Who here has a speeding ticket?

Doing just over 115mph on a motorway, saw the brow of a hill so slowed down a bit, there was a copper the other side of the hill, clocked me at 98mph.

?35 fine (I think) and 3 penalty points on my licence.

Another couple of mph's and I could of faced a 6-month ban:whistle::

That's the great thing about Illinois and in particular Chicago. The expressway and tollways might all say 55 but that turns out to be 75 and during rush hour if you have a chance 85 or so, and the cops really won't bother you unless you're swerving all over the place and changing lanes constantly.

And even if you do get pulled over, you can just plead guilty with supervision, pay the measly fine (fines in IL are only like $90 compared to Wisconsin where I'm originally from where they start at like $150 now), and as long as you don't get another moving violation for a period of usually six months the insurance company is never notified.

So 1 ticket in 5 years....

Or you could just not speed... :blink:

2 citations, 0 tickets. The way I figure it you can get caught once in each country and just plead equipment or something like that. But I just let the attorney take care of it all.

2 citations, 0 tickets. The way I figure it you can get caught once in each country and just plead equipment or something like that. But I just let the attorney take care of it all.

i thought a citation was the same as the actual ticket, just politically correct :unsure:

1. 80 in a 65 - I was the slowest of a long line of cars hauling ass moving North I-95 in Virginia. Anyone living in Northern VA/D.C. knows that everyone goes at least 80-85 on I-95. That's what I get for having a CRX and I didn't even get a warning!

2. 90 in a 55 - I was really wanting to get home to VA from TN and it wasn't even a construction zone when he clocked me. Actually the construction zone was behind the hill I was going around. Oh well, no excuse for me going 90 when the rest is 70. Haven't gotten another one since. Most likely because I stopped going so fast. I like going either the speed limit and letting everyone fly past me while I cruise carefree down the road or go 5 over.

Best part is my parents both said "that sucks, that's what you get for getting a sports car and being a young male."

100% correct.

i thought a citation was the same as the actual ticket, just politically correct :unsure:

I thought a citation was what you got at the side of the road, then in court after you make your plee you get the ticket. But I could be wrong.

plead equipment???

You don't have to prove it. Basically from my experience with traffic citations is that everyone gets their money so their not going to draw it out any longer then they have to. The court gets their money, the officer gets his money (they get payed time 1/2 for going into court). But to make sure I would invest in an attorney, just waive your right to appear in court and let him deal with things. It's well worth the money (about $100 - $200 + court costs) considering the alternative would be risking points on your license and insurance.

There is an easy way to avoid all tickets...as a rule, no matter what the speed limit is, don't drive more than 9 mph above it. I think the saying goes "9 is fine; 10 you're mine" Most cops start the tickets @ 10mph and over - think about it - you've probably never heard of someone getting a ticket for anything less than 10 or 11mph over the limit. Set your cruise to 74 for 65 or 64 for 55 on the highway and try to stay @ 44 in the city. You aren't exactly flying @ those speeds but it's safe and you are able to drive over limit w/out really worrying. Stick to these guidelines and you should be good to go.

The cop didn't even bother for a speech that teenagers usually get. He just gave me the ticket and said something like "this doesn't mean your guilty." that was it...

you shouldnt have paid for it. when cops give you these kinds of lines they are basically saying, take this to court and fight it i wont show up and it gets taken off your record..... now your insurance is going to go up blah blah. he didnt want to jack u he prolly just needed to meet his quota

The cop didn't even bother for a speech that teenagers usually get. He just gave me the ticket and said something like "this doesn't mean your guilty." that was it...

you shouldnt have paid for it. when cops give you these kinds of lines they are basically saying, take this to court and fight it i wont show up and it gets taken off your record..... now your insurance is going to go up blah blah. he didnt want to jack u he prolly just needed to meet his quota

woah i haven't paid for it yet

i'm sorry if you got the idea... i'm still waiting for my day in court!

I got a ticket driving 45MPH in 25 MPH school zone AND the cop was behind me like a min ago, didnt notice it. :angry: :devil: and students were getting off from school too. SIGH...........

I think it was back in 1997 I was caught speeding in 80km/h zone doing 100km/h. I did not notice there was police car. Suddenly there was blue and red light coming fast right behind me. I stopped my car at side of the road and he asked me to hand over my driving licence. I was booked for two offences, speeding and too close to the car infront of me. I got fined $200 and lost 3 demerit points. From that day I decided not to speed again. On the other days I also got stopped by police but they did not fine me, only to give warnings like turning on foglights considered illegal. Rules of thumb of not speeding here...as long as the driver is not exceeding the speed limit by 3km/h, they will be alright.

Sometimes I still like to speed...given that there is no suspicious looking car (sometimes police rides unmarked car). After exceeding speed limit for a period of time, I slow down to below speed limit to stay safe from getting caught. Not only police, I have to watch out for speed cameras too. On some road intersections, there are red light camera so I have to look out for it.

Getting fined sux man...they tend to exercise revenue raise :( :angry:

I got a ticket driving 45MPH in 25 MPH school zone AND the cop was behind me like a min ago, didnt notice it. :angry: :devil: and students were getting off from school too. SIGH...........

:whistle: i bet there was a pretty little number at the end of that ticket..... has anyone else noticed the dramatic increase in unmarked police cruisers. I dont know if this is only for the so cal highways but ive seen a lot of totally black or totally white cruisers over the last year and a half.

I just got one the other day (my 3rd). I got caught going 82 in a 55, on Missouri-100...this one is gonna cost me a pretty penny to keep the points off. Haven't even heard from my lawyer yet now that I think about it, I should go call him.

3 tickets in 12 years: For overtaking and two for speeding. Once I was cought speeding 190 km/h in a 110 km/h zone. I still must have that speeding ticket somewhere: It has a skeleton designed behind the steering wheel and it is titled: "SPEED KILLS".

1) in NC, around 95-96 doing 65 in a 55. Cop was nice and he graduated from my high school about 4 years before I did, but he gave me a ticket anyway. (I had a laser/radar detector on)

2) In MN, on my way to Detroit Lakes, 70 in a 55. The funny thing was is that he tagged me as he was passing me. I don't remember why I didn't see him coming. (I had a laser/radar detector on)

3) In MN, on I394, heading towards Long Lake, MN. 80 in a 65. I was passing a semi in the far left lane and he still picked me out (he ws on the right shoulder, behind a overpass (I had a laser/radar detector on)

4) 2 years later, same spot as number 3 and same speed, and in the far left lane again. And I know where they sit now, so I slow down in those areas. (I had a laser/radar detector on)