The REAL reason we use linux

The REAL reason we use Linux

We tell people we use Linux because it's secure. Or because it's free, because it's customizable, because it's free (the other meaning), because it has excellent community support...

But all of that is just marketing bull****. We tell that to non-Linuxers because they wouldn't understand the real reason. And when we say those false reasons enough, we might even start to believe them ourselves.

But deep underneath, the real reason remains.

We use Linux because it's fun!

source

Found this in the German ubuntu forum... Somehow true :D

I would have to agree with that statement. I've been using linux for a few weeks now, and I will admit that it's fun to use.

Huh? I thought Linux was for the Microsoft-haters. Considering there is much better media and game support/availability in Windows (and nothing is easier to use), what exactly is fun about Linux?

for me, actually, my Work is FUN, linux just keeps running without pesking me to scan this/that or alarming me for some files, or doesnt slow down suddenly where i have to search registrys and clean it and defrag and all that shi*. linux does its thing quietly and lately the way it can look and they way compiz expands usability, its amazing and makes me think why wont anyone use it.

I'm a windows and os x user but i have to admit when i've used linux, especially ubuntu it is rather fun, never get any major issues with it either.

makes me think why wont anyone use it.

Because for most, until your able to play games on it without having to jump through massive hoops with emulators, it just isn't practical. Not to mention the vast majority of computer users don't want to take the time to learn a new OS. Think of all the bitching that has happened everytime a new version of windows comes out. The jump from windows to linux is much more vast.

For people who are technically sound I don't think it matters what OS you use; it can be customizable, reliable, and fun. IMHO (and this comes from 12+ years in the tech/engineering arena) all the 'issues' or 'problems' people seem to have with most OS's comes down to 1. Propaganda and 2. Not understanding how to use it or how it's suppose to work. All OS's are different but I haven't used an OS that I couldn't make do what I needed or wanted very easily or reliably. Of course there are bugs in ANY OS, linux included but for the most part I have never had any major issues with any of my windows, linux, or OS X computers and most people who claim they just hate this or that OS because it doesn't do this or that I've shown how to do exactly what they want to do and it never seems to have a problem after that which leads me to believe it was the user at fault not the software.

Yeah, maybe i use Linux because i like to mess things but the most important reason is because i like to know how things work and personalize them to my needs.

^Yeah, I remember editing the config.sys and autoexec.bat just to get enough free memory to run some games... those were the days :p Perhaps I just use linux for the retro feel of editing system text files ;)

...okay, pretty much hyperbole...

linux is far more fun than windows, it can be a f*cking pain to set up, completely destroy windows in the process, and have absolutely no functional value, but it still kicks ass =P

Huh? I thought Linux was for the Microsoft-haters. Considering there is much better media and game support/availability in Windows (and nothing is easier to use), what exactly is fun about Linux?

You obviously have a narrow and biased viewpoint on Linux. I am a very strong supporter of Linux, but you can search my each and every post and not find hatred of Microsoft.

Oddly, though, I find that some people on this forum just tend to spout hatred for things. Some for Google. Some for Apple. I know you don't much care for either of these from your posts. ;)

For me, supporting Linux is exactly that. Positive support for Linux. Not trash-talking Apple, Microsoft or others.

I wanted to try Linux just becuase I wanted to try a new OS and it is Fun.

After the fun like playing with terminal/console and having the power of the OS in your fingertips. Using Package Managers, using GUI for everything, knowing that you WILL NOT HAVE TO WORRY about VIRUSES or ETC was a major factor for me.

As I started using it more, It was still fun, but it was also mind releaving that I can play music, browse, play games that work in wine, do all the stuff I do on windows, but on Linux in a safe/secure environment.

Anyway, its not about Haterd on Microsoft, you narrow minded person. Its about what each individual likes.

I personally Like Linux, but also Windows because Hell I was brought up with it and its Great for Gaming.

But years from now, Linux will probably be supported in games. It will be uber amazing :D.

Cheers,

-Sikh.

Why do I use Linux? Because it's different, and there's about 1000 ways to do a task, which makes it fun. Needless to say, IMO, Linux needs more polishing than new features. (Like OS X has ^)

My initial reason for trying Linux was just to learn another OS and oddly enough, I find myself liking Linux (specifically Xubuntu) more than using Windows, it's an odd yet satisfying feeling when using it.

i still love my vista installs, but i have to admit after installing ubuntu and customizing it, i love it. i find myself using it more and more.