UFC 85 Thread

UFC 85 is an upcoming mixed martial arts event to be held by the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), the event is to be held on June 7, 2008 at The O2 arena in London, England.

Announced matchups

* Light Heavyweight bout: Chuck Liddell vs Mauricio Rua

* Heavyweight bout: Fabricio Werdum vs Brandon Vera

CHUCK LIDDELL says he will knock out Mauricio ‘Shogun’ Rua when the two collide at UFC 85 in June.

The Iceman is set to face ex-Pride superstar Rua at London’s O2 Arena and claims a victory will put him back in title contention.

Liddell said: “I’m looking forward to a great fight. He’s a well-rounded fighter and it should be fun.

“But I think that after I have this fight - and WHEN I win this fight - I deserve a title shot. "

Both fighters are known for their striking ability, with Liddell’s stree t- fighting background set to match up well against Rua, who trained with the infamous Chutebox academy.

Liddell added: “It’s going to end up striking . We both strike a lot but his takedowns don’t impress me.

“With the ones I’ve seen from him in the past, I don’t think he’s got much chance of taking me down.

“But it’s going to be great. I’m going to come out swinging and throwing everything and I plan on knocking him out.”

Brazilian Muay Thai expert Shogun lost his debut UFC clash against Forrest Griffin in September after the American defeated him with a rear naked choke.

A host of ex-Pride fighters have struggled to make the transition from the ring to the cage and Liddell says fighting in the Octagon proves there is a step up in class.

The Iceman said: “ The reason some of the Pride guys aren’t performing well has to do with the fighters themselves and who they’re fighting with.

“There are a lot of good fighters in the UFC and the Pride guys have been used to just fighting with each other. Some of them are overrated.

“I saw a poll where Rameau Sokoudjou came third in the rankings and he’d been knocked out a year before that by a guy that fights out of my gym.

“The guy from my gym i s a tough fighter but isn’t even rated and has never fought in Pride or the UFC .

"But he knocked Sokoudjou out a little over a year ago.”

I dunno about title shot. He didn't look anywhere near ready against Rampage, he was out of sorts against Jardine and got the decision against Silva. He needs to be ready to KO if he wants to get past Rampage. He's also been getting caught far too many times in his last few fights and that is a big no-no against Rampage who will punish him.

I sure hope Shogun has worked on his conditioning though, gassing in the 2nd round... Not good!

I think they'll just give Liddell another shot because that's what everyone wants to see, whether he's ready or not.

I think they'll just give Liddell another shot because that's what everyone wants to see, whether he's ready or not.

It would be pointless shoving him there for him to get pwned again.

Doesn't anyone here remember that it will be Rampage and Griffin doing the upcoming Ultimate Fighter season?

Hint Hint?

Doesn't anyone here remember that it will be Rampage and Griffin doing the upcoming Ultimate Fighter season?

Hint Hint?

Yeah I would imagine those 2 will meet at the end of the run of Ultimate Fighter.

Damn. I heard that Brock was fighting someone whilst in the UK aswell. Thats out the window now.

Ah well, atleast if I get some tickets, I can go see Chucky do his stuff.

Rappy, you gonna buy some tickets? :D

Damn. I heard that Brock was fighting someone whilst in the UK aswell. Thats out the window now.

Ah well, atleast if I get some tickets, I can go see Chucky do his stuff.

Rappy, you gonna buy some tickets? :D

If they are cheap enough :D

Last time it was ?250 for Octogon-side! ?25 for right at the back! I'll watch it on TV me thinks!:p:p

Last time it was ?250 for Octogon-side! ?25 for right at the back! I'll watch it on TV me thinks!:p:p

I'll take :shifty:y:

I don't think I will be going then but I imagine to be Octogan side wouldbe awesome!

Liddell is the man, but it's funny how now he's fighting almost every other UFC event now. When he was the champ we got to see him once, maybe twice a year. He wants that belt back bad, but I don't think he can get past Rampage. I hope Rua is in better shape then when he fought Forest because that was just out and out embarassing.

Rua has been forced to back out of the fight.

Scheduled to make his return to the Octagon this June against Chuck Liddell at UFC 85 in London, light heavyweight star Mauricio ?Shogun? Rua has instead been forced to withdraw from the bout due to a ruptured ACL in his left knee, the same injury he had surgery on to repair last October after his UFC 76 fight with Forrest Griffin.

Surgery on the injured knee will be scheduled shortly, and there is no word on when Rua will be cleared to return to the Octagon.

Liddell?s opponent for UFC 85, which will be held at London?s O2 Arena on June 7th, will be announced shortly. As for Rua, he promises to be back and better than ever as soon as possible.

NOOOOO!!!!!

Damn, my incentives to get some tickets for this event are slowly evaporating away.

Yeah my thoughts exactly!

just announced.. the replacement for Shogun will be none other then Rashad Evans... should be interesting, for one because although some of rashad's fights are boring, he likes to stand up and bang... but the big kicker is that Rashad is as of right now undefeated in the UFC.. I'm not as excited for it as i was with shogun but should definitely be interesting.

Yeah I would imagine those 2 will meet at the end of the run of Ultimate Fighter.

yeah it was confirmed they will meet up for ufc 86 on July 5th i believe.

Liddell is the man, but it's funny how now he's fighting almost every other UFC event now. When he was the champ we got to see him once, maybe twice a year. He wants that belt back bad, but I don't think he can get past Rampage. I hope Rua is in better shape then when he fought Forest because that was just out and out embarassing.

That's not chuck's doing.. that's because not only is he buddy buddy with Dana White, but it's mostly because Chuck is a money maker.. every event chuck is in does really well with tickets and ppv. Now that couture is gone, chuck is the main money make for the UFC, they want to get him in as many events as possible.. when chuck is on top the ufc makes more money.

That's not chuck's doing.. that's because not only is he buddy buddy with Dana White, but it's mostly because Chuck is a money maker.. every event chuck is in does really well with tickets and ppv. Now that couture is gone, chuck is the main money make for the UFC, they want to get him in as many events as possible.. when chuck is on top the ufc makes more money.

I have to agree in a sense though I see many more interesting fighters I'd pay more to watch than Chuck. I think the UFC has more guns and if they could loose a Couture they can loose a Chuck without even flinching. They have been banking on all their cards.

• 1 month later...

Breaking News!

CHUCK LIDDELL INJURED; FORCED TO WITHDRAW FROM UFC? 85>

The Ultimate Fighting Championship? (UFC?) organisation announced today that Chuck Liddell has been forced to withdraw from the UFC 85 event. Liddell tore his hamstring last week while training for his June 7 bout with undefeated light heavyweight Rashad Evans.

"Unfortunately, Chuck Liddell tore his right hamstring during training last week, and being the warrior that he is, he still wanted to fight, which is the reason why everyone in the world loves him," said Dana White, UFC President. "But I wouldn't let anyone fight with his leg looking that way. Let him heal and come back and fight when he is 100 percent."

Full Story - UFC.com

There's a picture of the injury on there, trust me, it's shocking!

On a lighter note, they're gonna have a huge job taking down all the humongous "Chuck Liddell hits the UK" posters down around here:p :p

I watched that Alexander fight but is this a good replacement...no.

Is this event worth watching now...probably not.