Post Processing Before and after

So it did :(

I never noticed till you pointed it out :) cheers :)

I saw the sign and the lack of sign and it took a while to suss out where it went ;)

Also, just tried (spurred on by this thread) to process some photos from my point and shoot (okay, crap, but it'll give me the bug enough to justify a dSLR)

http://wst50.deviantart.com/

There's only 2 photos there, so it's easy to compare them.

• 2 weeks later...

Original:

2norm.jpg

Edited for HDR:

2plusAnd2More_tonemapped.jpg

Damn I REALLY love HDR photos - I'm sooooo going to do more of these :)

What techniques did you use to do that? looks sharpened a good bit

Honestly, I really can't remember haha. It was long ago. I did use a lot of color dodging and burning, and yes, it is sharpened up a bit but I did process with RAW so I was able to bring out a LOT of detail from the shot. I used some selective color saturation, brightness, etc... A lot went into it, probably around 3-4 hours worth of post.

Original:

Edited for HDR:

Damn I REALLY love HDR photos - I'm sooooo going to do more of these :)

Did you just edit it to look like it is HDR, or did you actually take the multiple photos and make a real HDR image?

I think HDR looks terrible, on almost all of the examples i've seen.

I kind of agree with you. There are some that are way overdone and blown out, but there are some, though not a lot, good ones that look decent.

I think HDR looks terrible, on almost all of the examples i've seen.
I kind of agree with you. There are some that are way overdone and blown out, but there are some, though not a lot, good ones that look decent.

It really depends on how someone processes the photos. I see a LOT of HDR that looks amazing and not like plastic with tons of halos. Here are a couple of my own that I put together that I know don't look like some cheeseball shot that you see a lot of:

190387946_ec22cfba16_o.jpg

2290609682_99dd50d282_o.jpg

It really depends on how someone processes the photos. I see a LOT of HDR that looks amazing and not like plastic with tons of halos. Here are a couple of my own that I put together that I know don't look like some cheeseball shot that you see a lot of:

<snip snip>

See, your examples are how HDRs should look. They're not blown out, nor do they look ridiculously over saturated. (Y)

190387946_ec22cfba16_o.jpg

2290609682_99dd50d282_o.jpg

Did you have a Neutral Density filter on for the ocean shot? Looks kinda like it

I see a LOT of HDR that looks amazing and not like plastic with tons of halos. Here are a couple of my own that I put together that I know don't look like some cheeseball shot that you see a lot of

Those images go against the entire point of high dynamic range imaging, as defined on Wikipedia:

"The intention of HDRI is to accurately represent the wide range of intensity levels found in real scenes ranging from direct sunlight to shadows."

The images you posted do not accurately respresent the intensity of the scene but merely exaggerate particular aspects of it - they look far too arty and processed. HDR is great for computer games where you're talking about a dynamic experience but it's only really useful for arty stuff when it comes to imaging. That's not to say that I don't like them... just that they don't look at all natural or realistic.

Sorry metro but even in your images, which i agree are better than most examples, the HDR ruins a nice shot.

It just looks processed and unatural, which to me is exactly what i don't want my processing to be, noticable.

If that made any sense.