a misson.

Having been forced to use Windows ME for nearly 2 years, I instantly fell in love with XP and still am. It does what I want, it doesn't crash for nothing, it's fast.

Each time I use Vista on some friend's laptop I am flodded with confirmation messages. "Do you really want to open this window?" Yes. "Was it you who just answered yes to the previous message?" YES! "Ok I'll open the window now..." OK!!! "Are you sure you want to display the potentially dangerous content of this Window?" AAAARRRGH!

That means you are doing something wrong. I run UAC and don't see any UAC messages during my routine use.

Problem I have with vista is how poorly it runs on laptops when in battery mode. My Core 2 Duo clocks down to 800MHz with a 400MHz FSB (down from 1.6/800) and is painfully slow even with simple things (switching tabs in firefox takes a few seconds) where on XP it doesnt lag