[UK] best broadband

I am with Virgin and have been for the past 5 years and have never had any issued in those 5 years it has only been down once and that was for a few hours. I am currently have the 20meg connection and always max out when i am downloading from newsgroups.

...even though ?7.99 more expensive than IE O2?

You get what you pay for, the most pricey is going to be better.

If you get a dirt cheap package, you're going to get a ****ty service.

Who recommended Orange to you? Give them a good slap, from me!

Demon or PlusNet are the safest options to go for nowadays, although Zen or supposed to be good. After the constant problems with Tiscali I'd avoid them like the plague, and after my experience with a mobile phones interpretation of good broadband (Orange), I'd avoid Orange and O2 likewise.

If quality is what you are after, then stop looking at the big "brand name" ISPs.

I use FireFly Internet (have done for 2 or 3 years), and while their prices are a little more than others for similar packages, their customer service and download speeds are fairly impressive (at least the majority of the time).

http://www.fireflyinternet.com

To sumarize: if I'm going to pay ?17.99 + landline the best internet

DEMON

to pay ?19.99UKONLINE

To pay $10 is: O2 or SKY

Or to pay ?8.49Tiscali regarding download- Lottery? (kind of) service- the more I'd pay the better it would :huh:uh:

Or to pay a fortune ?18.99 with a mixed reviewsBT

Darn, by the time I post reply its already late... NICE one thanks!

From everything I've read, Be seem to offer the best speed and customer service. BT aren't bad, but they will cap your speed if you download too much.

You get what you pay for, the most pricey is going to be better.

If you get a dirt cheap package, you're going to get a ****ty service.

I disagree.

I was paying ?25 a month with AOL. Crap.

Moved to ADSL24 for ?20 a month. Much better. Faster speeds, and awesome customer support.

Since moved to Sky (only because of the price) for ?10 a month. Even faster, and customer support is still good.

If you have Sky TV, I would say go with them. ?10 a month for up to 24Mbps. Unlimited, but it seems there's a soft cap of 250GB (still a lot more than other "unlimited" ISP's.

If you do not have sky TV, then I'd recommend ADSL24. ?20 a month for up to 8Mbps. There is s 30GB peak and 300GB off peak cap, but customer service is the best of any company I've ever dealt with, and again the cap is still less than what a lot of "unlimited" ISP's will say.

I've been with Telewest/Blueyonder/VirginMedia since about 1998 and the quality of service and support (and pricing!) has gone massively downhill since the NTL merger and VirginMedia takeover. I get my 4Mb connection up to 4Mb once in a blue moon these days and the offshore support centre is next to useless.

As such I've just had a BT line installed and gone with Fast purely on the basis of their reviews at http://www.ispreview.co.uk. They're a little pricier than some, and the 15GB/m bandwidth allowance I've opted for might stretch me a bit but we'll see how it goes.

Who recommended Orange to you? Give them a good slap, from me!

Demon or PlusNet are the safest options to go for nowadays, although Zen or supposed to be good. After the constant problems with Tiscali I'd avoid them like the plague, and after my experience with a mobile phones interpretation of good broadband (Orange), I'd avoid Orange and O2 likewise.

OK hear you loud and clear! No Orange!

Hear fairly clearly no Tiscali either!

Hear for: ZEN; Demon; FireInteret...

Half /half- O2 and BT...

got to make my mind up then what to pay? :blink:

I disagree.

I was paying ?25 a month with AOL. Crap.

Moved to ADSL24 for ?20 a month. Much better. Faster speeds, and awesome customer support.

Since moved to Sky (only because of the price) for ?10 a month. Even faster, and customer support is still good.

If you have Sky TV, I would say go with them. ?10 a month for up to 24Mbps. Unlimited, but it seems there's a soft cap of 250GB (still a lot more than other "unlimited" ISP's.

If you do not have sky TV, then I'd recommend ADSL24. ?20 a month for up to 8Mbps. There is s 30GB peak and 300GB off peak cap, but customer service is the best of any company I've ever dealt with, and again the cap is still less than what a lot of "unlimited" ISP's will say.

Is that @ ?19.99?ADSL24

OK hear you loud and clear! No Orange!

You have to be loud and clear when you phone up their customer support ><

So far, the ones with no complaints (or not many) are: Zen, Demon, FireFly, PlusNet, and Be.

At the end of the day, you've just got to see which one looks best to you out of those. BTW what do you intend to use it for? Gaming, P2P, FTP?

Is that @ ?19.99?ADSL24

yep.

And yeah, its a hard decision. Took me ages before I decided upon ADSL24, and then took me ages to decided to move to sky. The problem with a lot of ISP's is that your trapped once your sign up. That is one of ADSL24's plus points - its a monthly contract.

Bit of gaming, load of P2p(~ 100-150GB a month), bit of surfing...

Regarding pricing: how bad is O2? anyone?

as the difference is BIG, but montly contract is a BIG bonus tooo... (ADSL 24)

BE @?18.99, how long is the contract with them?

Edited by Atasas

From everything I've read, Be seem to offer the best speed and customer service.

+1

I was with UK Online previously and Be are miles better in terms of both speed and customer service.

Ha! as soon as poll got inserted none is interested to say what is what?

OK then I shall try to sumarise once again

for impecable service alllround: Be, followed by ADSL24 , Demon and FireFlyInternet

For best value, but uncofirmed really quality and service O2 and Sky

Against Orange, Tiscali, AOL

Competely contavertial BT...

so far...

im on o2 ?7.50 a month 8mg unlimited because im on a mobile contract with them and it takes the **** how much better it is than tiscali, better speed, better customer service, ?10 cheaper. Brilliant.

im on o2 ?7.50 a month 8mg unlimited because im on a mobile contract with them and it takes the **** how much better it is than tiscali, better speed, better customer service, ?10 cheaper. Brilliant.

Thanks! clearly one of the favourite posible choices now...(or be)...

I have heard good things about Be and Zen, but unfortunatly both of those do not do in my area.

I am with Virgin Media. They are okay but no matter what you download, you will be capped with speed between 4 and 12ish.

I am looking at Sky as I hope to get myself a Sky box some point soon, so it would be easier. Just a shame they do not have the right BB offer for me right now.