Who here can drive a stick?

While currently not owning a car, I learnt to drive using one with manual transmission, and have only driven cars with MT.

Are AT cars easier to drive, I ask this, because I'm under the impression that the driver doesn't have to worry about gears, only accelerating and braking

hell yeah it's easier to drive, all you have to worry about concentrating on is the traffic.

Also another thing I hate almost as much as I hate manuals, are cars with sewing machine engines. Anything under 3.0 is useless imo. Not to mention extremely unsafe as you get grannies that try to pass people that are driving in a mondeo in an old ass micra.

Get over the big engine thing...it's so American. :p

Altezza will back me up here if he sees this. :D

WRX, STi, RX-7, GTR, do I need to rattle off anymore?

Under 3 litres useless? Are you joking? :blink:

The lesser the engine capacity, the more reliable and efficient the car is. But don't get me wrong, there are also 3 litres or above cars which also reliable as well. But think this, the maintenance cost will be twice as much as the normal 4 cylinder does. I'm not talking about turbocharged or supercharged engine, just normally aspirated engine. The cost of maintenance of 4 cylinder cars are much cheaper compared to those big capacity engines :pinch:

The bigger the engine capacity, the more fuel the engine will consume. Of course this applies to normal and untouched engine (without any modifications to the engine). Yes the souped up 4 cylinder engine (with turbo) will consume more fuel of course but still lower consumption than bigger capacity engines :pinch:

Yes those fast cars like WRX, RX7, GTR, Lancer EVO are all below 3 litres. They are superb cars and fast of course. Does not necessarily above 3 litres to be sport cars ;)

I don't like big capacity engine cars, particularly raw powered V8 cars. I know they are fast. It's not totally a true sport car.

I'm happy with 4 cylinder normally aspirated car :happy:

Btw, thanks aco for mentioning me ;)

I can drive stick, have do so. I also ride motorcyle, same concept. But I prefer to drive my car as automatic. Convience and comfort are nice. But i still keep my hand on the gear changer! :whistle:

While currently not owning a car, I learnt to drive using one with manual transmission, and have only driven cars with MT.

Are AT cars easier to drive, I ask this, because I'm under the impression that the driver doesn't have to worry about gears, only accelerating and braking

hell yeah it's easier to drive, all you have to worry about concentrating on is the traffic.

Also another thing I hate almost as much as I hate manuals, are cars with sewing machine engines. Anything under 3.0 is useless imo. Not to mention extremely unsafe as you get grannies that try to pass people that are driving in a mondeo in an old ass micra.

Get over the big engine thing...it's so American. :p

Altezza will back me up here if he sees this. :D

WRX, STi, RX-7, GTR, do I need to rattle off anymore?

Under 3 litres useless? Are you joking? :blink:

The lesser the engine capacity, the more reliable and efficient the car is. But don't get me wrong, there are also 3 litres or above cars which also reliable as well. But think this, the maintenance cost will be twice as much as the normal 4 cylinder does. I'm not talking about turbocharged or supercharged engine, just normally aspirated engine. The cost of maintenance of 4 cylinder cars are much cheaper compared to those big capacity engines :pinch:

The bigger the engine capacity, the more fuel the engine will consume. Of course this applies to normal and untouched engine (without any modifications to the engine). Yes the souped up 4 cylinder engine (with turbo) will consume more fuel of course but still lower consumption than bigger capacity engines :pinch:

Yes those fast cars like WRX, RX7, GTR, Lancer EVO are all below 3 litres. They are superb cars and fast of course. Does not necessarily above 3 litres to be sport cars ;)

I don't like big capacity engine cars, particularly raw powered V8 cars. I know they are fast. It's not totally a true sport car.

I'm happy with 4 cylinder normally aspirated car :happy:

Btw, thanks aco for mentioning me ;)

OH NO, OH NO, you forgot about the intergra type r with its 1.8l 4 cylinder vtec. how could you.

If you have an Automatic transmission car in the UK (or Europe), people think you are a wuss and can't drive properly. Most car here will be Manual (What you call "stick"), and EVERYONE learn in one. In my whole live, I've only seen 1 car that is automatic, it was my uncle's. All my friends', friends' families, teachers.......friend of friends' uses manual gear.

To get an automatic will make people think either you are lazy, can't drive or spoiled. (I am honest !) And everyone loves driving with a manual gearbox, it's so much more fun then just press and press with your foot.

my lexus sc300 is auto. in normal transmission mode, it's soso, good performance but soso. in power transmission it's quite a bit better. you can pretty much control what it does in power mode which is really nice. doesn't really do anything too weird.

i've driven a manual once, if you want total control it's perfect. but for me, driving around every day, it's just so much more practical having an auto. i know that a manual eventually becomes natural and you don't always have to think about it but sometimes i have to drive later at night when i'm more tired and also i sometimes get into a lot of traffic.

so yeah. manual is neat, auto is for me.

i can drive a stick, barely tho. Im still learning, as my dad is still teaching me. I've only been out once maybe in his 96' F150. other than that i drive a 96 Mercury Villager, and a 89 Ford Tempo (my grandmothers car, but it will be mine soon)

I'm not coordinated enough to drive a stick. :cry:

My uncle Dave tried to teach me on his Volvo yrs ago but his screaming and yelling and my crying really turned me off the buggers. Give me an automatic ANY day.

anita

OMG, I CAN DRIVE A Stick, but honestly, if you can drive manual, you can basically drive anything. :D

Like, i used to do rally with my old suzuki esteem wagon, and omg, i was pretty good, making good rally turns on crowded residential roads ( and swirving in between cars and such ). Stick is also good for street racin, which i tried to do in my friends Dodge stealth, pretty cool :D

ohh well, GO FOR STICk.. STICK SHIFT RULEZ ALL! :D

I absolutely hate manuals. How the hell am i supposed to go to the mcdonalds drive thru window and then eat my food and drive with a damn manual?

I drive my car, eat, talk on phone and hold a drink because no cup holders in my car and i shift so it can be done!