The Big Wrestling Thread!

The former Evan Bourne (Matt Sydal) is expected to be released from prison in Japan on December 6th. He's been incarcerated since late September for possession of liquid cannabis after customs found the substance in a hidden pipe. Sydal was convicted on drug charges in mid-October and sentenced to prison but it appears he's coming home early.

http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2016/1201/619862/matt-sydal-being-released-from-prison/

He was in jail for quite some time, over a month or so. It took them eight, nine weeks to have court set. There was finally court this week. He plead guilty right away. It was a rather simple court case procedure. The prosecutor wanted eighteen months in jail or three years probation…He’s going to take the probation. That means next week he’ll have a verdict, then he goes to the airport and goes home.

It was his thirtieth trip to Japan, and they didn’t think it was the first time he brought something in…The reason he got caught this time though, this is where things get really mysterious and tricky, Japanese customs in Osaka were informed by somebody that Matthew Joseph Cochran is bringing in certain things.

It was mentioned in the court too, that customs was informed by somebody, they’re not saying who, but that Matthew Joseph Cochran from America is bringing in certain things on certain dates. They knew it.

He’s out on bail now and then the verdict is coming this coming Monday. They’ll give him three years probation, no jail time, nothing, he’s going home that day.

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/779843-trailer-for-wwe-studios-sleight-released-video-matt-sydal-returning-to-america-following-arrest-in-japan

It seems that WWE goes my way these days, and I can only be happy about this :D They got Sting, and it was awesome, except his unfortunate injury, they got Goldberg and it was even more awesome, now all I want is Scott Steiner and to hell with it, I'm done with WWE. Today I watched their video with 5 superstars that could have one more match, and Steiner was there. To me, that's a sign. I'll be patient, like I was so far. He will be back.

So, ROH Final Battle was a pretty great show. Quite a few surprises, including this playing after the tag title match...

In a translated nutshell, Tajiri's returning to WWE in the new year, probably on a more permanent basis.

This weekend he made a surprise appearance during an NXT live event in Osaka, Japan teaming with Akira Tozawa to take on NXT Tag Team Champions Johnny Gargano and Tommaso Ciampa.

Tajiri met with NXT general manager William Regal, as reported, and likely other WWE officials and finalized a deal to make his return to the company. While we don’t have all the details at this time, he will be finishing up his obligations in Japan on 12/27 and will likely be working with the NXT brand and/or 205 Live show going forward. Of course there’s always the potential he may turn up on the main roster at some point as well.

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/780675-japanese-wrestling-legend-yoshihiro-tajiri-returning-to-wwe-in-early-2017

35 minutes ago, LOC said:

Oy vey. But, hey, good for Matt (and Jeff) for having such a great angle in this day and age right?

Yeah, that's the spirit! They reinvented themselves, especially Matt, and now they're arguably more popular than they've ever been in their careers. Matt especially deserves a lot of credit. I think we'd all agree that about a year ago, he was way past his prime, with Jeff starting to follow. What a turnaround it's been. Good for TNA, too, letting them appear in other promotions on both sides of the pond (well, for Matt, since Jeff obviously can't leave the US); that surprise appearance at ROH's Final Battle was probably the cherry on top. Last time Matt was in ROH, he was the most hated guy there, and rightly so, but now, he gets a mega pop! https://streamable.com/iim5

Wait, I thought Tajiri retired years ago now - and ran his own promotion in Japan? I haven't kept up with the Japanese companies in over a decade however, so I might be off on that one by quite a bit :D

And yeah, its pretty smart for TNA to let Matt (and Jeff to a lesser extent due to his traveling issue) go to other promotions for the promotion of this tag team thingy idea. Whether that'll translate to anything other than an ROH etc cross promotion, we'll have to see. I severely doubt Vince will ever let that happen in his company. He might work with ROH at some point, but not TNA. Not unless he can get the tape library as we all know that is what he wants now. And TNA isn't going to let him have that just for a tag team match lol

12 hours ago, LOC said:

Wait, I thought Tajiri retired years ago now - and ran his own promotion in Japan? I haven't kept up with the Japanese companies in over a decade however, so I might be off on that one by quite a bit :D

Nah, he's been going constantly since '94. He did start up a couple of different promotions in Japan, this decade - Smash (not to be confused with Smash Wrestling over in Canada), and Wrestling New Classic (which he formed with Akira Nogami and Kana Asuka) - but they both folded a couple of years later. He's been in Wrestle-1 for the past couple of years; had a brief spell in TNA, too, wrestling in the main event of Bound for Glory (the one in Japan with Wrestle-1), then most recently went back to WWE for the Cruiserweight Classic.

12 hours ago, LOC said:

And yeah, its pretty smart for TNA to let Matt (and Jeff to a lesser extent due to his traveling issue) go to other promotions for the promotion of this tag team thingy idea. Whether that'll translate to anything other than an ROH etc cross promotion, we'll have to see.

Well, they've got The Rock 'n' Roll Express on board: http://www.prowrestlingsheet.com/rock-n-roll-express-tna-apocalypto/ And it seems inevitable that The Bucks of Youth will be a part of it, too, especially after this...

According to The Wrestling Observer, ITV recently taped a pilot for the World of Sport revival, which is set to air at the end of the month. ITV is the #2 network in The UK, and WWE could end up being in a situation in which it’s no longer the #1 promotion in The UK, as Raw draws about 150,000 viewers on Sky Sports, whereas ITV could be seen by millions of people. When it comes to live attendance, however, WWE would still be the #1 promotion in The UK.

The World of Sport Revival special, which was taped back in November, will air later this month and feature commentary by WWE Hall of Famer Jim Ross. A series has yet to be picked up, but it’s strongly being considered, with one idea being to hold a large taping in a few months in which about 10 episodes of TV is shot all at once.

In related news, WWE has been very aggressive as of late in offering UK talents new deals, and speculation is that the deals being offered are simply an attempt to keep the talents off potential competitor’s TV programs. Furthermore, it appears as if WWE vs ITV is already a battle brewing behind-the-scenes, as ITV recently sent talents amendments to their contracts stipulating talents cannot appear on other major TV shows while under contract to ITV.

As it pertains to the talent deals being offered by WWE, the contracts are said not to be for the main roster or even for NXT or the Performance Center, and are being labeled “competition-killer” deals. The contracts are said to be low-dollar guaranteed deals, which would allow key UK talents to work the independent scene, but WWE would have the right to approve any and all bookings the talents take. The appeal here for the talents is that the deals would give them a financial cushion from WWE, as well as the value of being associated with a big promotion. The appeal for WWE is the company would then be able to lock the talents into deals preventing them from working for ITV.

The new deals were reportedly a hot topic at the last ICW show in Glasgow, and some talents there were urging other talents not to sign the deals, calling them “mark deals”, with the idea being WWE doesn’t actually want the talents, they just don’t want them working anywhere else.

There’s also speculation on WWE possibly doing some kind of TV show with these new UK talents for that market only. The idea is that just being associated with WWE will be a big boost to the local marketability of each talent signed.

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/780107-wwe-reportedly-offering-mark-deals-to-indy-talents-to-keep-them-off-uk-tv-news-on-possible-big-competition-for-wwe-in-the-uk

According to PWInsider.com, the lawsuit brought forth by Billy Corgan against TNA parent company Impact Ventures LLC, TNA Wrestling itself, CFO Dean Broadhead, President Dixie Carter and Serg Salinas was officially settled on December 5th in the Chancery Court of Nashville, TN. The lawsuit was settled after Corgan came to an agreement with Anthem Sports & Entertainment, the parent company of Fight Network.

Of note in the settlement is the judge ruling Corgan must cover all court costs and the suit was dismissed without prejudice, meaning Corgan could re-open the lawsuit in the future if he wants to. Furthermore, the dismissal only releases TNA, Impact Ventures LLC and Anthem from future legal claims, meaning Dixie Carter, Dean Broadhead, and Carter’s husband Serg Salinas could potentially be sued by Corgan if he chooses to do so.

To quickly recap the lawsuit, Billy Corgan filed back in October, and argued he was entitled to Dixie Carter’s 92.5% ownership of TNA due to a pledge agreement he made with Carter. Corgan furthered he he was entitled to Carter’s voting rights and the ability to replace the current managers with designated managers of his choosing. The court did not rule in Corgan’s favor.

Following the official settlement of the lawsuit, Anthem Sports & Entertainment is now financially backing TNA and is expected to announce it has purchased majority ownership of TNA from Dixie Carter.

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/781929-billy-corgan-and-tna-officially-settle-lawsuit-details-on-possible-future-lawsuits-involving-dixie-carter-new-tna-ownership-and-more