Cloverfield (2008)

haven't seen it and i probably wont ,

if it looks as horroble as it did in the trailer (recorded with a cam)

That's kind of the point. It is from first person point of view (i.e. The Blair Witch Project). The film is in the form of a home made movie, shot by a guy named Hud who is filming a going away party for his friend who is moving to Japan.

Anyone else notice the last scene when they were on the ferris wheel when they looked out over the water the meteor that was in the sky?

uh, no, are you serious?!

haven't seen it and i probably wont ,

if it looks as horroble as it did in the trailer (recorded with a cam)

Its in full HD, so it doesn't lack quality as Blair Witch did.

Yes, its a little shaky, but definetly worth it.

Anyone have a link to a screenshot or clip from the meteor from that last scene everyone's talking about?

Would not mind seeing that too but I have a feeling the second one is posted it will be banned. I asked my sister, who is going to see it tomorrow, to look for something in that scene. I told her what but I won't spoil it here.

On the subject of what the bloody thing looks like, any see any previous speculations that look like what you saw in the movie? I am about to Google and see what's been circulating but what I have seen so far is either a spawn of the Renkor beast or The Beast from 20,000 fathoms and it appears those were not even close.

I posted it here because people would of seen the film and wondered.

After seeing Cloverfield today, audiences around the country are still asking what the hell is the deal with the monster? Where the hell did it come from.

Well, Film School Rejects Brian Gibson and Chris Ilcisko got the inside track on the monster’s origins from the director Matt Reeves himself. If you watch the movie closely, you can see a hint of where the monster comes from...

No, not in the attack footage. Not in the news footage. In the footage from April that was accidentally erased by Hud.

This original footage doesn’t just include the budding relationship between Rob and Beth. It also has the “first” appearance of the monster.

Didn’t catch it? Well, go see the movie again, and watch carefully in the Coney Island footage at the very end. You might just see something suspicious drop into the water.

Watch the skies, my friends. Watch the skies.

Source: http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/news/excl...r-came-from.php

Edited by Hurmoth
Added spoiler tag to the spoiler.

Ahh, that really grinds my gears. I just got back from seeing it. And I was specifically looking for something out of my ordinary during that last scene. Can't believe I missed it.

CRAP !! I did not notice the meteor thing at the end :(

I guess I have to go watch the movie again :D

just got back... GREAT MOVIE.

Perhaps even more so then the monster, what made this movie is the great acting, these guys really pulled off making this movie believable, i actually felt as if i was watching a real documented movie of this happening.

Thank you to the person who had mentioned about the comet... i did notice it (barely) from the old footage, which must indicate the "monster" landing. although i knew it was coming, i kinda felt sad that everyone died, but i guess knowing that the video was found gives us the belief that we conquered the monster

The only thing that i was really upset about with this movie was when the monster grabbed Hud, i suppose it was just to give us an up close look at the monster, but it made no sense and would have been better without it. How does a monster the size of a sky scraper just "appear" on top of you.. doesn't make any sense

About the camera movement.. i felt the first 20-30 minutes were rough.. alot of heavy shaking and blur, which made me dizzy.. however once the action started aside from a few scenes it calmed down quite a bit and was very watchable.

Overall.. great movie, nice to see something fresh.

****, I wish I had noticed the meteor in that last scene. I loved the movie, though. Living in Brooklyn and watching it in NYC did add some wonder to it, for me.

****, I wish I had noticed the meteor in that last scene. I loved the movie, though. Living in Brooklyn and watching it in NYC did add some wonder to it, for me.

Since you live right there, I wanted to ask you, do you feel any negativity towards the filmmakers because of them "exploiting" 9/11? I know that may sound crazy to some, but I've read a lot of negative reviews bashing the film because there is some similarities between the buildings falling, the dusk clouds, etc. with 9/11.

Since you live right there, I wanted to ask you, do you feel any negativity towards the filmmakers because of them "exploiting" 9/11? I know that may sound crazy to some, but I've read a lot of negative reviews bashing the film because there is some similarities between the buildings falling, the dusk clouds, etc. with 9/11.

Not at all. It's what happens when buildings fall and, if anything, the memory of 9/11 just made it seem a lot more realistic since I've witness the same chaos in my own city before.

Not at all. It's what happens when buildings fall and, if anything, the memory of 9/11 just made it seem a lot more realistic since I've witness the same chaos in my own city before.

Just thought I'd ask... I have actually been wondering if these critics actually lived and witnessed what happened on 9/11 first hand.

Yes, I'd recommend it. And you have to see it in theaters :yes: This is a film for theaters and HDTV!

I know my Dad saw it yesterday, and he nearly **** his pants... He told me parts of it, I just wondered that's all.

I've been reading a lot of mixed reviews just depending on where I visit (forums and such)... I think I'm going to wait for it to hit DVD, unless my friends tells me otherwise.

I've been reading a lot of mixed reviews just depending on where I visit (forums and such)... I think I'm going to wait for it to hit DVD, unless my friends tells me otherwise.

Here's three reviews that might change your mind: http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/review/1789, http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/10917, http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/10933. And the film has a 76% rating on the TomatoMeter @ RottenTomatoes (at the time of this writing).

You should give this a try. How many people here at Neowin have said that it is bad? 2-3 out of 7 pages isn't bad. The worst part about the film is the homemade video feel. While it is unique (in the fact that not very many films use this style and get away with it), it is hard on the eyes at times. But outside of that, the style of the film works because you makes you part of the film. You sit there and feel like, "Yeah, I could have filmed this event" or someone you know might have filmed this. You can only see what Hud can see, and that makes you immersed in the story even more so than any other monster film.

The other thing that I found a little annoying is there's to much opening; meaning when the film opens, the storyline that they throw you in (the people the film is about) takes way to long to get to the monster, or at least it felt that way to me. Now the reason they did that is because they want us to connect with these characters, but to be honest IMO we don't necessarily need to connect with these characters.

DVD won't do this justice, only a theater with true digital surround sound will do this film justice. I'm going back to see this film again probably next weekend, that's how much I enjoyed it, I didn't even buy Dead Silence on DVD, let alone see it twice in theaters :laugh:

DVD won't do this justice, only a theater with true digital surround sound will do this film justice. I'm going back to see this film again probably next weekend, that's how much I enjoyed it, I didn't even buy Dead Silence on DVD, let alone see it twice in theaters :laugh:

Definitely. One of the key aspects was the shaking of the floor when the footsteps of the monster were nearby. It really added a lot to the experience and put you much further into the scene.

I just got back from seeing it and really liked it. The only problem I had with it was the ending, but I expect them to tie up some loose ends later with some more viral marketing. If you have the choice between I am Legend and Cloverfield I would recommend seeing Cloverfield because you really want the theater experience for this one.

I REALLY want to see shots of the thing dropping in the water at Coney Island!!

Ughh, me, too. I'm worried I'm going to have to pay another $12 just to see 15 seconds of the movie lol.