Apple Releases 2 New "Get A Mac" Ads

im a long time windows user... i hated macs from when i was in high school and we were forced to buy one. I now own one again and its a pleasure to work with.. I have windows on it in vmware just incase i need it but I find mac os to be able to do almost everything, But no one system can do everything you want ( as much as you think it can).... I love my mac, I cant say i love my pc to much unfortunately which has made my whole family switch to mac. Just the fact of; ease of use, backup, sleep (the sleep mode is awesome for lectures and at work), and many other aspects.

im a long time windows user... i hated macs from when i was in high school and we were forced to buy one. I now own one again and its a pleasure to work with.. I have windows on it in vmware just incase i need it but I find mac os to be able to do almost everything, But no one system can do everything you want ( as much as you think it can).... I love my mac, I cant say i love my pc to much unfortunately which has made my whole family switch to mac. Just the fact of; ease of use, backup, sleep (the sleep mode is awesome for lectures and at work), and many other aspects.

What can a mac do that my pc cannot?

Plays fine here, it's probably just Windows... Always is...

Plays just fine for me on IE7 in Windows Vista. Probably just someone's computer... Always is...

vista is not having problems. the problem really is people install it on machines that clearly cant handle it. i have been running vista since it came out with zero issues.
What can a mac do that my pc cannot?

ever heard of logic, i think most DJ's use it..... lots of DJ's have mac's because of this.... ssh is already setup to go (ssh is like one of the most powerful remote access program), spaces (build in this is really handy! I'm sure there's heaps more but I'm not going to go through it all.

Sleep mode again!

Edited by offroadaaron

ever heard of logic, i think most DJ's use it..... lots of DJ's have mac's because of this.... ssh it already setup to go (ssh is like one of the most powerful remote access program), spaces (build in this is really handy! I'm sure there's heaps more but I'm not going to go through it all.

Sleep mode again!

typical quote from a person who knows nothing about why macs are used by pro's more than pc's. heres a hint CMYK.

typical quote from a person who knows nothing about why macs are used by pro's more than pc's. heres a hint CMYK.
I'm not going to go through it all.

im not claiming to be a pro rofl, I'm a stardard work/home user.... kksorrypro rofl!

I can't wait for people to wise up and realize that anything that has lots of media attention is a failure- just look at the people running for president in the US right now and who all had to step down because of lack of media attention.

if the media is moving twords something- it's most likely to help control you as an individual... period.

I want to see apple get over the 50% market share and crush Microsoft- then I want people to realize their software is just as ****ty as Windows once it's been around long enough for people to grow tired of their **** just like with Microsoft- then I want everyone to wake the **** up and realize they are being controlled by corporations like Apple and Microsoft and take their lives into their own hands goddamnit!

-Dax

and what part of your computer is doing stuff in CMYK? -color profiles! just a quick heads up, the apple color pallet used in OSX can be installed on any OS including but not limited to: Windows!

lol, sorry but I had to take that stab- but on the other hand OSX does already have the pallets setup and ready to go while Windows is set to a standard RGB colorspace.

Plus it only matters on print anyway, lol

That's one flaw with Time Machine.

The majority of computers Apple sells are Notebooks.

I can't use Time Machine because I can't keep a HDD plugged in all the time (or frequently enough for it to be worth it).

Shadow Copy in Windows runs on the same HDD which works perfectly for me.

You can fix that one flaw in Time Machine rather easily. Repartition your Mac hard drive into two partitions (Disk Utility), setup Time Machine to use that second partition, and then exclude the System folder. Then you effectively are doing the same thing as Shadow Copy: keeping file backups on the same drive.

Not so - Shadow Copy is available on all versions of Vista - the front-end interface is only available in said versions. You can access the shadow copies in all editions of Vista via a program like the free Shadow Explorer.

That still does not change the fact that Complete PC Backup is still only available in the expensive versions.

calculating time remaining

calculating time remaining... :woot:

Zero problems

You do realize that bug has been fixed right?

and what part of your computer is doing stuff in CMYK? -color profiles! just a quick heads up, the apple color pallet used in OSX can be installed on any OS including but not limited to: Windows!

lol, sorry but I had to take that stab- but on the other hand OSX does already have the pallets setup and ready to go while Windows is set to a standard RGB colorspace.

Plus it only matters on print anyway, lol

CMYK = Four colour print = DTP = Graphic Designers = Mac users. He wasn't referring to colour profiles but to the fact that Macs are used for desktop publishing where is dominant platform.

In the end use whatever floats your boat. The features mentioned as Mac only aren't limited to Mac. Just because Windows doesn't have them out of the box doesn't mean they're not possible. A lot of stuff OSX has nowadays has been possible via 3rd party software on Windows for years. I am more puzzled to read why so many Mac users, even though they despise Windows, run it through Bootcamp. Ironically, majority (by reading Neowin and other forums I visit) run the same hated Vista instead of XP. Go figure. By no means this is a fact, just observation.

Couldn't care less about ads. Personally, Apple heavily bashing MS/PC would only make me less likely to purchase their product. It's a personal preference. I would much like them to point out where Mac shines rather than bashing the competition.

It's just strange to compare Mac hardware with Windows and MS which have nothing to do with it. IMO, Mac vs PC had meaning discussing when it was a different platform. Macs use same hardware. Discussion could be Apple vs HP/Dell or OSX vs Windows/Linux/Whatever and not Mac vs Microsoft.

Edit: A question. Why is that Windows users are always portrayed as if the only thing you use/can use/do on Windows is run Office? As if everything evolves around it.

Edited by richter

I think half of the people here have forgotten the audience the adverts are aimed at: N00bs!

Clearly, they buy this, otherwise Apple wouldn't keep making the adverts.

I disagree, it's pretty clear to me the ads are targeted at current mac zealots, boosting the cult to keep up the anti-vista fud campaign.

It's another failed attempt at a "halo" effect. If the troops are strong, they'll browbeat the non-tech into believing the nonsense in the ads and maybe they'll by a mac.

They have to do something with all the negative press they've been receiving over being hacked first and by their own buggy browser.

You can fix that one flaw in Time Machine rather easily. Repartition your Mac hard drive into two partitions (Disk Utility), setup Time Machine to use that second partition, and then exclude the System folder. Then you effectively are doing the same thing as Shadow Copy: keeping file backups on the same drive.

But then it defeats the point of Time Machine, and you inhibit all the same problems of shadow copies. The point is to put backups on another disk that won't be affected if your notebook hard drive dies.

Sleep mode again!

I hope you realize that sleep mode has been present in Windows since Windows 95. Windows then goes 1 step further by introducing Hibernation, where you system is completely powered off, yet when you resume power, it goes back to exactly where you left off avoiding a full system re-boot.

As for the Mac ads, think of this: You go into a car dealership, and instead of the dealer telling you all the great things about the car you want to buy, he just tells you about all the negative things about the competiting car in that class. Is that going to prompt you to buy this car? If you are a logical person, the answer should be a resounding NO. You don't know anything about this car at all, since the dealer was only talking about the competitor.

Hmm, I probably first considered a Mac because of the adverts. The adverts didn't make me want to buy one though, because they tell you nothing about what you can do on a Mac and how to do it. Actually using one has caused me to crave more; unlike Vista which I find to be rather mundane.

These latest two ads are borderline out right lies, but it's clear the whole marketing campaign is aimed at certain people, not all of us, and probably not the sort of people who spend time on Neowin.

For example, one of the ads is trying to bitch about the "confusing" choice you have to make when buying a PC and choosing which OS to run, and that with a Mac you don't have that issue. Well, some people want that choice and flexibility, others don't. Some people buy a computer to do certain things and don't care how it does them, as long as it does them.

Some people like ****ing about with configuration and drivers et al in order to tailor their machine to be exactly what they want, others really don't want to make that effort.

Another thing is the emphasis on PCs being for work.. I think that's a bad part of the ads. If I buy a Mac I need to know I can get work done on it, the ads don't back this up. Then I remember, these ads are not aimed at CS students, they're aimed at the middle aged people who resent being forced to use computers at work, and always thought PC = (Windows && spyware).

The thread title should be changed to "Apple releases 2 new pieces of flamebait".

:rofl:

I hope you realize that sleep mode has been present in Windows since Windows 95. Windows then goes 1 step further by introducing Hibernation, where you system is completely powered off, yet when you resume power, it goes back to exactly where you left off avoiding a full system re-boot.

As for the Mac ads, think of this: You go into a car dealership, and instead of the dealer telling you all the great things about the car you want to buy, he just tells you about all the negative things about the competiting car in that class. Is that going to prompt you to buy this car? If you are a logical person, the answer should be a resounding NO. You don't know anything about this car at all, since the dealer was only talking about the competitor.

Maybe Macs do better at showing their users what they can do? I've not used Macs enough to determine this for myself, but with Windows (and Linux) you have to find it out for yourself, usually by accident :p

But then it defeats the point of Time Machine, and you inhibit all the same problems of shadow copies. The point is to put backups on another disk that won't be affected if your notebook hard drive dies.

Did you not read what I was replying to? Someone brought up the point that Time Machine can be useless for notebook users as they may not have constant access to an external hard drive. A MacBook on the go can't be tethered to a USB/FireWire hard drive every hour for Time Machine. The user then said that Shadow Copy was more useful to that person, because backups are kept on the internal hard drive. I then explained how to achieve the exact same thing with Time Machine. Of course this defeats the purpose of Time Machine, but that is what the user wanted.

...time capsule? :D

...time capsule? biggrin.gif

not a bad idea for a new feature- you somehow keep a ghost of your working hard drive (somewhere) in a more secure storage area... hmmm

• 1 month later...

So yesterday my sister comes up to me and goes, "You know they have two more mac commercials?" And I said, "Yeah, I saw those." and then she says, "Hahaha your PC sucks ******!" So I'm like "Go ahead, go ahead and believe in your Apple fairytale. Believe in your bogus Apple lies so that you can be brainwashed like sheep and suck on the milk bag of corporate America!" And then I laughed at her pitiful soul and I said, "I pity you, I'm going to play Assasins Creed." and I left. That totally showed the bitch.

I like Mac ...

but ....

One of the ads says that Mac hardware and software are all made by the one company ... erm ... no ... it's all made by the same companies that make PC stuff.

Hardware ... Intel ... ATI ... Nvidia ... etc ....

software ... Apple... Microsoft.. erm ... not much else. lol

But see ... isn't that kinda lying to the public? :)