Apple's iPhone SDK Press Conference

Please someone make an MMS app that works. Oh and a video recording/playback app.

Isn't it actually because of a law?

If you're not offering the device in a subscription based service, you have to charge for new features (or you have to do vcertain things to your accounting)?

So the iPhone gets new features for free, iPod (which has no subscription service) needs a small fee.

so then how have other companies included new features in free updates?

IMO, this is just an excuse apple use to get more money.

^ And iPods have always had free software updates until the iPod touch was released.

^ And iPods have always had free software updates until the iPod touch was released.

iPods have not had new features added until the Touch was released. When the iPod Touch was originally released, it was not the device it is today. It was a touch screen device that focused mainly on music, photos and videos, much like the original ipods did. When the hacking began on it, and opened it up to the features of the iphone, apple listened and started releasing new features for the Touch that were not originally promised to it.

The Touch still have free upgrades for bug fixes and the like. Just not feature upgrades.

so then how have other companies included new features in free updates?

IMO, this is just an excuse apple use to get more money.

Like?

I'll need an example before I can really respond.

Search Feature on 5G iPods ( Not the 5.5's ) ? among others

iPods have gotten feature updates.

iPods have not had new features added until the Touch was released.

Man, I forgot about that.

My Father's 5th gen iPod never got that feature.

So they are going to keep charging for apps for ipod touch, here's me thinking that first lot would be the key to unlocking free legit software in future. I will not be paying another cent for applications which should be free through a system which is basically appsnap installer thing brought to the market too late through a poor strategy, apple does not need money from ipod touch owners for applications. From now on i'll be sticking to the dark side as it's the logical and more freedom to develop and customer friendly applications and system for ipod touch and its owners. :hmmm:

I will not be paying another cent for applications which should be free through a system which is basically appsnap installer thing brought to the market too late through a poor strategy, apple does not need money from ipod touch owners for applications.

Are you serious?

Yes i'm serious. Imagine Microsoft with windows charging you for every application you install. Would not be nice to say the least.

Yes i'm serious. Imagine Microsoft with windows charging you for every application you install. Would not be nice to say the least.

Good thing Apple isn't charging you for every application you install.

If by bug fixes, you mean free updates, then yes. Only 2 updates have cost Touch users anything, and that was the update that added WiFi based positioning, iphone apps, and a few other new features. The second is this 2.0 update, again adding a whole host of new features. All the bug-fix updates have been free.

Bingo! I wouldn't say "contrast," since it's the exact same thing.

Well I was thinking contrast as microsoft and apple being to different companies that have differnt ideas on how things should work

Awesome. In that case, lets petition for microsoft to charge for windows vista SP1, and further updates if this is seen as acceptable. :ninja:

I'm not the only feeling this way: http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/06/iphone-...ments/10870388/ http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/06/apple-a...ments/10870710/

We're talking new applications and features here, not bug fixes... I think you're mixing them up.

iPod updates were always free. New apps are not free. That's how business works.

Awesome. In that case, lets petition for microsoft to charge for windows vista SP1, and further updates if this is seen as acceptable. :ninja:

I'm not the only feeling this way: http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/06/iphone-...ments/10870388/ http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/06/apple-a...ments/10870710/

This has already been discussed. See previous pages. Also on the apple discussion forums: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?t...07&tstart=0

You bought the Touch knowing full well what was promised to you. [thus the reason for your purchase] Apple doesn't have any obligation to offer it free to you, neither does any other company. Applications and the SDK could never have been released and you could live in that world if you wanted but they're freely giving you a choice to do what you want. (and as neofuse said, windows mobile charges for rom upgrades?)

What assuming from this: Touch users want iPhone users to be charged an "extra" fee in addition to the minimum $60 a month they already pay for their plan which is pretty absurd.

You don't have any obligation to use the App Store if you don't want to, so what's the problem? You paid an agreed upon price, for a set of agreed upon features.

Comparing this to Windows or PSP is like apples to oranges--they're not paying a subscription fee that's accounted for in the revenue of the iPhone plan. But as far as I know, MS Plus! was an extra charge. Windows Vista was an extra charge compared to Premium for extra security tools, business applications, and ultimate extras.

iPods have not had new features added until the Touch was released. When the iPod Touch was originally released, it was not the device it is today. It was a touch screen device that focused mainly on music, photos and videos, much like the original ipods did. When the hacking began on it, and opened it up to the features of the iphone, apple listened and started releasing new features for the Touch that were not originally promised to it.

The Touch still have free upgrades for bug fixes and the like. Just not feature upgrades.

Everyone who bought the iPhone/Touch from the beginning knew there were going to be future apps for it. Jobs himself said that at MacWorld when he introduced the iPhone. Apple took too long to release any & the JB community began. Why else does the iPhone have so many space left on the main screen.

Look, I have no problem paying for softwares. But having to pay to enter the store?

People were charged for that update. The 5G iPod never got it (I know; I have one). However, the 5.5G did.

Like?

I'll need an example before I can really respond.

Sony with the PSP? (web browser, numerous new codec support etc).

MS with the Zune? (the 2.0 update that allows wifi sync, or the new update that will allow XNA games)

MS with the 360? (do I even need to list these)

Sony with the PS3 (again, do I need to list them).

Don't get me wrong, I can see why apple are making iTouch owners pay for it (as they get a fair bit of money from iPhone owners via AT&T or O2 etc), but the excuse their using is nothing but BS imo.

We're talking new applications and features here, not bug fixes... I think you're mixing them up.

iPod updates were always free. New apps are not free. That's how business works.

Do you not understand that the iPhone and Touch run the same software, line of code for code? Do you not realise that when people bought the $20 upgrade for the touch all they did was change one .xml file on the device to unhide the icons for the apps?

You do realise they are making money by just hiding icons on the device. They don't to anything to port the code or do anything from the iPhone, just disable the features. 2.0 Will be no different and we will have to pay for yet another .xml file.

Nifty business strategy, but really.... Come on?

IF its free the iPhone there should be no reason it isn't for the Touch. they only want to stop people buying the touch because it would be an iPhone without the phone. Something i'd much prefer over the iPhone. I have a decent camera phone too. no reason for the phone. Its all comes down to business but its a ****.

Sony with the PSP? (web browser, numerous new codec support etc).

MS with the Zune? (the 2.0 update that allows wifi sync, or the new update that will allow XNA games)

MS with the 360? (do I even need to list these)

Sony with the PS3 (again, do I need to list them).

Sony's not an American company, and both the Zune and 360 have subscriptions.