Paramount in HD DVD blow

The only plausible way for Microsoft to support Blu-Ray at this point is to include a Blu-Ray drive in the next generation Xbox -- a scenario I think we can all agree will occur. This is assuming, of course, that HD-DVD does die off.

What? Like the guy you quoted said, MS can put out a Bluray external drive as easily as they put out an HDDVD one.

-Spenser

What? Like the guy you quoted said, MS can put out a Bluray external drive as easily as they put out an HDDVD one.

-Spenser

Wouldn't that be ironic? Sony getting money in a market that they are direct competitors in.

Wouldn't that be ironic? Sony getting money in a market that they are direct competitors in.

You realize that happens all the time. In fact, they'll be doing that shortly anyways, as Sony MGM's movie lineup is coming to the XBL Marketplace.

Another example - Toshiba and Sony were working together on the Cell processor, yet they are direct competitors in the HD Format war.

Sony and MS aren't direct competitors in the HD Format war, so that's not a problem at all.

-Spenser

Have you guys heard in the beginning why Microsoft didn't want to support "Blu-Ray"? HD-DVD was going to be more supportive and compatible with Microsoft Windows. You guys know that Blu-Ray is Sony, so if you want to use a Sony Invention then you deserve all the restrictions that Sony gives...see Sony wants to have control of what the consumer can and can not do. HD-DVD would never do what Sony does to the consummer. I'm sorry for anyone that wants to support Blu-Ray.

Yes both have some sort of copy protection. And I sure that sony's will have some compatibility issues with PCs. Remember when Sony imbedded the Root-Kit into their CDs and DVDs so people could not copy anything onto their own computer (even if the content wasn't Copy-Written). Think about it. and if I'm wrong, do prove it!

Edited by jesseinsf

Nate, I work with these PR agencies in some cases.. I can read their work a mile away.. what you are seeing is BDA way of communicating with Paramount and trying to pressure them to go Blu again by increasing public pressure. This is competely often used tactic. They know it's not over, but are now doing everything possible to shake Paramount and Universal.

Indeed, but the rumours about Time Warner turned out to be true. It's not a stretch to assume that Paramount is considering its position, particularly now that things are stacking up in Blu-Ray's favour. With the momentum behind Blu-Ray Paramount might decide to jump ship, even if the escape clause costs them money in the short-term - that would be a significant blow and would come close to finishing off HD-DVD. The best the HD-DVD group could hope for then would be to heavily promote dual-format players and try convince some of the Blu-Ray studios to go neutral.

At the end of the day Blu-Ray is winning the sales race, despite HD-DVD's hardware being cheaper. Now that says a lot to me. The studios will be paying close attention and Paramount will not want to be tied to a failing format, particularly if going Blu-Ray will speed up adoption and, therefore, sales.

@jesseinsf - Blu-Ray is a joint format, of which Sony is one of the partners. Perhaps if you were to make a coherent and sensible post people would actually pay attention to what you have to say - as it is that nonsense isn't even worth responding to.

Have you guys heard in the beginning why Microsoft didn't want to support "Blu-Ray"? HD-DVD was going to be more supportive and compatible with Microsoft Windows. You guys know that Blu-Ray is Sony, so if you want to use a Sony Invention then you deserve all the restrictions that Sony gives...see Sony wants to have control of what the consumer can and can not do. HD-DVD would never do what Sony does to the consummer. I'm sorry for anyone that wants to support Blu-Ray.

:blink:

Well, that is truly one of the most un-educated, biased, opinions for basing a statement on I've ever heard. So Sony will put restrictions on it's users but Microsoft wont? Have you heard of Windows Genuine Advantage? How about what happens when you change more than five pieces of hardware in your 200/XP/Vista system...

Honestly, do reaseach before you try to start causing problems. Why does every blu-ray or HD-DVD article turn into a slagfest? I thought we were becoming more advanced and civil? C'mon now, this is good people... gooooooooooooood. Pick a side already studios so we can get on with the HD goodness. :D

Yea,h maybe 10 years in the future when they've finally gotten it right. As of now, movies & TV over IP is extremely clumsy. I'll take my DirecTV dish and DVD player over that garbage any day. Don't fool yourself, HD discs are the immediate future of media distribution.

Actually in Sweden you can get excellent IPTV service, and that's through the ex national monopoly ISP wich is arguably the devil there.

and in Norway several high speed BB ISP's have been giving damn good IPTV and even movie on demand servic for a few years as well. If the quality of the internet service is good enough, IPTV services are excellent.

yeah, just more rumours. the only way I see Paramount jumping ship is if no other major studio goes neutral in the next few months, then i'm certain Paramount and Dreamworks will decide that one format is better than two, and out goes HD DVD. if we see one of BD's major studios go neutral or HD DVD, we will be back to square 1.

Actually in Sweden you can get excellent IPTV service, and that's through the ex national monopoly ISP wich is arguably the devil there.

and in Norway several high speed BB ISP's have been giving damn good IPTV and even movie on demand servic for a few years as well. If the quality of the internet service is good enough, IPTV services are excellent.

true but there's a problem. Places like Sweden, Norway, Japan, Hong-Kong and a few others have exceptional internet speeds. Thus running IPTV is very easy. Now in most other places it isn't like that. The internet speeds of most of the world are not even close to what those guys get.

A major phone company in my city, Sasktel, launched HDTV IPTV last year here in Regina. They were the first company to do so in North America. They are a pioneer in a lot of technologies dealing with fibre optics. The truth it, IPTV here sucks, even though city only has 200k population. Their lines are outdated and cannot support the sheer bandwidth needed for IPTV service, specially HD. I pay $60/month here for 10mbit down/1mbit up.

:blink:

Well, that is truly one of the most un-educated, biased, opinions for basing a statement on I've ever heard. So Sony will put restrictions on it's users but Microsoft wont? Have you heard of Windows Genuine Advantage? How about what happens when you change more than five pieces of hardware in your 200/XP/Vista system...

Honestly, do reaseach before you try to start causing problems. Why does every blu-ray or HD-DVD article turn into a slagfest? I thought we were becoming more advanced and civil? C'mon now, this is good people... gooooooooooooood. Pick a side already studios so we can get on with the HD goodness. :D

You are quite Bias too. Didn?t you know that you can actually call Microsoft after changing all that hardware to activate your system as many times as you want (as long as it's only on one computer). I reinstall many times. Unfortunately you will have to call all the time after you change all that hardware. Windows 2000 doesn't have activation. Genuine Advantage and Activation doesn't hurt your system like Sony's Root-kit did....I think you need to educate yourself. And I didn't ask for rude replies...I specifically said to prove me wrong if I am wrong.

I knew when HD-DVD and Blu-Ray was in it's early stages of developement. And I remember when Microsoft made that announcement about why it won't support Blu-Ray. now who is uneducated Read this fool:

http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/10/07/216247

I'm surprised you didn't do your research.

Edited by jesseinsf

can we all agree that boz doesn't actually know anything? like that entire last post he just wrote, means nothing because he can't back up a single thing he just wrote.

Indeed, but the rumours about Time Warner turned out to be true. It's not a stretch to assume that Paramount is considering its position, particularly now that things are stacking up in Blu-Ray's favour. With the momentum behind Blu-Ray Paramount might decide to jump ship, even if the escape clause costs them money in the short-term - that would be a significant blow and would come close to finishing off HD-DVD. The best the HD-DVD group could hope for then would be to heavily promote dual-format players and try convince some of the Blu-Ray studios to go neutral.

At the end of the day Blu-Ray is winning the sales race, despite HD-DVD's hardware being cheaper. Now that says a lot to me. The studios will be paying close attention and Paramount will not want to be tied to a failing format, particularly if going Blu-Ray will speed up adoption and, therefore, sales.

@jesseinsf - Blu-Ray is a joint format, of which Sony is one of the partners. Perhaps if you were to make a coherent and sensible post people would actually pay attention to what you have to say - as it is that nonsense isn't even worth responding to.

http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/10/07/216247

I'm not going to bother to read the garbage you posted since it is, once again, speculation. You "know" Warner was going HD-DVD? How? "Insiders?" Did you negotiate it? Or wait, you read it on AVS probably. From an awesome "insider" who spends their time on the internet getting your panties in a bunch. Point me in the right direction for a legit source and I'll believe a word of it. I don't need to quote you on anything since the entire board following the HDM war knows what I'm talking about - You seem to be the only one who doesn't.

Where does the article say that Paramount is leaving? Where? Show me. It says they are poised to leave based on the thought that they have a release clause. It says that if they start shipping blu that it would be HD-DVD's last breath. But I don't see where it says (in black and white) that Paramount is 100% leaving HD-DVD.

I also think its hilarious how you compare a fire sale to standing prices for BR players. You're a riot. I love how Profile 1.0 players are garbage. I don't care about extras that go online so I can read a fan poll or see what some nerdy director intended for a specific shot in a PiP feature. Quite frankly, most A/V enthusiasts that are involved won't because its not their primary concern for HDM at this point. I didn't buy into Blu (or HD-DVD) thinking "OH GOD YES HI-DEF EXTRAS." So stop arguing that blu is crap because it wasn't their primary concern. Perhaps HD-DVD would still be around if they had put a little money into marketing instead of paying Paramount (because that has worked out so well thus far, but wait, I'm just using 'speculation' that they were payed off*) and such.

.... And btw, their decision has ABSOLUTELY nothing with software sales and "Blu-Ray" superiority as you probably are 100% certain is. MONEY! They were offered HUGE MONEY from HD DVD and the deal was set. Obviously something happened in those several hours that i have no idea about, they most likely offered them better terms that caused them to switch. You can talk about how I was wrong, but I'll just tell you that you have no idea about anything.

So basically you were calling and bad mouthing Warner for accepting money from the BDA yet they were all set with a cash deal from HD DVD Group?

You are such a hippocrite.

So basically you were calling and bad mouthing Warner for accepting money from the BDA yet they were all set with a cash deal from HD DVD Group?

You are such a hippocrite.

Where am I bad mouthing Warner.. It's business you numbnut...

Sigh..I'm done.. go live your life in delusional fairytale..I'm done..

How rude. Get called out on the crap you write and you resort to namecalling. You are the immature one unlike the people you were flinging insults at in this and other threads.

Sigh..I'm done.. go live your life in delusional fairytale..I'm done..

Did a fan boy's dream get crushed? Aww.

Sheppard - You're completely right. He is only mad because Warner came to Blu. He'll talk about back room deals and absurd amounts of money that he can't prove. He'll talk about Blu not being the people's choice (which according to Amazon's charts, it is). He'll talk about how Blu hardware is garbage (1080p=1080p, but Blu can get lossless audio codecs on every disc too!). But if Warner went to HD-DVD, its a triumph. It is Warner making the best decision. They made the 'clear choice.' Insert any fanboy-ism and you have his posts.

Without sources of course. And when you call him out on it, he'll tell you that you need to go find where he said it. Shouldn't be too hard :p

Did a fan boy's dream get crushed? Aww.

Sheppard - You're completely right. He is only mad because Warner came to Blu. He'll talk about back room deals and absurd amounts of money that he can't prove. He'll talk about Blu not being the people's choice (which according to Amazon's charts, it is). He'll talk about how Blu hardware is garbage (1080p=1080p, but Blu can get lossless audio codecs on every disc too!). But if Warner went to HD-DVD, its a triumph. It is Warner making the best decision. They made the 'clear choice.' Insert any fanboy-ism and you have his posts.

Without sources of course. And when you call him out on it, he'll tell you that you need to go find where he said it. Shouldn't be too hard :p

it's true, he said that to me serveral times... but you gotta give him something, he has one hell of an imagination!