Who's choosing XP over Vista?

'bobbytomorow'

I'm dual booting Vista Ultimate 64 and XP Pro 32. Although I rarely ever use Vista, I primarily use XP Pro probably 90% of the time.

Same here, 'cept XP Media Center and Vista Ult.(32) SP1 (beta)

Well, now I have a licence for Vista Business (with my subscription to MSNDAA). :) But I'm not any more motivated to upgrade my XP computer. XP does what I want, it does it fast, and it's stable. Maybe Vista is just as good overall, but "just as good" does not really justify the trouble of changing the OS.

When I find something that Vista could do better than XP and that I would really need that feature, then I'll upgrade.

(No, I'm not giving away my Vista licence. tsss.)

Here at university there is not a single computer on Vista yet. Although I think some will be by next year. We're mostly on XP Pro and Linux. I didn't see any Mac either.

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought a brand new laptop, made sure it had XP installed instead of Vista, even though it has the resources to run Vista, I know that for now it'll run XP even faster. I haven't had a need to updgrade yet.

have a copy of vista around, stuck with XP after playing with it for about 2 weeks ... I'll stick with XP/ubuntu until Windows 7 comes out (might even get me a macbook if I run out of patience).

i did get frusterated and go back to win xp, but the truth is xp was only "great" after it was heavily fortified with SP2 and different 3rd party apps that helped with security. i went back to xp thinking the small problems i had experienced in vista would go away, but i missed some security setting or soemthing, and xp was a nightmare in everyday tasks. i realized that although vista has its hiccups and problems, it is JUST as stable if not more than xp with just a clean install.

on a side note i went back to vista, but yesterday ordered a macbook pro just because i was sick and tired of small things becoming hassles :p

• 1 month later...

I'd go for XP over Vista anytime. I would actually make the following analogy:

Linux <=> you own your house

XP <=> you rent your house

Vista <=> you rent your house and it comes with spy cameras everywhere, and big bro has all the keys...

In other words it's a question of trust and ownership. Just got a new computer with Vista installed, and I only boot Vista when necessary (mainly to get more details on the driver installed and find XP equivalent) and usually without networking.

With vista you give much more power to M$ to update things on your system and do things you're not even aware of. I just don't trust M$ especially in a context of all the spying the US government is doing on everyone.

Below are a couple references on vista spying on you:

http://news.softpedia.com/...Harvest-User-Data...shtml

http://hacking-dharmata.blogspot.com/...spies-on-you...html

BTW, my XP installation is just secondary, I'm in the process of migrating to linux, so it's another reason that makes me prefer XP over vista, which I'll only use in the last resort.

I was impressed by Vista and found the new file dialogs to be much more intuitive and explorer much more useful. However, sadly, within hours, I started getting BSODs. They were pretty constant, and even with SP1 were still there. Back to XP now, as I can't take losing a bunch of work every couple of hours. It may have been driver issues, but I don't really have the time and patience to test drivers one by one...and after 3 months of use it was getting pretty slow and bogged down. It also had some very annoying things, like never being able to go to sleep (would instantly wake up) and would turn on at exactly 11am (nothing set to wake it up)...again back on XP it doesn't have these issues anymore. I got 2 free licenses for Vista (Ultimate, which I used and Business, which the family PC still has), but they are pretty much useless.

Why are you bringing back an old thread?

Well, tell me why I shouldn't? What's so wrong about this?

I looked in this thread and searched on the whole site for 'vista spies' 'vista spy' 'vista privacy' and did not find much on that topic.

Shall we create a new thread about 'vista spying on you'?

Vista for me. I had some issues at first. Got frustrated a month later and went to XP. Reinstalled Vista later that evening.

I looked in this thread and searched on the whole site for 'vista spies' 'vista spy' 'vista privacy' and did not find much on that topic.

Thanks for this. I wasn't feeling that well and your blatantly uninformed and misguided post got me to laugh so hard that I feel a lot better. Thanks again.

Well this thread is not about spying but raher on Vista vs XP!

Thanks for this. I wasn't feeling that well and your blatantly uninformed and misguided post got me to laugh so hard that I feel a lot better. Thanks again.

Way to go.

Instead of making an obviously new member feel welcome here, you hurl insults and ridicule.

An explanation that "starting a new thread if you feel you have new content" would have sufficed and been less rude and condescending.

The thread has been idle for less than two months, and this is the welcome a new member gets. (N)

Vista x86. I also have the x64 version, but it's a pain in the ass to get set up. I'll probably try again when SP1 is released.

had vista for 6 months then went back on xp ... vista is not for me since the hardware 9tho it can run it just fine) is not really supported and most of the drivers are broken ... the hardware works seamlessly on xp tho ... so xp for me

Way to go.

Instead of making an obviously new member feel welcome here, you hurl insults and ridicule.

An explanation that "starting a new thread if you feel you have new content" would have sufficed and been less rude and condescending.

The thread has been idle for less than two months, and this is the welcome a new member gets. (N)

I wasn't ridiculing that he revived a semi-old post, I was ridiculing the fact that for some unfounded reason, he seems to believe Vista invades one's privacy ala spyware.