Fringe - Season One

I watched the series premier and thought it was OK, maybe 6/10. Enough to peak my interest. Episode 2 was much better and I can see that the series will get better and better the more the story develops. I am very excited about it now.

My only complaints are the somewhat over-acting of the doctor (Walter?) and the son with his CONSTANT sarcastic comments. I think once the actors settle into their characters though they will be better.

Lance Reddick is the man though, I love that guy. I was a faithful watcher of The Wire.

You know what I was thinking when I was watching that, Pacey from Dawsons Creek he was the exact same in that show but that was good because he was cool as that character but there has to be a point where its heads down and work.

Interesting article from the LA Times regarding last night's episode. Don't read if you haven't seen it yet!!!

'Fringe': This one's for the ladies

"Fringe" goes two for two when it comes to getting girls into their bras and panties in prime time. :shifty: Last week, it was series star Anna Torv in her skivvies. This week it's a guest star stripper who undergoes a sudden and accelerated pregnancy and dies a grisly death all before the opening credits.

The plot involves a test tube child grown up but suffering from the side effects of rapid aging. His solution is to seek out strippers and call girls, drugging them and extracting part of their brain (the pituitary gland) to munch on. Before they die, the women get strapped down and their mouths forced open with a mean-looking dental device, their eyes wide with fear. Screaming women dying painful deaths. This means that "Fringe" can safely add movies such as "Captivity" and "Hostel 2" to its lengthy list of influences.

It looks as if Abrams and crew are working hard to win over the female demographic.

After the promise of the first episode, this one comes off as a disappointment. And not just because of the trashy paperback quality of the main story.

It may be a bit premature to say this, but it appears that the heart of the show, Dr. Bishop and the mysterious villains at Massive Dynamic, represent the laziest sort of deus ex machina for the writers. For two episodes in a row, Dr. Bishop has been able to do a cursory examination of the facts and pretty easily draw a connection to all the spooky work he conducted before his incarceration. In this case, he's able to examine one body and with a quick look back at his old research, knows the motives and methods of the murderer. And unsurprisingly, Massive Dynamic has constructed just the little device to solve the mystery: an electronic pulse camera.

The pulse camera gets hooked up to the dead woman's optic nerve -- after the eye has been pulled out of her head, of course. (The series is already living up to suggestion No. 4 from last week.) Let's all pay attention in the coming weeks to see if they use this thing on every dead body they come across. If not, then it's true that this device is just a crutch to keep the plot moving.

Meanwhile, the episode's biggest shocker is the strong suggestion that Peter (Joshua Jackson) is some kind of clone. At least that's what I took away from the cryptic last shot of three bodies that looked a lot like Peter lying on gurneys in an unidentified medical room and Dr. Bishop's reference to Peter's odd medical history. But forget about getting a definite answer; this episode doesn't give one. I suspect we'll get lots of hints and ambiguity on this subject before we learn anything concrete.

The same can be said of the mysterious organization that Agent Dunham's boss, Broyles (Lance Reddick), runs along with Massive Dynamic's Nina (Blair Brown). Last week, it seemed that the men and women of Massive Dynamic were the bad guys. This week, it seems like they're either morally questionable good guys or a little of both. And do they really know what's behind "the Pattern" or are they as clueless as Dunham and co? Again, don't expect many answers on this front either. But unlike "Lost," which has always been skillful at making its unanswered questions fun to puzzle over, "Fringe" has so far succeeded in asking lots of questions before we've had a chance to care about the answers.

I have to agree with the author of this article, the writers do seem to be using Bishop's past to often as a crutch to move the plot along. We already know he's a genius, no need to keep pointing it out. So let's move past his past and get something new, some new **** that even scares Bishop.

Just got done watching last night's episode. Crazy stuff and I really enjoyed it. However, I sincerely hope the sarcasm from Peter will lessen because he is primarily used for quips whenever his dad goes into a highly theoretical rant, and there's only so much of that viewers can take before you really beg the question of his legitimacy as a main character.

As for the apple picture, I didn't notice that before but it makes sense. You can take the seed of an apple and plant an apple tree. I wonder if this is some kind of cloning correlation? There's also a seahorse, which hasn't been shown between segments, but can be seen in the opening credits (along with a flower and frog, just before the six fingered hand). I can't wait to see what else this show throws at us, but that LA Times article is on point with their assessment in the two episode's plots.

UPDATED: The second episode of Fox's supernatural science thriller "Fringe" jumped a stunning 59% in the ratings Tuesday night.

"Fringe" (13.2 million viewers, 5.1 adults 18-49 rating and a 13 share in the national Nielsen ratings) climbed significantly in the adult demo compared with last week's two-hour premiere. The 9 p.m. sci-fi drama retained 91% of the adult demo rating from its new lead-in -- the debut of Fox's returning hit medical drama ?House.?

According to Fox, the "Fringe" spike is the largest ratings jump a new series has made from Week 1 to 2 on any broadcast network in more than a decade. That gain comes despite some increased competition from NBC, whose latest installment of "The Biggest Loser" (7.9 million, 3.2/9) premiered slightly better than last season?s debut.

Yeah. It is tv-14... most shows are tv-14.

Fringe has gotten better in the second episode and I hope this turns out to be a really great series. I like this kinda stuff!

yeah literally.. I was like WTF.. and then it ends.. can't wait for next week.. First I thought it was stigmata? maybe not now.

Great Episode, I loved the idea you could put someone into jelly like a frozen state :p

All serious tho the ghost network was freaky!

New ending as well!

post-15395-1222227274.jpg

Great Episode, I loved the idea you could put someone into jelly like a frozen state :p

New ending as well!

I see a symbol on the frog.. looks like and O ontop of an I.. hmmm roman numerals?

I really enjoyed that episode. It felt a little different from the other two episodes, primarily because 1) Peter wasn't the useless constantly sarcastic son and 2) Walter doesn't go, "Ah, yes, I remember now!" and recounts his previous experiment. So far everything that goes on involves prior research that Walter and Bell did together, so it's only natural that it ties back to him (and Massive Dynamic). And what the heck?! Agent Scott's body!?

New ending as well!

anyone else noticed those little lights on those final images? they seem to be at different places on each images

some *pattern* of some sort ? -_-

Yup, and Phi directly relates to the episode.

Anyone have the final symbol from the previous episodes?

the symbol was the little babies inside the apple i think