Who here can drive a stick?

While currently not owning a car, I learnt to drive using one with manual transmission, and have only driven cars with MT.

Are AT cars easier to drive, I ask this, because I'm under the impression that the driver doesn't have to worry about gears, only accelerating and braking

While currently not owning a car, I learnt to drive using one with manual transmission, and have only driven cars with MT.

Are AT cars easier to drive, I ask this, because I'm under the impression that the driver doesn't have to worry about gears, only accelerating and braking

hell yeah it's easier to drive, all you have to worry about concentrating on is the traffic.

Also another thing I hate almost as much as I hate manuals, are cars with sewing machine engines. Anything under 2.0 with a standard suspension is useless imo. Not to mention extremely unsafe as you get grannies that try to pass people that are driving in a mondeo in an old ass micra.

<<Edited for the happy *cough*s>>

I have owned aprox 18 cars, since I woz 15yrs, I think 11 of them had standard transmissions.

I used to be a semi driver and most trucks have 18 speed, non syncromesh transmissions

so you dont need to use clutch.

I'm getting tired of shifting gears, it's harder to multi-task these days when your driving and drinking coffee and havin a smoke (I quit since) and talking on cell phone, not too mention manually change CD's in my stereo too, and then I gotta pay attention too traffic, steer and SHIFT gears too :wacko:

Also another thing I hate almost as much as I hate manuals, are cars with sewing machine engines. Anything under 3.0 is useless imo. Not to mention extremely unsafe as you get grannies that try to pass people that are driving in a mondeo in an old ass micra

wtf ?!? you obviously know nothing about cars... WRX 2.0liter 227bhp or WRX STi 2.5liter 300+bhp, will whip your poopty mustang anyday...

wtf ?!? you obviously know nothing about cars... WRX 2.0liter 227bhp or WRX STi 2.5liter 300+bhp, will whip your poopty mustang anyday...

yes notice I'm from Scotland and seeing as how they don't sell mondeos or micras in the US then I'm obviously talking about UK model cars.

Feel free to remove your head from your rectum now.

yes notice I'm from Scotland and seeing as how they don't sell mondeos or micras in the US then I'm obviously talking about UK model cars.

In Canada, cars that are up to 3.0 Liter are V12, V10 and on the limit the V8. You can get a 2.0 Liter V6 at 240HP or at 1.8 Liter 180HP Turbo L4. Since the limits here are 100KM/h|60M/h oldies roll very slow...

In Canada, cars that are up to 3.0 Liter are V12, V10 and on the limit the V8. You can get a 2.0 Liter V6 at 240HP or at 1.8 Liter 180HP Turbo L4. Since the limits here are 100KM/h|60M/h oldies roll very slow...

most people I've seen on the road here have 1.1, 1.4, or 1.8 litre engines because of "insurance costs"

insurance over here is cheap as hell compared to america

WickedKitten,

Are you serious? Insurance over here is quite often referred to as a SCAM because its so expensive compared to other countries.

I drive a 2.0 16v Corrado.. it certainly isn't 3.0l like you seem to say is 'just about enough' - but even a well tuned 2.0l engine will give you plenty of performance. Just look at the likes of Honda.. or even Subaru or Mitsibushi engines?

I'd say 1.6 is probably enough for most people.. enough to get you out of trouble, and enough to comfortably do the speed limit without the engine screaming itself to pieces.

hell yeah it's easier to drive, all you have to worry about concentrating on is the traffic.

Also another thing I hate almost as much as I hate manuals, are cars with sewing machine engines. Anything under 3.0 is useless imo. Not to mention extremely unsafe as you get grannies that try to pass people that are driving in a mondeo in an old ass micra.

Get over the big engine thing...it's so American. :p

Altezza will back me up here if he sees this. :D

WRX, STi, RX-7, GTR, do I need to rattle off anymore?

Yup....Drive a 5 speed daily.

In case you're wondering, it's a 1995 Saturn SC2. Ya, shut up. I get 30mpg. :rofl:

Also another thing I hate almost as much as I hate manuals, are cars with sewing machine engines. Anything under 3.0 is useless imo. Not to mention extremely unsafe as you get grannies that try to pass people that are driving in a mondeo in an old ass micra.

That's funny...because I've beat several V6's with my 1.9L 4 cylinder Saturn. The last one was a Camaro. Ya, so the Camaro V6 isn't that much...but it should still beat a non-tweaked, non-turbo'd, non-super'd 4 cylinder. :yes:

Learned on a stick then drove automatics for 10 years till I bought my last car: 2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R not the Spec V

though, got the 5 speed and here in Jersey I pay $2,150.00USD a year in insurance with zero points on my liscense and

only one "reported" accident down in Arkansas in 1992 where I totaled a LeBaron convertible.

You *seemed* to be implying in your first post that anything with an engine smaller than 3L is slow and as you put it, dangerous.

Engines have come a long way in recent years... look at the S2k. 180kw from a 2L n/a? Look at the BMWs.... healthy torque curves from 2-3L engines. And if you're looking at 'mini' cars, look at the new Mini made by BMW. The Cooper ain't no slouch, although it ain't a hot rod either. But look at the Cooper S... supercharged 1.6 can hang with a stock rex any day.

WickedKitten,

Are you serious? Insurance over here is quite often referred to as a SCAM because its so expensive compared to other countries.

I drive a 2.0 16v Corrado.. it certainly isn't 3.0l like you seem to say is 'just about enough' - but even a well tuned 2.0l engine will give you plenty of performance. Just look at the likes of Honda.. or even Subaru or Mitsibushi engines?

I'd say 1.6 is probably enough for most people.. enough to get you out of trouble, and enough to comfortably do the speed limit without the engine screaming itself to pieces.

Right now unspec has a P reg 1.4 litre ford fiesta that costs him around ?35 a month with his 5 years no claims discount.

I've got a 3.4 litre W reg Nissan Xterra that cost me $47 a month or ?28 because although my mum has lived in GB off and on for the past 32 years, she still has a auto insurance account with state farm plus my dad was able to get a military discount despite the fact he was British Army, if it wasn't for that my insurance would have been at least $400 a month

To ensure that over here with the same coverage would cost about ?100 a month.

It all depends on your driving record, whether or not you're male or female, how many years you've been driving, and what age you are.

For me, being as how I've been driving for the past 7 years, am over 21, have been married, have never even gotten a parking ticked, and am female, the uk is cheaper

Hard to belive the UK is cheaper for insurance but we certanly make up for it with the price of fuel

yeah, the price of petrol is definately something to bitch about. 75p a shaging litre.

Before I moved back there was a huge hue and cry where I was living because petrol got up to 1.50 a gallon, and when I was living in new york it was around 2 a gallon.

I'll never buy a vehicle with an auto trans, my truck is a 5-speed. Like someone else earlier in the thread, I grew up on a farm and drove 3 ton trucks and semi's, so I learned very early in life, even before I had my license, how to drive a stick.

Yea I drive a 1996 Ford Fiesta 1.1 Classic with a 5 speed gearbox. Its dirt cheap to run/insure/pay road taxes.

Yea my BMW 318i died :( (it was old anyway)

I learned to drive on a stick, but I drive automatic, because the traffic here is so bad all the time it's a hastle with a stick.

I recommend anyone learn on a stick though, incase you ever get stuck in a situation that you have to drive one. (Your buddy gets drunk or whatever)